Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sqyf
Hello all, I recently flew LH779 SIN-FRA on the 747-8 in Business. I was on the upper deck, seat 88H (Last row of the upper deck, aisle seat) and had a great flight. The J cabin on the main deck looked very comfortable as well, but for me opportunities to fly on a 747 upper deck are exceedingly rare these days, so I would definitely choose an upper deck seat if available.

If anyone is interested, I did a full trip report on my experience on LH779 here (Link to external SQTalk site).
Really enjoyed your review, thanks.
rhizopod and sqyf like this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by andywaw
Incidentally, I was surprised that other airlines, eg. United, don't care about bags and stuff in emergency rows during take off and landing. I was under the impression that all respectable airlines must comply with the same safety rules.
I don't believe I have heard any airline in the US tell customers that all baggage for exit row passengers must go in the overhead bins. I have used the underseat storage in the exit row many many times.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I find it funny that a lot of people on FlyerTalk say'd never fly TATL J on a narrowbody plane like the A321LR, but then go out of their way to fly on the upper deck of a 747 for almost the exact same experience

(General observation, not tied to any of the above posts specifically.)
curt and LEON_ like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by ty97
I don't believe I have heard any airline in the US tell customers that all baggage for exit row passengers must go in the overhead bins. I have used the underseat storage in the exit row many many times.
In europe it is a must. It isn't the airline requirement, it is mandated by the joint european aviation safety regulatory body. NO hand baggage on the floor at emergency exit or bulkhead rows at all - whether under a seat in front or not. Everything must go into the overhead locker.
ty97 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by 108912
In europe it is a must. It isn't the airline requirement, it is mandated by the joint european aviation safety regulatory body. NO hand baggage on the floor at emergency exit or bulkhead rows at all - whether under a seat in front or not. Everything must go into the overhead locker.
Does anyone have a link to an official regulation about this? I've seen "No carry on bags under the seat ahead in exit rows" asserted before, either as a UK or a european thing, but I haven't been able to find an actual source for that. All of the hits I've seen are random blog-type "An exit row seat has more legroom, but here are the disadvantages" articles, which makes me wonder if this is a "everyone has heard from someone else that it's a rule, but...". I'm very happy to be corrected and pointed to the source, as I prefer to follow rules!

My experience was on British Midland in early 2001; my first time on any european carrier. My wife and I were put in an exit row LHR-DUB with small backpacks (and way too much checked luggage, that's another story and we travel very differently today!). The person next to us was very insistent that nothing could go under the seat, which having flown (respectable) US airlines I hadn't seen before. We would of course have been happy to put them up, so I politely asked the flight attendant where we should put them, who looked at our bags and said they were fine, just to make sure they were fully under the seat (which should be the case everywhere of course). I've since flown in a door exit row on a LH 747-8 (which is why I have had this thread subscribed for years ), but of course that was just a big open space with the FA jump seats across so no question, everything up.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by jmastron
Does anyone have a link to an official regulation about this? I've seen "No carry on bags under the seat ahead in exit rows" asserted before, either as a UK or a european thing, but I haven't been able to find an actual source for that. All of the hits I've seen are random blog-type "An exit row seat has more legroom, but here are the disadvantages" articles, which makes me wonder if this is a "everyone has heard from someone else that it's a rule, but...". I'm very happy to be corrected and pointed to the source, as I prefer to follow rules!
The rules are called safety rules, and the rules are that you must obey the instructions of the flight attendants on board. And they make clear announcement about no bags in emergency rows or bulkhead rows while passengers are boarding.
And when you are sitting in the emergency row or a bulkhead row there are clear signs/stickers in front of you: the bag crossed out, meaning no bag allowed on the floor.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by jmastron

My experience was on British Midland in early 2001; my first time on any european carrier. My wife and I were put in an exit row LHR-DUB with small backpacks (and way too much checked luggage, that's another story and we travel very differently today!). The person next to us was very insistent that nothing could go under the seat, which having flown (respectable) US airlines I hadn't seen before. We would of course have been happy to put them up, so I politely asked the flight attendant where we should put them, who looked at our bags and said they were fine, just to make sure they were fully under the seat (which should be the case everywhere of course). I've since flown in a door exit row on a LH 747-8 (which is why I have had this thread subscribed for years ), but of course that was just a big open space with the FA jump seats across so no question, everything up.
CS 25.813 Emergency exit access and ease of operation...

