Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Post Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

After exploring the cabin during the inaugural I've come up with some thoughts on which seats I think are best/worst in each cabin. My full notes are here but I'm too lazy to embed the images in this thread; those are in the blog post here. I hope the text is sufficient to help folks make informed decisions.

First Class

There isn’t really a bad seat in the nose of the 747-8i, but I’m quite partial to 1 A/K because of the nose curve. The D/G seat pair is a good option as a couple traveling together, though I’d still try for 1A/K.

Business Class

With 86 Business Class seats on the plane there are plenty to choose from, at least in theory. That said, there are definitely some which are more comfortable and spacious than others.

On the upper deck I like row 84 for the extra bit of space in front of the seats. There is still a hard bulkhead there, but if you stand up and are climbing out of the window you’re not actually grabbing another passenger’s seat for balance. Also on the upper deck there are decent sized overhead bins, though smaller than those on the main deck, and the side wall storage bins are available for window seat passengers. The seats are the same as those in the window pairs downstairs, slightly narrower an angle than the center pair downstairs, making it a bit more cozy with your seatmate. Finally, the upper deck is a tiny bit louder than the main deck. Not a ton and not enough to bother me at all, but it is.

On the main deck the center pairs are my preferred seats. The slightly wider angle provides a more spacious feeling and more space on the shared foot area. Plus, no climbing over neighbors. The proximity of rows 4, 9, 10 and 14 to lavs and galleys makes them rather less appealing overall. Row 14, in particular, is where the economy cabin lavs are so there is more traffic back there. The pasenger to lav ratio on the main deck is pretty rough, especially compared to upstairs. I didn’t see queuing when on the flight but I wasn’t sitting there the whole time so that’s not really a great measure.

Overall my choice would be upstairs, especially if you want a window seat anyways. If you’re going for an aisle the center column downstairs offers the benefits of slightly quieter and no climbing neighbor, at the expense of a worse lav ratio and slightly busier crew serving that area.

Economy Cabin

There are, by my count, only six very good seats in economy on the plane. The are the four seats in row 21 and 22 A/K. They have unlimited legroom and 22 A/K have a window with a decent view and can get in and out without bothering the folks also in their row. The drawback of these seats is typical of other bulkhead seats: tray/IFE in the arm rest and no underseat storage. Those are trade-offs I’m willing to make in exchange for the legroom. The downside of sitting in this area, particularly row 22, is the proximity to the lavs. Expect to see a lot of foot traffic in the area.

Next up in terms of decent seats are the bulkhead seats at 22 DEFG and 34. There is a bit of extra leg room but you cannot stretch your legs all the way forward. And, like the other bulkheads, fixed seat dividers. The bulkhead at row 34 is also the bassinet positions so there is a decent chance of babies there.

If you don’t mind being the last people off the plane and the last people to get meal service then the pairs at rows 45-47 have a lot of space on the fuselage side of the seats. That space isn’t supposed to be used during take-off and landing, but there is a lot of room there once in flight.

The IFE boxes sit at the outboard side of the seat mount brackets for the A, E and K columns. This slightly reduces foot space at those seats.

The other interesting foot space issue comes in the DEFG column of seats. There are four seats but still only two mount points to the floor. The vertical risers are roughly about a third of the way in to the E and F seats. This creates a situation where there are only three foot wells for the four passengers in that area. The E/F passengers will have to straddle the mounting riser and share partially with the D/G passengers. Because of the way the IFE box is mounted at the E seat that column ends up having the worst foot space of any of the coach seats.

There are a handful of overhead bin locations which have cabin equipment at them, making them unavailable for passenger use. The Sky Interior overheads mostly make that a non-issue in terms of accommodating all the cabin baggage, but still worth being aware of the following limited locations:
  • 24 ABC/HJK has magazine storage.
  • 33 ABC has safety equipment
  • 35ABC overhead has bassinets

I sat in 31 D for most of the flight. I was quite fortunate that 31 E was unoccupied as that definitely helped things out. The four reasonably broad guys in the bulkhead at 22 didn’t look all that happy about their predicament, but they survived, too.

Economy is never a great seating experience and this is no exception, but it is definitely better than the old 744 setup and it was tolerable.

So, any questions???

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 3, 2012 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:46 am

Great report!
How close are the two middle seats in F to the window seats? On some other airlines the footrest on the middle seats is smaller and the aisle is fairly narrow between the footrests and the window seats (like on Thai and Asiana). This has the effect that people constantly bump either into the footrest or the seat.
Same here?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Great report!
How close are the two middle seats in F to the window seats?

