FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1352665-where-sit-747-8i-merged-b74h-experience-reports.html)

salesna Jul 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Answering my own question -- no, there aren't individual vents on the 748. Call me an ugly American, but I like being in charge of my airflow rather than leaving it to the discretion of the cabin crew.

sannmann Jul 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by salesna (Post 19008148)
Answering my own question -- no, there aren't individual vents on the 748. Call me an ugly American, but I like being in charge of my airflow rather than leaving it to the discretion of the cabin crew.

I don't recall there being air vents on any Lufthansa flight I've ever been on. It seems Lufthansa likes to keep the air temperature in its cabins warmer than any of the other airlines I've been on.

jspira Aug 7, 2012 2:10 pm

My first and second 747-8 experiences - tell me about yours...

Despite the weather gods' (and airlines') attempts to stop me from getting to Washington, D.C. for my flight from IAD to FRA, I did in fact make it with an hour or more to spare.

My overall itinerary was LGA IAD FRA STR with a drive immediately to Munich but I ended up doing LGA DCA IAD FRA STR (plus the A8, which is one continuous Baustelle, to Munich).

I had made arrangements in advance to board the plane before anyone was on it (which gave me ample time to photograph the interior in a completely empty state except for a few crew members here or there) and that worked out perfectly.

(I used the photos for a Virtual Tour of the 747-8 article for Frequent Business Traveler if anyone is interested. Make sure to look at the last page for the slideshows of the plane).

But I digress.

I booked passage on the upper deck for both of my flights (IAD FRA and FRA IAD). My flight to Frankfurt had me in row 82 (second row upper deck) and the cabin was completely full. For FRA IAD I was in the bulkhead on the upper deck.

I definitely preferred the bulkhead but I think that the most important factor in seat choice is to make sure that your neighbor isn't very short. If that is the case, you may get kicked when both you and your neighbor are in bed mode (ask me how I know). This is because the neighbor's feet won't make it into the footwell. I did not really have this problem when I had a neighbor who was actually a bit taller than I am.

The 747-8 upper deck feels intimate. It's not endless rows of business-class seats as one would find in the A380 but a quiet cabin with two lavs and two flight attendants.

Now, back to the seats. I was able to get a good 4 1/2 hours of sleep on the night flight to FRA and I found the seat itself very comfortable. I suspect a lot of people won't be aware of the fact that the armest goes down, making for a wider seat/bed. The extra width makes a difference (I learnt that trick originally from American's Flagship Suites.)

Lufthansa says it tried to create significantly more private space with the new suites and I think, by and large, the airline was successful. Other than the person next to me, I really felt a decent amount of privacy during the flights.

Regarding the in-flight service and meals, both were excellent but I really wanted to concentrate on my impressions about the aircraft here.

A few photos below (and many more in the virtual tour slideshows on the last page of my article).

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....46-300x199.jpg

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....68-300x199.jpg

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....80-300x199.jpg

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....69-300x199.jpg

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....56-300x199.jpg

LufthansaFlyer Aug 7, 2012 8:49 pm

Mine? The Only pax in F

DCann Aug 8, 2012 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 19077189)
Despite the weather gods' (and airlines') attempts to stop me from getting to Washington, D.C. for my flight from IAD to FRA, I did in fact make it with an hour or more to spare.

My overall itinerary was LGA IAD FRA STR with a drive immediately to Munich but I ended up doing LGA DCA IAD FRA STR (plus the A8, which is one continuous Baustelle, to Munich).

Well it is good that you made it - even if an extra airport or two had to be added.

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 19077189)
I had made arrangements in advance to board the plane before anyone was on it (which gave me ample time to photograph the interior in a completely empty state except for a few crew members here or there) and that worked out perfectly.

(I used the photos for a Virtual Tour of the 747-8 article for Frequent Business Traveler if anyone is interested. Make sure to look at the last page for the slideshows of the plane).

I really enjoyed the article and esp. the photos in the virtual tours since I too love new aircraft and I am planning on flying to Dulles so I can take the 747-8 over as well. Thanks!

TPA us ff Aug 8, 2012 5:58 pm

I haven't had the opportunity, but thanks for the review and super photos.

scnzzz Aug 9, 2012 11:05 am

Not 100% sure, but I'm not used to seeing individual vents on any widebodies. Why would the 748i be any different?

oliver2002 Aug 9, 2012 2:30 pm

Individual vents are an option that some airlines take, LH isn't one of them. The most curious overhead individual vent I ever saw was on a A332 operated by US Air, some have it in C/F seats.

salesna Aug 9, 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz (Post 19089761)

Not 100% sure, but I'm not used to seeing individual vents on any widebodies. Why would the 748i be any different?

I think U.S. carriers often opt to install the individual vents, while foreign carriers (or at least European ones) typically don't.

criostal Aug 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Just flew FRA-IAD on D-ABYC. Had seat 83A, made better by 83C being vacant. Had this been an overnight flight, Row 83 might have the advantage of no one being behind and grabbing the seat area backing for stability when getting up from the window. There also did seem to be a bit less bathroom traffic in the front part of the upstairs cabin compared to the back.