(7) The design of each seat, bulkhead/partition or other feature, bounding the passageway leading to each Type III or Type IV exit must be such that -

(i) evacuees are hindered from climbing over in the course of evacuating.

(ii) any baggage stowage provisions (such as under seat stowage) would prevent baggage items entering the passageway under the inertia forces of CS 25.561(b)(3) unless placards are installed to indicate that no baggage shall be stowed under the seats bounding the passageway.

(iii) no protrusions (such as coat hooks) could impede evacuation.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/docume...-cs-25?page=27
psusaver likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by robertr
From memory rows 81-83 are blocked so you will not get a seat until rows 84-88.

I tend to book 11 months in advance so I have no trouble with 84-88 , I however do not recommend 84 as food trays tend to be stored on top of the shelf there.

85 onwards is ideal.
Originally Posted by RobotsRock
Just came back from a flight where I was row 84 as that was the best I could get last second. Indeed I experienced the annoyance of food trays being constantly placed right in front of me, which was disturbing when trying to sleep, etc - not to mention the screen even being partially blocked without consideration. I was surprised to find that the food service blocked both emergency exits on the 747 upper deck for a good portion of the travel time - how is that acceptable and not a safety violation over an extended period?
Thanks for these reports.

Does anyone know why rows 81-83 are blocked 11 months in advance? If the get unblocked and when?

Additionally, is it possible to pay for an F upgrade on a UA-booked J award ticket on the 787? If so, when does this opportunity present itself?

Finally, if seated in Row 4, Lower Deck, are the bathrooms and galley located between J and F used by J passengers and to serve J passengers? Is there a bassinet on row 4? Are the foot wells larger in Row 4?

Many thanks!

Last edited by 747FC; May 31, 2023 at 12:46 am Reason: Last question
Old May 31, 2023, 1:00 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 747FC
Does anyone know why rows 81-83 are blocked 11 months in advance? If the get unblocked and when?
They are only bookable by HON / SEN status customers in advance. They become unblocked when check-in opens.

Additionally, is it possible to pay for an F upgrade on a UA-booked J award ticket on the 787? If so, when does this opportunity present itself?
I presume you mean the 748. Check your booking on lh.com, see if it offers you either a fixed price upgrade and/or the opportunity to bid for an upgrade. And there is always the chance at the airport, ask at check-in or at the gate.

Finally, if seated in Row 4, Lower Deck, are the bathrooms and galley located between J and F used by J passengers and to serve J passengers?
J passengers are supposed to use the bathrooms towards the back of the J cabin.

Is there a bassinet on row 4?
https://www.aerolopa.com/lh-74h

Are the foot wells larger in Row 4?
LH J seats are pretty open, no real footwells.

The outboard seats (A,C,H,K) are parallel with each other but the inboard seats (D,G) are angled together at the feet end so the chance of footsies with your neighbor is non-zero.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by supine; May 31, 2023 at 1:06 am
Old May 31, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by supine
The outboard seats (A,C,H,K) are parallel with each other but the inboard seats (D,G) are angled together at the feet end so the chance of footsies with your neighbor is non-zero.
Not on the B748, it has the footsie layout / \ / \ / \ on the lower deck, it's the Airbus that have \ \ / \ / / with the AC and HK seats in parallel.
747FC likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flying with a group of 4 people for the first time soon, likely in 748 F! Does anyone have thoughts on best seat choice configuration for 2 couples? I'm expecting the flight to be full in F by the time of departure (like it usually is nowadays…). I'm leaning towards 1 couple in the nose and 1 couple in the row 3 pair.

