Lufthansa seating help

Old Jun 30, 12, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Lufthansa seating help

Hi All,

I first posted this in another area and another poster felt I could get some good help here.

We have booked a trip to Europe for a cruise in June, 2013. We are flying Lufthansa from Chicago to Frankfort and then Frankfort to Barcelona courtesy of ff miles (thanks United!).

I am 6'4" and have a 20 year old son who is 6'5" and we're both all legs. Is there a way to reserve decent seats on Lufthansa? Is there a way to even contact them? I'd be willing to pay something for two of us to upgrade. The other three in the family who are going with are all 5'6" to 5'9" so I may make them suffer in economy. According to seat guru there are some decent seats but I'm not sure how I could go about reserving them. I am a premier silver so I could wait for an upgrade but would prefer locking something in. Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 30, 12, 1:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mclymerne View Post
We have booked a trip to Europe for a cruise in June, 2013. We are flying Lufthansa from Chicago to Frankfort and then Frankfort to Barcelona courtesy of ff miles (thanks United!).

I am 6'4" and have a 20 year old son who is 6'5" and we're both all legs. Is there a way to reserve decent seats on Lufthansa? Is there a way to even contact them? I'd be willing to pay something for two of us to upgrade. The other three in the family who are going with are all 5'6" to 5'9" so I may make them suffer in economy. According to seat guru there are some decent seats but I'm not sure how I could go about reserving them. I am a premier silver so I could wait for an upgrade but would prefer locking something in. Thanks for any help.
There are two daily LH flights from ORD to FRA (spelled Frankfurt by the way) and I'm assuming you are travelling in Economy (coach). If the decent seats you refer to are exit row seats (row 32 on the 747 and row 30 on the 343) they can only be reserved in advance by M&M's own Gold members. Anyone can get them on the day of travel if they are still available.

Don't expect to be upgraded on award tickets. I'm afraid the only way to "upgrade" is to spend more of your UA miles to get Business awards.
Old Jul 1, 12, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mclymerne View Post
Hi All,

I first posted this in another area and another poster felt I could get some good help here.

You can not use your UA status for any kind of complimentary seat upgrade on any other *A carrier, nor are award seats upgradeable under any circumstance unless you spend more miles or cash to move up (but at that point it really isn't an upgrade, you just buy up to the next class). Like NR said, LH reserves their best seats for their best customers.
Old Sep 14, 12, 12:04 pm

Programs: Miles and More
It totally depends on your class of service you are booked in... Averything in Q, S, G,W,U,T etc. cannot be upgraded at the check in. Y,O, B... classes can be upgraded at the airport against a lot of money. If you have a miles and more account with enough miles you maybe able to use your miles for an upgrade. Other than that you can try to get the seats "NewbieRunner" was talking about. But without the M&M status it's going to be tricky...

Search this Thread