Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Old May 2, 2012, 8:00 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Rambuster
SQ has been getting away with this type of behaviour for years.
LH is just following the SQ road.
Is that mandatory to follow a bad behavior ?
Old May 2, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: LH SEN
I don't have a problem if M&M largely or totally blocks F redemptions from other *A programs, as a countermeasure to all the US DM and UA abusers, and because so many others are doing it also (SQ, NH and the likes).

But I do have a problem with the fact that M&M has become so much more stingy on releasing F awards for their own members. This can't all be explained by the reduction in F seats, but rather seems a deliberate scheme.

As a SEN or HON, you have some more leverage, but even for them the situation for F redemptions has become dire (BTW I think it's ridiculous that M&M doesn't release e.g. A380 seats for its FTL and base members).

On some routes like FRA-EZE, availability seems to have almost completely dried up.

Pretty soon, they'll have the rename the programme to scam&more.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
See post 14 here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...2-changes.html

LH is staying within *A rules and offering a certain number of F seats to *A partner FFPs, just not at 330 days out as it used to be and not as many as it used to be when you had 16 seats in the UD. Also on certain routes they are aware that mileage millionaires are lurking in the shadows waiting to redeem at short notice (ORD and NYC are notorious for UA plats / 1Ks changing their award tickets for free to grab O seats that are released a day before departure to enable business travellers to upgrade for miles at the airport).
Old May 2, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Rambuster
SQ has been getting away with this type of behaviour for years.
LH is just following the SQ road.
I might note that SQ finally figured out that an empty F seat generates $0 revenue and is loosening up their award policies.

Originally Posted by Van_Looy
I don't have a problem if M&M largely or totally blocks F redemptions from other *A programs, as a countermeasure to all the US DM and UA abusers
Only on FT do people get such inflated egos from sitting in metal tubes hurtling through air that they consider a willing seller and a willing buyer "abuse".

If LH would rather a seat go empty and generate €0 revenue rather than take my dirty, abusive US DM redemption that gives them more than €0, then fine. But then don't whine about not getting enough money when their seats are empty.

Airlines have high fixed costs and their goods (seats on planes) are perishable. If the baker would rather throw their day-old bread into the garbage rather then sell it to a willing buyer, that's their problem, but maybe they should think about their bread and the price they sell it for if they keep tossing bread away every day. And if LH isn't selling enough of their F seats, such that providing them to DM Maximizers™ is actually a viable option, that means they need to adjust their F pricing such that it sells better (and their supply, although I think they're at work on that by removing F on some routes). That would actually be following the plot.

I don't expect that award inventory is going to be any better or reliable than day-old bread, but there's being sensible about it and cutting one's nose off to spite a face. LH policies right now seem closer to the latter.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 2, 2012 at 11:01 am
Old May 2, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I might note that SQ finally figured out that an empty F seat generates $0 revenue and is loosening up their award policies.
I'm sure it will take LH years too.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:47 am

I have flown LH F many times in the last 2 months using UA miles, and even experienced the new F on the 747 from DEL-FRA, so I can't complain.

It only opens up a day or 2 before departure, but who cares, it's only $75 for the change.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

If LH would rather a seat go empty and generate 0 revenue rather than take my dirty, abusive US DM redemption that gives them more than 0, then fine. But then don't whine about not getting enough money when their seats are empty.
LH makes 70% of their longhaul revenue by selling C seats. F is supposed to be an experience, and they don't intend to sell every seat in F, its always been like that. The peanuts they get out of the *A pot for giving a partner FFP a F award seat probably doesn't cover the cost of catering and the kit.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH makes 70% of their longhaul revenue by selling C seats. F is supposed to be an experience, and they don't intend to sell every seat in F, its always been like that. The peanuts they get out of the *A pot for giving a partner FFP a F award seat probably doesn't cover the cost of catering and the kit.
If that's true, then if anything, LH should be blocking longhaul C from *A award redemption, not just longhaul F. I find it hard to believe that the catering expenses from F are more than a modest upcharge from C (€50 bottles of champagne and farmed caviar notwithstanding) and there's lots of reports of people finding 4 C on LH flight awards well in advance of flight- the revenue lost from 4 C seats could easily beat the revenue lost from 1 F seat (especially if it's much more likely you'd sell C than F- even one of those C seats being sold, three empty should pay off better than giving 4 away).

