Wiki Posts
Search

General questions about upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:24 am
Original Poster

General questions about upgrades

I need your help....

I can "pay" for my Business class seat outright since I have enough miles on my account to do that . However my folks don't they only have the 70.000 they would require for a Y or B class ticket upgrade TA. Now even if they book the 300 odd days in advance there is still no garantee they would even get the upgrade since they don't have status. So we are currently debating just letting them buy regular cheap seats in eco and be done with it. While I buy my business class seat and let my mom use it on the exit route while I would use it on the way home since I have to work the next day.

The routing is FRA to SEA to ANC and back middle of June

What do the experts say to this idea or do you have a better one???

Last edited by moeve; Jun 6, 2012 at 4:00 am
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by moeve
I need your help....

I can "pay" for my Business class seat outright since I have enough miles on my account to do that . However my folks don't they only have the 70.000 they would require for a Y or B class ticket upgrade TA. Now even if they book the 300 odd days in advance there is still no garantee they would even get the upgrade since they don't have status. So we are currently debating just letting them buy regular cheap seats in eco and be done with it. While I buy my business class seat and let my mom use it on the exit route while I would use it on the way home since I have to work the next day.

The routing is FRA to SEA to ANC and back middle of June

What do the experts say to this idea or do you have a better one???
Even if you have status, there is no guarantee that you will get the upgrade. I have SEN status and am waitlisted most of the time for Business class upgrades, even when I book months in advance. Sometimes, I do not get the upgrade. If Business Class is booked completely, you will not have a chance!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

That is exactly why I wil probably have a tough time explaining why they had to spend and extra 3 to 500 Euros on those higher booking classes only not got get those upgrades anyway.....

I guess I will probably go to having them buy 2 eco seats with their miles as approx 400 Euros on this route is still a bargin.

Still if anyone else has any creative ideas feel free......
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Upgrades and awards book into the same bucket. And they can of course be confirmed at purchasing times.

Just buy the ticket on the phone and only buy it if the inventory is there.

And of course there is a difference between SEN-- and even lower elites, you can always waitlist for Biz award space and it will be reviewed by IM. One of two reasons to still keep some miles with the dying M&M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.