Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I think I don't recall a sinlge LH longhaul flight where the temperature didn't hit 30 degrees at one point during the flight...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I think I don't recall a sinlge LH longhaul flight where the temperature didn't hit 30 degrees at one point during the flight...
Fahrenheit or Celsius or both?!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
That's quite strange thing with LH, unlike BA, which keeps the plane freezing cold during the flight
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I doubt they have improved the aircon on the 748. The 744 is notoriously ineffective in adjusting temperature by zone, the crew just put it to one setting and leave it there.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I doubt they have improved the aircon on the 748. The 744 is notoriously ineffective in adjusting temperature by zone, the crew just put it to one setting and leave it there.
Strange- I typically find the temperature on the 744 to be OK. The plane I find consistently has the largest variations is the A340 which can be either too hot or too cold.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I found the temperature in the UD and the B section to be horrid.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by myfanfan9
I have to disagree with the statement. LH is always too warm in the front cabin.
Especialy if seated in middle 3D/G seats, temperature in F cabin is much too high for the entire flight, including before take off.
So you had a recent experience on a LH 748 aircraft?

I had and I can confirm it was terribly cold on the ground and the crew had no option to adjust. It was not just cold, it was terribly cold.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Strange- I typically find the temperature on the 744 to be OK. The plane I find consistently has the largest variations is the A340 which can be either too hot or too cold.
Same here, the 744 UD had always the best climate comfort IMHO. Whereas the A340, in particular the A340-600 had only two controls: By far too warm or by far too cold.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:41 am

Just went of a A380 flight this morning and the temperature was okay the entire flight IMHO, at least in the front UD.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland

I had and I can confirm it was terribly cold on the ground and the crew had no option to adjust. It was not just cold, it was terribly cold.
Three weeks ago, FRA-HKG and return. Both cases, way too hot in the plane, before takeoff, during the meal and especially during the "sleeping time". I had to sleep above the blanket.

The crew were also suffering from the heat, whereas people seated along the windows were complaining about cold draft. As I was travelling as couple, the only correct option was the middle seats!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by myfanfan9
Three weeks ago, FRA-HKG and return. Both cases, way too hot in the plane, before takeoff, during the meal and especially during the "sleeping time". I had to sleep above the blanket.

The crew were also suffering from the heat, whereas people seated along the windows were complaining about cold draft. As I was travelling as couple, the only correct option was the middle seats!
Yeah, travelling as a couple is not an easy one on that plane. When I booked the FRA-LAX a couple weeks ago the two middle seats were already taken. So I chose 1A and 1K. Another couple ended up in 2A and 3K and I still remember the lady in 2K just behind, which was Maria Sharapova on her way to meet Jimbo and announce him as her new trainer.

Actually when I asked to heat up after boarding (It was really just about 15C (60F) - no kidding) I was told by the FA that they can't do anything against it. After all the complaints about too warm planes the B748 design was set way to cool. This is what we got told. It went better, even a little bit too warm during the flight.

After all I was not impressed about the 748. Bad layout for travelling as a couple, all happens behind, no way to see when the lavs are occupied, more shaky than the UD. If I would have a choice of aircraft - which I usually never have since route and schedule counts - the 748 would be the last choice in the LH fleet.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I still remember the lady in 2K just behind, which was Maria Sharapova on her way to meet Jimbo and announce him as her new trainer.

Actually when I asked to heat up after boarding (It was really just about 15C (60F) - no kidding) I was told by the FA that they can't do anything against it.
May be Sharapova was the reason to keep the cabin cold, since people in the F cabin will get HOT when seeing her
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie

Just off a 748 in F, 1A, night flight. Same experience here. Freezing cold prior to t/o and some minutes after t/o (from a warm and humid MIA FWIW). Air blowing directly in my face, no adjustments to direct the air stream possible. Several F pax complained and they raised the temp to an acceptable level after t/o (took a while to feel an improvement). During sleeping time it was too warm. So a proper aircon seems to be one of the unsolved challenges of air transport.

1A and 1K feel private but the regular traffic to the front cabinet to stow the bedding before landing can be disturbing when skipping the bf and trying to sleep as long as possible. For the fainthearted, the noise coming from rain or thunder while flying through rough weather can be well heard in row 1. I would choose row 2 next time.

Last edited by ngfan; Aug 3, 2013 at 7:54 am
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:42 am

Air blowing in my face for 11 hours was a very annoying issue on a recent KLM 747-400 flight to MEX - I was seated in 72K (first row, upper deck). I'm currently planning a flight in First on the Lufthansa 748, so I find the reports here quite alarming.

Can anyone tell how's the situation in rows 2 and 3 on the 748? And how is it compared to the Lufthansa 747-400 upper deck? I may switch to a flight on a 744 if necessary.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: LH FTL
Same here, the 744 UD had always the best climate comfort IMHO. Whereas the A340, in particular the A340-600 had only two controls: By far too warm or by far too cold.
Hmm, I never felt uncomfortable on an A346, neither in C nor in the Y cabin. But I nearly froze to death on an A380... the aircraft that is supposed to offer the best cabin climate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.