I also tend to think it's not true that it's peanuts for a *A partner to pay someone else for F seats, because multiple reports indicate that US has de facto instituted *net blocking on LH F, even at T-14 and dramatically increased mileage prices (something like 50% over the past year).
Old May 2, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

If that's true, then if anything, LH should be blocking longhaul C from *A award redemption, not just longhaul F. I find it hard to believe that the catering expenses from F are more than a modest upcharge from C and there's lots of reports of people finding 4 C on LH flight awards- the revenue lost from 4 C seats could easily beat the revenue lost from 1 F seat (especially if it's much more likely you'd sell C than F- even one of those C seats being sold, three empty should pay off better than giving 4 away).
I think that the theory is that LH wants to sell F for real cash, and that they can do this by providing a superior product. Part of the superior product that they think they are providing is exclusivity. For the customer that they are targeting, I guess they believe that losing some revenue from mile redeemers will increase exclusivity for paying customers, and thus increase paying customers.

Or they just think that they can fill enough of the seats (only 8) through cash buyers that they don't need to give any out.

sillypainter: you mention making the change to LH F at 1 or 2 days notice. Are you booking a routing that has both a UA and LH flight, booking the UA seat, and then getting the discounted $75 change fee? Also, I thought that the tickets were unmodifiable after departure, so how can you change the return?
Old May 2, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by solomita
I do have an M&M account, but since I've never accrued any miles into it, it is a temporary account and does not permit me to check miles-based flight availability. I would have to call LH directly to have someone there check for me.
Buy a song from iTunes through M&M and viola!
Old May 2, 2012, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan6681
Wow. Just wow.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
I have a feeling that itunes will be making even more sales.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by solomita
I think that the theory is that LH wants to sell F for real cash, and that they can do this by providing a superior product. Part of the superior product that they think they are providing is exclusivity. For the customer that they are targeting, I guess they believe that losing some revenue from mile redeemers will increase exclusivity for paying customers, and thus increase paying customers.

Or they just think that they can fill enough of the seats (only 8) through cash buyers that they don't need to give any out.

sillypainter: you mention making the change to LH F at 1 or 2 days notice. Are you booking a routing that has both a UA and LH flight, booking the UA seat, and then getting the discounted $75 change fee? Also, I thought that the tickets were unmodifiable after departure, so how can you change the return?
The UA system splits the trip in 2 parts for the round trip, so you can easily change the return even after the first segment has been completed.

The 75 dollar change applies to any change that occurs on your itinerary e.g. Class change or airline change in the 21 day window, outside of that window you can do unlimited changes (not sure about class change, but I think same applies for that) as long as the departure and return points are the same.

I usually book a carrier and class that I like, so like this I am at least guaranteed "something" and for $75 I change around, sometimes even 2 times, one for the dep. And one for the return, its still worth the $75 to fly LH F, even the old product, I mostly like for the peace of mind, you can sleep, eat, stand up, nobody tells you anything, seat belt signs may be ON, they don't bother you.....
Old May 2, 2012, 10:53 pm

[I]... its still worth the $75 to fly LH F, even the old product, I mostly like for the peace of mind, you can sleep, eat, stand up, nobody tells you anything, seat belt signs may be ON, they don't bother you.....

No kidding - not like the "flight safety officers" aboard US carriers these days!
Old May 2, 2012, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan6681
I swear I really have tried to figure out how to do this, but I can't find it. Can you give me the missing clue?
Old May 3, 2012, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by sillypainter

The 75 dollar change applies to any change that occurs on your itinerary e.g. Class change or airline change in the 21 day window, outside of that window you can do unlimited changes (not sure about class change, but I think same applies for that) as long as the departure and return points are the same.
If have some sort of status with UA its even better 50/25/0/0$ change fee for Silver/Gold/plat/1K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.