Looking around, the bulkhead seemed more cramped overall, although it may have just looked that way because of the wall and only 2 windows. The downstairs C cabin seemed more cavernous and much less private.

The only negative about 83A/C is the overhead space is smaller since equipment takes up most of the bin directly above. I was, however, surprised at the size of the window compartment storage since it could easily hold my soft-sided carry-on bag.

The other added perk was that the cabin crew seemed especially excited and motivated, making multiple comments that this is the newest 747-8i in the fleet. It was the best service I have experienced in C on any US/European based carrier in a while, especially considering the class was around 90% full.

jspira Sep 6, 2012 10:34 am

In addition to my article (referenced earlier in this thread), I wrote an in-depth review of my first flight on the 747-8 for Frequent Business Traveler.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, getting to Dulles was tricky. I had a non-stop booked but all LGA flights to Dulles were cancelled midday due to weather. I was travelling on Delta and the plat line rebooked me on the shuttle and arranged a taxi ride to Dulles from National. Not a great start as it killed my rest and relaxation (i.e. catch up with e-mail) time in the lounge before the flight.

About half an hour before boarding, I was invited a chance to tour the plane and see it empty.

There's really nothing like the smell of a brand new plane (ok, I am exaggerating, we all know planes don't really have that new-car smell). Still, this would be the plane's first revenue eastbound TATL crossing as its maiden flight was the flight from FRA to IAD.

I assume boarding went well because I was already on board when boarding started so I just hung out on the upper deck as it started to fill up. And it was full. Every last seat.

Take-off was very smooth and quiet. I know some people have commented (somewhere) that the upper deck is noisier but I found it very very quiet throughout the flight. I've always been a 747 upper deck fan, ever since I was a kid and was on PAA flights (loved the spiral staircase then).

The service, from the very beginning, was excellent. The two FAs working upstairs were great (as were the substitutes during break) and they got started on the service right away, which would help maximize sleep time.

I've covered the food in the review (lots of pictures too) but it was good, esp the black Thai rice (the fish was ok but not great). Service was very friendly. I haven't flown LH for well over a year and I found the food to be greatly improved since the last time.

The seats (also covered extensively in my review) were good for sleeping with the exception (on my return flight) of my neighbor kicking me. She was fairly short and her feet didn't extend into the footwell. I hereby join the chorus of people saying this problem requires attention.

I probably won't end up flying the 748 too often, at least while it is in short supply, as it probably won't make it to my home airport since Lufthansa flies the A380 to Kennedy. But I did like the aircraft and the seats and hope that attention is given to what others have called the "footsie" problem.

My seat on the return flight:
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....71-300x199.jpg

geo1005 Sep 6, 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Tartegnin (Post 19004638)
Next time, I think I'd go for row 1.

I just flew the 748 FRA-IAD in 1A and enjoyed it. The only downside to that seat's position (or 1 K) is the forward closet has all the pillows and bed linens in it so the FA's are often opening/closing the closet.

Also, on take-off, the front landing gear is VERY loud until the doors slam shut after take-off. Then it gets very quiet. :)

FWIW, I flew the new F on the 744 the day before (got lucky on HKG-FRA) and very much prefer the seat and bed layout on the upper deck vs. the seat/bed combo in the nose of the 748. The seat on the 744 is only a seat so there are fewer moving parts and I found it much more comfortable than the seat/bed on the 748. Also, the bed on the 744 is fully flat and was very comfortable - it has a mattress and full bed linens. Given the choice I'd take the upper deck 744 in FC over the 748 any day.

flugvergnugen Sep 7, 2012 8:14 am

Another data point: the center seats in the downstairs C-cabin offer significantly more elbow room than the side seats. Did not experience any neighborly kicking when in the bed position, and there is a lot of surface space to put things on the center console. While the upstairs feels more exclusive and like a narrow-body, I personally would always choose a center seat downstairs. Very good service from the pursers and the crew in general.

hamallu Sep 7, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 19091170)
Individual vents are an option that some airlines take, LH isn't one of them. The most curious overhead individual vent I ever saw was on a A332 operated by US Air, some have it in C/F seats.

Why what was so interesting about the air vent on US' A332?

NewbieRunner Sep 11, 2012 11:07 am

Has anyone experience of row 81? On the IAD-FRA flight I'm booked on, row 81 is completely free at present and I wonder if it's the proximity of the toilets that's putting people off.

I have a choice of 81A,C,H,K, 84A or 84H with a seat neighbour, some upper deck window seats with no seat neighbour (so far) or some middle seats downstairs towards the back of the C cabin. This is my first time on the 748i and I won't have too many opportunities.

I'm going to have difficulty climbing over my seat neighbour but I like window seats and can't make up my mind. A window seat with no seat neighbour would be ideal. ;)