How come LH TATL flights have to depart early from Europe?

Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
How come LH TATL flights have to depart early from Europe?

I wonder why all those TATL flights have to leave so early from Europe to the US and back - I'm still suffering from jetlag from SFO-FRA on LH (btw the A380 was less than impressive, I flew Y and I don't see any reason to fly that rather than another AC).

It's not just 454, I flew LH to DFW and it's also early in the morning too. Seems to me LH tries to do turnaround quick in the US (my seat was dirty when I got on 455 back from SFO), why?

I thought I couldn't sleep because I have 3 kids but I heard other pax who couldn't sleep either.

I flew with LX to LAX and their departure time from LAX to ZRH was nice 19:00 dept, but on the way out it's still day flight.

Flying to and from Asia is much better because there are tons of overnight flights available. Why don't they do night flight across the Atlantic from Europe?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Kind of nice leaving at 9:30am and getting in just after noon SFO time on the westbound. UA doesn't leave till later, erasing any value to the day arriving in SFO. When would you like them to leave? I am sure they have no real reason, and will adjust to your suggestions

Of course that same plane that gets in just after noon is SFO, turns around and leaves at 2:45pm, getting in about 9:30am in FRA. Seems like pretty effcient use of the airplane.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
LH codeshares with AC877 on FRA-YYZ that leaves at 17:00 and gets into YYZ at 19:25 from where you can transfer to lots of flights in N.A.^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
LH codeshares with AC877 on FRA-YYZ that leaves at 17:00 and gets into YYZ at 19:25 from where you can transfer to lots of flights in N.A.^
mostly to places like YUL, YVR, LGA, ORD, etc..
in other words if you want to get to LAX or SFO You're better off with the earlier LH flight.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know the skeds inside out like some people on here do lol.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
In summer schedule, there is 6pm flight from FRA to BOS. It arrives around 8pm and departs 10pm back to FRA.

LX has all year round departure from ZRH to BOS at 17.40 arriving around 8pm and departing back to ZRH at 21.40
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
mostly to places like YUL, YVR, LGA, ORD, etc..
in other words if you want to get to LAX or SFO You're better off with the earlier LH flight.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know the skeds inside out like some people on here do lol.
Yes you are better off with the earlier direct flights and that is the way I would personally go. It would be insanely tight but it might be possible to make the 20:10 YYZ-LAX AC flight. However the point I was making is that AC 877 is a handy option for a late day FRA departure to make connections to the East Coast or Midwest U.S and pretty well anywhere in Canada.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks!

I'm more interested in going to the West Coast/somewhere warm (as you can see my local hub is CPH)

I'm not a fan of first port of entry thing, I'd prefer getting to the US directly from Europe.

When LH does fly to HK from MUC, they arrive HKG at 3ish pm, then fly back at midnight. So there is plenty of turnaround time plus I never get a dirty seat when I did that route.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:34 am

Bear in mind the turn around thing PLUS the landing restrictions at night time in many parts of the world and now in FRA to
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
If you need more frequency, take a look at BA. They have a higher number of flights to the US, spread across the day.(more East coast than West coast though).

Arriving early in the US however has the additional advantage of being able to connect at the hubs for more remote destinations.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
There are rather late arrivals into EWR with LH if needed. (LX being the latest but then there are no connections left)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Arriving early in the US however has the additional advantage of being able to connect at the hubs for more remote destinations.
I'm more thinking that if the flight leaves FRA at 11pm for example, then it should be in SFO/LAX early morning. So there shouldn't be an issue for connecting flights.

One thing I'm wondering about that LH's schedule to West coast is designed to suit flights coming into FRA from Asia. Last time when I was flying FRA-DFW, I saw roughly half Indian looking pax.

Turnaround time for LH and LX TATL are too short IMO - my son threw up on a LX flight just before we landed at LAX. The flight was delayed already before take off and at LAX it had to wait another 45 mins for a gate. I was thinking, 'good luck to whoever taking our seats'.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I'm more thinking that if the flight leaves FRA at 11pm for example, then it should be in SFO/LAX early morning. So there shouldn't be an issue for connecting flights.

One thing I'm wondering about that LH's schedule to West coast is designed to suit flights coming into FRA from Asia. Last time when I was flying FRA-DFW, I saw roughly half Indian looking pax.

Turnaround time for LH and LX TATL are too short IMO - my son threw up on a LX flight just before we landed at LAX. The flight was delayed already before take off and at LAX it had to wait another 45 mins for a gate. I was thinking, 'good luck to whoever taking our seats'.
A flight departing FRA at 11 pm (can't depart later due to the night curf) will get to LAX / SFO around 2-3 am local time... What do you want on the west coast around that time? Certainly no connections leaving around then...

Then you need to turn the aircraft around... Have it leave at 7 am (most customers would be pissed to be at the airport at 5am, certainly no inbound connections possible), the plane would arrive in FRA around 3 am the following day. Certainly not possible due to the night curve. Great, one has waisted an entire day in the air, not talking about the horrible arrival time...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Originally Posted by nacho

A flight departing FRA at 11 pm (can't depart later due to the night curf) will get to LAX / SFO around 2-3 am local time... What do you want on the west coast around that time? Certainly no connections leaving around then...

Then you need to turn the aircraft around... Have it leave at 7 am (most customers would be pissed to be at the airport at 5am, certainly no inbound connections possible), the plane would arrive in FRA around 3 am the following day. Certainly not possible due to the night curve. Great, one has waisted an entire day in the air, not talking about the horrible arrival time...
Plus you'd have the plane sitting at lax/sfo all Day then if both directions should be nightflights. Not too Efficient
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
Plus you'd have the plane sitting at lax/sfo all Day then if both directions should be nightflights. Not too Efficient
Absolutely. LH does that in South Africa though (and some airlines (UA/CO,...) do that in South America) but you can't have a technical base everywhere
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Munich could be a solution for you if you're originating elsewhere in Europe -- LAX and SFO departures leave MUC later in the afternoon (around 16hrs if I recall correctly)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.