It seems spacious enough to me, but perhaps not for some folks.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 13, 2015 at 9:50 am
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Great and detailed report!

But please don't give the mad men at LH not ideas which seats to make un-reservable for SENs and other unwanted elites :
Originally Posted by sbm12
..There are, by my count, only six very good seats in economy on the plane. The are the four seats in row 21 and 22 A/K. They have unlimited legroom and 22 A/K..
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Originally Posted by weero
Great and detailed report!

But please don't give the mad men at LH not ideas which seats to make un-reservable for SENs and other unwanted elites :
I was in 22A on the FRA-IAD leg of the inaugural turnaround and I can tell you it was very nice. Many passengers asked me how I got that seat.

If you want to do pictures/videos on take-off/landing it is less than ideal as you will mostly have wing view. The wing will block most of your view. Otherwise the 22A/K are the best seats in the Y cabin.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:00 pm

If you don’t mind being the last people off the plane and the last people to get meal service then the pairs at rows 45-47 have a lot of space on the fuselage side of the seats. That space isn’t supposed to be used during take-off and landing, but there is a lot of room there once in flight.

The IFE boxes sit at the outboard side of the seat mount brackets for the A, E and K columns. This slightly reduces foot space at those seats.
I sat in 46B on the inaugural out of IAD. We got meal and drink service first every time, and the FAs did not tell us not to use the space on the side of the seats during takeoff and landing (though they may start, of course). The only downside is that the IFE box is in the B column here at least, so it's a little tighter, but the side room more than makes up for it for stretching out. There's enough room from the lavatories that movement wasn't much of an issue.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:22 am

Many thanks for the detailled review !

.. as I'm going to be on that plane next week I can rly make good use of your comments
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
I was in 1A this weekend. Very comfortable seat. I like the curve of the nose. But, as happens so often when I sit in that seat on many airlines, FA do not just walk past, and they sometimes forget the pax up there. It took a while to get refills on water without bringing it to their attention.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: BA blue, AVIS, Air Canada Aeroplan, Hilton Gold
Pitch on new Lufthansa 747-8 in economy ?

Greetings from Sweden !

On seatguru it states the following about the seatpitch and width on the new Lufthansa 747-8 in economy: Economy Class: 31.0" 20.07"

Is it even possible that the seatwidth in economy is 20.07 ?
If so that would be the biggest seatwidth in an economy-class seat that I ever had heard about !

Link to the seatguru page about Lufthansa,s new 747-8:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...eing_747_8.php

Kind regards

Peter Marschall
Sweden
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SouthSwedish
Greetings from Sweden !

On seatguru it states the following about the seatpitch and width on the new Lufthansa 747-8 in economy: Economy Class: 31.0" 20.07"

Is it even possible that the seatwidth in economy is 20.07 ?
If so that would be the biggest seatwidth in an economy-class seat that I ever had heard about !

Link to the seatguru page about Lufthansa,s new 747-8:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...eing_747_8.php

Kind regards

Peter Marschall
Sweden
That would indeed be impressive if true. I am skeptical, however; how on earth can LH squeeze 20" seats into a 3-4-3 config in an airframe that I thought was substantially equivalent to the 744 as far as cabin width goes.

What is less impressive is the quoted width of the J seats - ranging from 19 and change to 26 inches wide. That's quite a range, and would certainly mean a significant range in the J experience.

That said, LH J upstairs would be a nice change...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:10 am

I suspect the answer is not yet known, but where (if any) are the bassinet positions in C, on the 747-8??
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
That would indeed be impressive if true. I am skeptical, however; how on earth can LH squeeze 20" seats into a 3-4-3 config in an airframe that I thought was substantially equivalent to the 744 as far as cabin width goes.
Cabin with is 20.1ft / 6.1m. 10 abreast at 20" should probably fit if you included the armrests in and have narrow aisles.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dannyrado
I suspect the answer is not yet known, but where (if any) are the bassinet positions in C, on the 747-8??
In C they are at row 10. In Y they are at row 34.
Originally Posted by SouthSwedish

Is it even possible that the seatwidth in economy is 20.07 ?[/url]
Only if you include the arm rests. Hardly a surprise that SeatGuru has bad data.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:56 am

Is there any bassinet position in F?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:29 pm

Trip Report: First Class in the new 747-8

Great report!

I had a great time on my flight on the 747-8i - I was only pax in F!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.