Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

B748i Delivery/Welcome Ceremony in FRA May 2 2012 [split off from B748i thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Some impressions from yesterdays press conference by sbm12:
Do you know if they'll have some sort of event when the bird visits GDN on the 4th?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Oh I've assembled my 747-8, this must be something else.
There's supposed to be a bonus feature for Facebook fans (I had to "like" LH again to take part ) but clicking the link seems to take you round in circles.

The accompanying letter did say that I had correctly choosen 'B' as the right answer but didnt mention what the question was

If it was part of the same competition I got most of my answers wrong with the exception of where various LH logos fitted on the plane.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:55 am

Here's the bird this morning:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/luftha...the-new-queen/
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:56 am

From the press event and evening reception (million thanks to Oliver2002 for looking out for me! ):

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/luftha...and-reception/
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Skywards
The new queen is well worth the hype. Well at least the business class seat. Far superior than the old one. I had plenty of space (especially shoulder area when fully flat) and I'm 6' 2" 200lbs. Feed were as expected a bit tight, but in most positions not too bad. The isle seats have a few more inches with for the footrest and the in-seat storage is bigger. I'll expand more on this when I actually get home and have a computer and not a phone to type.

Entertainment system:
Much better!! But screen can only be moved left and right, you can't tilt it. So in some seat positions can be uncompfortable to watch. The most impressing part: the system reacts to the input with no dreaded delay! The map is a bit over the top and graphics aren't in HD (pretty pixely), but good screen for movies.

Noteworthy: Dr. Franz and a bunch of other upper management folks were flying with us. Had a quick speeche at the lounge in FRA and throughout the flight was walking around talking to customers and management alike.

Freebies: got a metal plague with the queen and inaugural flight on it, got a pin, and a luggage tag.

That's it for now, let me know if you have any questions, comments etc. I'm curious to see what the others think.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Thanks, br0snic, for the report. ^ It's good to hear from someone who actually sat in the new C seat for 8 hours rather than someone who sat in it for a few minutes.

I assume you were in one of the seats in the centre (D/G) where the two seats are wider apart.

What do you mean when you say the map is a bit over the top? Is it like Niceview you find on LH's A380?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by br0snic
The new queen is well worth the hype. Well at least the business class seat. Far superior than the old one. I had plenty of space (especially shoulder area when fully flat) and I'm 6' 2" 200lbs. Feed were as expected a bit tight, but in most positions not too bad. The isle seats have a few more inches with for the footrest and the in-seat storage is bigger. I'll expand more on this when I actually get home and have a computer and not a phone to type.

Entertainment system:
Much better!! But screen can only be moved left and right, you can't tilt it. So in some seat positions can be uncompfortable to watch. The most impressing part: the system reacts to the input with no dreaded delay! The map is a bit over the top and graphics aren't in HD (pretty pixely), but good screen for movies.

Noteworthy: Dr. Franz and a bunch of other upper management folks were flying with us. Had a quick speeche at the lounge in FRA and throughout the flight was walking around talking to customers and management alike.

Freebies: got a metal plague with the queen and inaugural flight on it, got a pin, and a luggage tag.

That's it for now, let me know if you have any questions, comments etc. I'm curious to see what the others think.
I hope you get over your metal plague....sounds serious...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:16 pm

Was actually in the downstairs window seat, thanks to the management who stole my 82K seeat. I didn't mind the foot rest that much, but a bit more space would have been nice. Also the divider is a bit flimsy so you can fight for some more space .
The upper deck has some additional storage along the window.

Seatmap is the niceview, but graphics weren't impressive. Had one of the "seat product" managers sitting behind me and she assured me they will look into it since she wasn't liking that part either.

And the plague is getting a special place. I might even have to get it framed
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K

I'm flying next week iad-fra, looking forward to it
Will post a trip report
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:21 am

24 hours out and F seat chart only shows me. How ridiculous would it be if that seat chart stayed that way........It would be like flying on my own private 748.....
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:33 am

housekeeping

So now that I'm finally over my plague, I can move on to cherishing my plaque...

Anyways a few small things that I thought were noteworthy but small in case someone is interested.

The overhead bin space is huge (lower deck at least) you could easily fit a body bag up there.

The headphone jack is 2 pins (one normal and the other one for power) instead of the 3 on the A333/A34s. It's centered facing up/down and not side to side. I could easily access it and plug in my own ones. Above is the USB and ethernet outlet.

The seat has 2 power outlets in the front center. Both US and German pins are usable... It does have a cover that I found annoying since it keeps sliding down. It also knocked my blackberry charger loose a couple times (might be more the chargers fault, but still... )

The traytable is nicely adjustable. You can fold it in half as well as rotate it by 90 degrees. It's possible to get out of your seat even if you still have the trays on the table. I'm sure this is even more useful for the ppl with aisle access.

I found the storage bin in the front a bit small and there is not much storage space in the armrest either. But the center seats should have more of that.

Since in the other threads they mentioned noise, I'll add my 2 cents to that as well I found to be fairly quiet (not sure if 30% reduction is really true) but it was notably quieter than in other aircraft. With noise cancelling headphones and a medium volume on music I could barely hear any flight related noise.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
24 hours out and F seat chart only shows me. How ridiculous would it be if that seat chart stayed that way........It would be like flying on my own private 748.....
Wow! It's amazing.
F7 A7 J9 C9 D9 Z0 P0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T0 L0 K0

Any reason why other F pax are avoiding this flight?

BTW ExpertFlyer has managed to increase the number of C seats to 488 on this flight since they are the "best business class product out there"! It could be a bit of a squeeze.

Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:37 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Wow! It's amazing.
F7 A7 J9 C9 D9 Z0 P0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T0 L0 K0

Any reason why other F pax are avoiding this flight?

BTW ExpertFlyer has managed to increase the number of C seats to 488 on this flight since they are the "best business class product out there"! It could be a bit of a squeeze.
Looks like LH had a bit of a problem loading their seat map for tomorrows flight. Luckily the subsequent 74H flights look to be correct:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing FRA on 06/06/12 for IAD
Flying LH flight 418 in Business

A   C       D   G       H   K   
4       X   -       -   -       -   X       
5       -   -       -   -       -   -       
6       -   +       -   -       -   -       
7       -   -       -   X       -   +       
8       -   -       +   X       X   X       
9       -   -       +   +       -   +       
10  W   X   +       +   -       -   X   W   
11  W   +   +       -   -       -   -   W   
12  W   +   +       +   X       +   -   W   
14  W   +   -       +   -       -   +   W   
        A   C       D   G       H   K   

A   C       H   K   
81  U       -   -       -   -       U   
82  U       -   +       +   -       U   
83  U       -   -       -   -       U   
84  U       -   -       -   -       U   
85  U       -   -       +   -       U   
86  U       -   +       -   -       U   
87  U       +   +       +   +       U   
88  U       +   +       +   +       U   
            A   C       H   K   

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $                        

Wing                     W                        
Upper Deck               U
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K

Any ideas on if/how to get a Z fare upgraded to F?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In other news, a little update on the remaining 748i deliveries:

D-ABYC is now in flight line tests
D-ABYD left the paint shop this week
D-ABYE is getting ready, the engines on the test aircraft have been removed and it looks like its going thru the line checks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.