Champagne in LH business class?

Old Jun 26, 12, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Does LH serve Champagne in business class on short-haul flights throughout Europe? If so, does anyone know what they usually pour?

I really like the small bottles of Piper-Heidsieck that BA serves in Club Europe, and was hoping LH had something similar.
Old Jun 26, 12, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

No champagne on short haul.
Old Jun 26, 12, 4:49 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
They do on LX. On a shorthaul flight recently my seat neighbour asked for sparkling wine. The FA apologised they didn't have any but brought him a small bottle of champagne instead.
Old Jun 26, 12, 5:04 pm

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
They do on LX. On a shorthaul flight recently my seat neighbour asked for sparkling wine. The FA apologised they didn't have any but brought him a small bottle of champagne instead.
LH serve Sekt, the German counterpart. LX have small bottles of champagne (Laurent P if I'm not mistaken) like BA (Piper H IIRC).

SN even have proper .75L bottles on short-haul. Once a bottle is open, they really try to empty it on a 1 hr flight with 2 pax in C
Old Jun 26, 12, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by macabus View Post
Does LH serve Champagne in business class on short-haul flights throughout Europe? If so, does anyone know what they usually pour?

I really like the small bottles of Piper-Heidsieck that BA serves in Club Europe, and was hoping LH had something similar.
BA serves Pommery and has done so for quite a while.
Old Jun 26, 12, 6:52 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz Five Star
On a recent flight MAD-FRA, the menu indicated that they had the German "sparkling" available.

However, when I asked for it, the lead FA stated that the MAD catering did not load it, and offered an Italian Prosecco instead. I did not get the name of it.
Old Jun 27, 12, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Which is kind of like asking for a beer and being brought a lager.

All champagne is sparkling wine, not all sparkling wine is champagne.
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
On a recent flight MAD-FRA, the menu indicated that they had the German "sparkling" available.

However, when I asked for it, the lead FA stated that the MAD catering did not load it, and offered an Italian Prosecco instead. I did not get the name of it.
Prosecco on LH and OS come from Mionetto- a large producer in Valdobiadene.

Most of the time Prosecco is better than Champagne- with the exception of course for the very top Champagne which is wonderful- however you will rarely find it on any airline except F class SQ.
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
LX were serving champagne from a full size bottle on my recent euro C hops... (Oddly I also spied small bottles in the bar cart).
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:16 am

Programs: LH SEN
LX serves Laurent Perrier in small or large bottles. A month ago, they offered me either the small bottle or a glass from the standard bottle. Choose the big one if you can, it is better. Actually, they offered me the small bottle as a take-away
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myfanfan9 View Post
LX serves Laurent Perrier in small or large bottles. A month ago, they offered me either the small bottle or a glass from the standard bottle. Choose the big one if you can, it is better. Actually, they offered me the small bottle as a take-away
Laurent Perrier has some very good products- I am not aware of any differences between the small bottle and the larger bottles- however I suppose their could be some perceived difference?
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:23 am

The small bottle on LX intra-Europe was Heidsieck & Co. Monopole Blue Top at the end of May.

On a 40 min flight we managed to finish the big bottle between two of us in C! Great service by the FA.
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:25 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
LX were serving champagne from a full size bottle on my recent euro C hops... (Oddly I also spied small bottles in the bar cart).
Originally Posted by myfanfan9 View Post
The same here on BCN-ZRH and then ZRH-FCO in May. I asked for "bubbly" and was offered from large bottle of Laurent Perrier. And I was sitting in whY!!! Both flights were somehow "lucky for me". Was with Mrs vbroucek on EUSTAR4 ticket, got emergency seats on both sectors, champagne... What else could I wish for
Old Jun 27, 12, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Laurent Perrier has some very good products- I am not aware of any differences between the small bottle and the larger bottles- however I suppose their could be some perceived difference?
I bet - in a blind test - most FTers would not even taste the difference between Champagne, Sekt, and Prosecco ....
Old Jun 27, 12, 5:18 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
I bet - in a blind test - most FTers would not even taste the difference between Champagne, Sekt, and Prosecco ....
I bet you would be sorry for such a bet... Though, I am aware of one blind test where experts were asked to distinguish one particular Australian sparkling wine with from particular brand of "proper" champagne and the success rate was around 50% or less. The problem there was that the Australian sparkling was made to exact recipe (and using same process) as the French champagne, by company that owned both of them - Pernod :-) Will leave the names out, but I am sure there are some people who will know...

Search this Thread