Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
A schedule change of 10 min and still being within MCT at MUC does not give you any right to reschedule via FRA (let alone to a free rebooking to a higher booking class). You received the correct respond from the agent. A SEN or HON should have gotten the same reply as you.

Most likely you will make that connection. 60 min at MUC is more than sufficient.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Schedule change - KL flights allowed?

Hi,

Last month I purchased ATH-FRA-AMS AMS-MUC-ATH with the outbound leg in S18. Today I received a notification regarding a schedule change. Turns out my outbound flight has moved a few minutes, going below MCT in FRA and they have rescheduled me on a flight 4 hours earlier.

This flight will be very inconvenient for me as I have a lot of traveling to do to reach the airport, and this probably means leaving the day before - effectively losing almost a full day. But LH does not have any other flights scheduled that do roughly fall in the original departure window.

Their email links to a 'contact us' page which shows a "Page not found" error. Great start. Nowhere on their website I seem to be able to find a contact form or email address for these matters either. Strange, is the only way to handle these by phone?

There are basically three flights that would somewhat fit my schedule, but the only one that fits as good as the original one..is a KLM flight. Second would be LX to GVA and KL to AMS, and last TK through IST. Will I have any chance at all for any of these?

Thanks and happy holidays

Last edited by Xandrios; Dec 25, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
The flights you are entitled and the ones you will be offered are two different things. EU261 entitles you the next best option regardless of the airline. LH will offer you LH flights, a free cancellation. Maybe LX. I had quite a fuss after a schedule change.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:03 pm

Thanks. That was my impression as well, and I was hoping for some past experiences. Are they flexible at all on these things, or does it never happen? Were you able to get the flights that you wanted in the end?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It took me less than 30 seconds to find a local Athens phone number for LH. +30 210 6175200. Call it. Do not email.

EC 261/2004 does not say anything about "next best" All it requires is rerouting under "comparable transport conditions." There is no precedential case holding that rerouting on another carrier is required. Nonetheless, you have three options: A: cancel for a full refund; B: reroute under comparable transport conditions, or C: reroute at some later time.

If your flight is within 14 days of the notice, you may also be entitled to delay cancellation depending on the ultimate changes which must be made and the delay at your final ticketed destination.

As a starting point, you should do the research. Write down the options and then call LH. Ask for what you want by providing the information. It is a lot easier to get what you want when you provide the details and make it easy. LH will need to have an interline ticketing agreement with the carrier you propose.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP states that the travel is in S18 so clearly we are (far) outside the 2 weeks window for compensation.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Are they flexible at all on these things, or does it never happen?

This far out there is very little flexibility. From my own experience LH call center agents will not even rebook you OAL even if your cancellation is on the day of travel (you need to approach airport staff to succeed that)

LH is not going to rebook you on KL. In their view leaving 4 hours earlier is not really inconvenient. You may be able to get rebooked to OS or LX, but to KL - forget it. Ask for a (full) refund and book the flights directly with KL

Last edited by SK AAR; Dec 26, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The order is LH Group, *A and then OAL, but the latter only if no alternative is available at all. KL has to take the coupon value what LH charged you and will protest to LH what they are doing to them. The interlining agreements were drafted in a different spirit...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:06 am

Thanks guys. Called in (to the German number, as the Dutch number is an expensive toll one) and they were indeed only able to offer LH group flights. There was nothing that really fit well in my schedule so I canceled and rebooked with Transavia out of KLX instead of ATH.

Not great as this means that effectively there are no more flights between ATH<>AMS that fit my schedule properly, but at least for this specific flight things are OK now.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:57 am

If the new flights were more expensive you have a solid base to file for reimbursement of the difference (and waste a couple months waiting for a 5* response).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack
If the new flights were more expensive you have a solid base to file for reimbursement of the difference (and waste a couple months waiting for a 5* response).
??

If the OP decided to take a refund rather than let LH do the rebooking (albeit to LH group flights only) there is no basis for reimbursement of the difference. No doubt such request will be denied (and rightfully as well). There is no duty on LH to rebook on any flights that pax requests. As long as LH group flights will do, the OP is not entitled to be rebooked OAL.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
schedule change, how to accept

Hi, one of my reservations on LH shows
A schedule change has occurred on this trip. Please acknowledge it and choose your trip options again (seats, meals,...) (15070)
--> I don't see any acknowledge button on the website. So how does one needs to acknowledge this ? Do I need to call to the call center ?

Then on another reservation, it shows a slightly different message :

A schedule change has occurred on this trip. Please contact our call center in case you want to change or cancel this reservation. (15069) --> no question to acknowledge this

So, should I contact the call center or not ?
Old May 28, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
You need to call the call centre to acknowledge the schedule change.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Do you have your email address registered and agreed to receive communication by email?

When there have been schedule changes of more than 15 minutes I usually receive email notifications giving me 14 days to make changes free of charge.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:37 am

MUC connection reduced from 4h to 40 mins, FCL gone!

Hey there,
Wondering if anyone here would be able to advise:
i took advantage of the recent release of LH F (O Class) space and booked a flight via AV Lifemiles.
I just saw that my connecting flight from MUC has been cancelled due to a reschedule. (The flight is not sold anymore)
1) I have not been notified by LH nor AV of this cancellation
2) as far as I can see, no rebooking has been done on any alternative
3) most importantly, the only alternative would mean that my connection will be reduced from 4h to 40 mins, effectively eliminating any chance of visiting the F lounge. As we FTers all know, visiting an LH F lounge is a big part of the experience and I would like to try to salvage the situation.

The problem with MUC is that minimum connecting time is 35 mins so I am technically legal.
Also, in these situations it's better to be proactive rather than wait for them to suggest an alternative.
Could I ask them to rebook to an alternative city which has a later flight (ZRH instead of GVA) and if so, what reason should I give to justify the change considering I would still have a legal connection to GVA? I have to be in ZRH the next day anyway, so actually it would suit me even better...but that's not a reason that would fly with the phone agent I have a feeling...
many thanks in advance!

Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
You require minimum 2-3 hours in MUC as you have a business meeting with an associate at the airport
sapman986, united78 and AceReport like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.