Wiki Posts
Search

New self luggage printing machines in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
New self luggage printing machines in FRA

Apologizes if this has been posted before...

In Frankfurt at check in counters 430 and 431 Lufthansa has installed kiosks for luggage drop-off with self printing of luggage tags. So far there are just two of them and there are two agents who sit at the counters 432 and 433 in case assistance is needed. But the whole feature is quite interesting. The BP barcode is scanned and the machine prints out the luggage tag (including the weight of the luggage). Afterwards, the luggage is sent off.

However, a few questions/points:

1) how to attach priority stickers?
2) what would happen if one's luggage is overweight?
3) I assume the machines can't combine two separate bookings and interline...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MUC has a previous version since nearly 10 years now.

1) 'Priority'/'HON' is printed in white on black on the luggage tag and pre sorted at the belt for container loading.
2) It will say its overweight and send you to a counter
3) nope. You can pool luggage with other passengers on the same flight on separate bookings though.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Finally!

It works pretty well and I can't remember using a staffed counter in Munich since they have them there. Same applies to the semi-staffed / self-kiosks in the US, in EWR at CO/UA for example.

Why don't they get them in other places like DUS as well? This will clearly be a real cost cut but the damn consultants (being one myself) have forgotten all about it since they use BC or FC check-in.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
FRA and MUC are trialling the new machines that will be rolled out in most german stations (I think BER will get them from day 1). The older machines in MUC that were also sold to SAS are not performing so well anymore as they are getting older. If you look closely most of them are unlocked for easier access by the service guy that roams around to fix paper jams.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Finally!

It works pretty well and I can't remember using a staffed counter in Munich since they have them there. Same applies to the semi-staffed / self-kiosks in the US, in EWR at CO/UA for example.

Why don't they get them in other places like DUS as well? This will clearly be a real cost cut but the damn consultants (being one myself) have forgotten all about it since they use BC or FC check-in.

I remember DUS having the same some 8+ years ago and when I moved a few years ago and FRA became my home airport I was surprised that they didn't have them.

Seems to have been a lack of progress in this area, as I liked them. Although I did stop using when I became *G and switch to the First class counter (sadly those days are gone).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:14 am

I saw them in January but since I was on a group checkin I didn't get to use them. It also didn't look like many wer einterested in using them either - guess they were worried about sending their luggage to neverseeyouagain

Still the same was ture of the check in terminals and now some of us would never use anything else again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.