Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa First Award seats availability [for partner FFPs outside of M&M]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Here's my scenario; Currently holding 3 Business Class (I) awards from DTW to FRA for May. Used United miles. A340-300 currently scheduled for the route. F completely empty as of now. What are the odds of upgrading to F with more miles or any other alternative?
Well, LH makes F awards usually available T-14 days, but 3 seats is stretching it. Re-check availability closer to the departure date, there really is nothing else you can do right now ...just wait and see..
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by LukasVIE
Well, LH makes F awards usually available T-14 days, but 3 seats is stretching it. Re-check availability closer to the departure date, there really is nothing else you can do right now ...just wait and see..
Right, plan on doing that. Just wondered if it is possible if I come up a seat short to upgrade with cash at check in.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Here's my scenario; Currently holding 3 Business Class (I) awards from DTW to FRA for May. Used United miles. A340-300 currently scheduled for the route. F completely empty as of now. What are the odds of upgrading to F with more miles or any other alternative?
Not completely impossible. I was able to snag 3 F awards on the same flight from FRA-KIX in 2012. I had to be vigilant since two seats had opened up about T-10 and the last seat opened up at about T-3. I was prepared to have one person in J if I wasn't able to snag the last seat.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gpeso8
Not completely impossible. I was able to snag 3 F awards on the same flight from FRA-KIX in 2012. I had to be vigilant since two seats had opened up about T-10 and the last seat opened up at about T-3. I was prepared to have one person in J if I wasn't able to snag the last seat.
And I'd say that of all the cities likely to have 3 or more seats open up, DTW is up there, along with DFW and SEA. From what I remember, those routes are run with the older first class and tend to have lighter loads.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by jasonvr
And I'd say that of all the cities likely to have 3 or more seats open up, DTW is up there, along with DFW and SEA. From what I remember, those routes are run with the older first class and tend to have lighter loads.
You are correct in that. Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:52 pm

How many open seats in the cabin are usually needed for LH to open up 2 F awards?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by EliteLAX
How many open seats in the cabin are usually needed for LH to open up 2 F awards?
6/8 to 8/8. 5/8 possible but quite difficult if your are not using M&M miles.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EliteLAX
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
6/8 to 8/8. 5/8 possible but quite difficult if your are not using M&M miles.
Highly variable. The 744 I took LAX-FRA back in August was 4/8 24 hours before departure which point they opened up 3 F seats for award.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:11 am

Hi guys, sorry to bring an old thread up, but I've been searching on ANA and EF, and it seems like there's no correlation between F/A space and award space!

Looking at my highly biased sample of FRA-NRT/FRA-BKK, UA only shows F space a few days in advance. Either I haven't checked carefully enough, or I'm sleep deprived from moving 1 hour forward, but it seems like UA isn't showing phantom space for these routes anymore. Furthermore, I have no idea when space is going to open up. On several dates there's F4 but there isn't any phantom space.

I thought phantom space was actual award space which would become bookable 14 days out?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
I am SEN but transfer my miles to TAP or JJ from my credit card.

EX-GRU LH releases F inventory (if any) 3 to 4 days out! Of course it is impossible to snag a seat, simply because once your flight becomes available in the outbound, the inbound is still not available!

And C class is only released for flights departing GRU on Tuesday! Surely they must be making a lot of cash in the market.....
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:56 pm

Just a quick update for those interested- despite my carefully-researched findings last time around, I'm disappointed to report the experience reported by garkman appears to be the new state of affairs for LH F. Very rarely am I seeing seats open at the earliest possible window 15 hr as they once were. And remember inside that window there are no meaningful patterns to rely on to make searching easier.

I'll be collecting more data over the next 2 months for my own travel plans and will share once I'm done.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Hi guys, sorry to bring an old thread up, but I've been searching on ANA and EF, and it seems like there's no correlation between F/A space and award space!

Looking at my highly biased sample of FRA-NRT/FRA-BKK, UA only shows F space a few days in advance. Either I haven't checked carefully enough, or I'm sleep deprived from moving 1 hour forward, but it seems like UA isn't showing phantom space for these routes anymore. Furthermore, I have no idea when space is going to open up. On several dates there's F4 but there isn't any phantom space.

I thought phantom space was actual award space which would become bookable 14 days out?
what little phantom inventory that shows, normally becomes real from my observations, but 7 days out, sometimes 10. I've helped readers find LH F 7-10 days out without much hassle. sometimes it took a 'long sell' request.

United has been doing a FAR FAR better job in keeping phantom inventory off the search results. Now most UA inventory that I see for LH F is real.

I called UA yesterday just to test the idea, and when I asked about 3 different LH F that I saw for flights 5-7 days out, it was confirmed as real. Doing this because I need to do it for my own trip towards month end and wanted to test UA's new reality.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:13 pm

To continue dispelling a couple of notions, FWIW I was able to move from C to F 15 days ahead of my scheduled departure for an upcoming trip.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Apr 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
what little phantom inventory that shows, normally becomes real from my observations, but 7 days out, sometimes 10. I've helped readers find LH F 7-10 days out without much hassle. sometimes it took a 'long sell' request.

United has been doing a FAR FAR better job in keeping phantom inventory off the search results. Now most UA inventory that I see for LH F is real.

I called UA yesterday just to test the idea, and when I asked about 3 different LH F that I saw for flights 5-7 days out, it was confirmed as real. Doing this because I need to do it for my own trip towards month end and wanted to test UA's new reality.
Yes, it looks like UA is getting the phantom space off. I'm not actually if that's a good thing as it looks like previous phantom space would be bookable after the 14 day window opens up. Also, is T-14 not exactly correct anymore? I'm checking EF, LH 401 JFk-FRA, 4/29 is F8 A7, there is award space. On 4/30 LH 401 is F8 A8, but no award space. Just to be sure, we should be looking at F/A bucket right to determine whether award space will be released? Isn't space supposed to release when F is 6+?

Edit: Oops, 4/29 isn't showing F space either.

Last edited by yerffej201; Apr 18, 2013 at 11:49 pm
Old May 10, 2013, 12:22 pm

Here's an update on my quest to upgrade 3 C awards to F awards, ex USA to FRA. At T- 14 days, only 2 award seats showed on the United website. At T- 10 days, 3 C seats showed and 1 F. This continued until T- 96 hours when, miracle of miracles!, 3 F seats opened. I quickly called UA and successfully upgraded my C awards to F with the payment of a few additional miles.. and 30+ minutes on the phone. Current F load on my flight is now 4. Only 1 seat had been reserved prior to my score. So, it appears that it IS possible to get F awards close in thru *A partners. I do wish however LH would go back to opening some F seats for awards at 330 days. It certainly would save some of the angst

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.