It'd be great to be able to socialize a bit, and maybe even eat dinner together. Anyone had luck with companion dining? Technically the ottomans are not seats without seatbelts (hence the "Not a seat" labels), and I'd expect Germans to follow the rules to a T, but I've seen a few blog posts with pics of people companion dining anyways:

https://www.offthebeatenpoints.com/r...747-8-mex-fra/
https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa...-747-8-review/
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Hello all, I recently flew LH779 SIN-FRA on the 747-8 in Business. I was on the upper deck, seat 88H (Last row of the upper deck, aisle seat) and had a great flight. The J cabin on the main deck looked very comfortable as well, but for me opportunities to fly on a 747 upper deck are exceedingly rare these days, so I would definitely choose an upper deck seat if available.

If anyone is interested, I did a full trip report on my experience on LH779 here (Link to external SQTalk site).
I find your trip report to be an absolute outlier to the consensus of most people that regularly fly Business Class to a point where I think it's misleading.

Maybe for someone escaping the hell of Economy, it's an acceptable product but for any seasoned frequent flyer the Lufthansa offering is absolutely dismal.

I am not sure what's your benchmark for your assessments but I would disagree with most of them: the cabin not spacious, you are angled towards a stranger, the small space for your legs will make you touch the other passenger at some point in time. 50% of the seats on the upper deck have no aisle access. It's a horrific product - especially at today's prices.
chris63, jkallet and gojko88 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:00 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum

This photo is all you need to know about the LH J product. I have more privacy in bed with my fiancée.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by SMK77
I find your trip report to be an absolute outlier to the consensus of most people that regularly fly Business Class to a point where I think it's misleading.

Maybe for someone escaping the hell of Economy, it's an acceptable product but for any seasoned frequent flyer the Lufthansa offering is absolutely dismal.

I am not sure what's your benchmark for your assessments but I would disagree with most of them: the cabin not spacious, you are angled towards a stranger, the small space for your legs will make you touch the other passenger at some point in time. 50% of the seats on the upper deck have no aisle access. It's a horrific product - especially at today's prices.
Let's agree to disagree. I really enjoyed my flight, and I do think that any flight on a 747-8 these days is to be savoured. In what way could the TR be construed as misleading? I've stated facts about the product (With pictures to back them up), and stated an opinion - just an opinion. I don't claim to be an authority, or anyone in the business of assessing any airline's product (Though I do have opinions -- entirely my own). I appreciate you reading the TR though, and do see your point about that generation of J product not being up to expectations that some (many?) frequent flyers have.
curt, athome and Thomas.T like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SMK77

Let's agree to disagree. I really enjoyed my flight, and I do think that any flight on a 747-8 these days is to be savoured. In what way could the TR be construed as misleading? I've stated facts about the product (With pictures to back them up), and stated an opinion - just an opinion. I don't claim to be an authority, or anyone in the business of assessing any airline's product (Though I do have opinions -- entirely my own). I appreciate you reading the TR though, and do see your point about that generation of J product not being up to expectations that some (many?) frequent flyers have.
I'm also in the camp that actively chooses the LH 747-8 in business class over any of the other trans-atlantic options. The only one I'd prefer is TK on the old 777 seat but depending on where you're going, it doesn't always make sense. It is infinitely better for sleeping for me. Never had an issue with the footsie. I'm mostly sleeping, so the privacy is a non-issue for me as well. I'll take a more comfortable bed, without any impeding of my shins, knees, and feet, over a door and a coffin. I'm hoping that the next generation of QR seats are better - His Excellency has stated that they recognize the problem and they've found a way to lower the bed and raise the screen and tray table so that folks won't keep banging their knees and shins. If they nail that, then my views will change quickly.

I understand that many people, in fact, the majority of people, disagree. Most are obsessed with aisle access and privacy, and are not 6'2" or taller. My view would be very different if I were 5'10" I suspect. To each their own - but this is entirely subjective - so it's wrong to make definitive declarations about something being horrific and dismal. Heck, there are people who think vegemite tastes good, so anything is possible.
rhizopod and sqyf like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.