Wiki Posts
Search

LH/LX/OS European C

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
LH/LX/OS European C

Hi, looking to fly from STR-ARN later this spring and will burn some United MileagePlus miles for a one-way business class award. I'd prefer to stay off regional jets to make sure we enjoy a true Euro C experience...

Timing and availability all works out such that we can fly LH via FRA or MUC, LX via ZRH, or OS through VIE. Which carrier should we prefer for comfort, food, lounge, etc? One must be better than the rest, right? (I'm assuming that it's NOT SK, which is why they're left out of the equation.)
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsl42
I'd prefer to stay off regional jets to make sure we enjoy a true Euro C experience...
There is very little difference between a true Euro C experience and a true Euro Y experience these days, especially on board. This goes for larger jets as well as regional ones.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by jsl42
Hi, looking to fly from STR-ARN later this spring and will burn some United MileagePlus miles for a one-way business class award. I'd prefer to stay off regional jets to make sure we enjoy a true Euro C experience...

Timing and availability all works out such that we can fly LH via FRA or MUC, LX via ZRH, or OS through VIE. Which carrier should we prefer for comfort, food, lounge, etc? One must be better than the rest, right? (I'm assuming that it's NOT SK, which is why they're left out of the equation.)
Why do you assume it is not SK?
IMO it is LX/SK > LH > OS
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
wouldnt waste my miles if I were you !!! Euro C is same as Euro Y onboard, slightly better food/drink - to get anything outside this experience you will have to go to Middle East/North Africa/long haul- and if ur *Gold then you use the lounges anyway - IMHO LH>LX>OS>>>>SK
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:52 am

Euro C is nothing to write home about, the seats are the same with just a blocked middle seat, only slightly better food (Lufthansa's intra euro C food is not good at all). I personally would not burn any miles or money on that product unless you are connecting to a longhaul in C or F or you get a very good price for a mileage run for instance... The price however is ridicilous in most cases and only slightly less than a longhaul C ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by cbourl
IMHO LH>LX>OS>>>>SK
If in Y, I would agree with that assessment, but you can't seriously mean that the new LH intra Europe C product is superior to that of LX and SK. The latter has by far the best food - and is the only one to still serve proper Champagne, while LX and even OS is better than LH.

LH food is almost at the level of Air France now, and that's bad!

However, spending a lot of money or points to fly C within Europe is definitely not worth it. Maybe when the flight time is far exceeding 2 hours, but for anything less, it's just a waste.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by ILS2
If in Y, I would agree with that assessment, but you can't seriously mean that the new LH intra Europe C product is superior to that of LX and SK. The latter has by far the best food - and is the only one to still serve proper Champagne, while LX and even OS is better than LH.

LH food is almost at the level of Air France now, and that's bad!

However, spending a lot of money or points to fly C within Europe is definitely not worth it. Maybe when the flight time is far exceeding 2 hours, but for anything less, it's just a waste.
Lufthansa's intra euro C food is worse than Aeroflot's intra euro Y food. So defintly agree with you about the food. The only reason for me to use Lufthansa C on intraeuropean segments is the limo drive to the terminal when connecting to Lufthansa F and you can use the FCT when coming from F so you can just exit, walk to the FCT and be driven to your connecting flight.

On my last flight I was really thankful I chose to do it that way because I had a cold and a fever so I didn't need to spend time to through the terminal, just exit via baggage claim and walk to the FCT and relax.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Your 1K card will allow you to access the lounge (SEN with LH/SK, Scanorama /or whatever they call these days the upper deck in CPH, the lounge to the left in STO/ with SK), most airlines (excluding SK/SN) will feed you (with something small) AND even in Y wine/beer is still for free (excluding SK/SN). Use your miles wisely, don't burn for C-class in Europe
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'd say SK has the best intra-Europe business class offerings currently.
LH is probably the worst.

My rating would be:
1.) SK
2.) OS
3.) LX
4.) LH
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: plenty
beware of the RJ's

since you mention you would rather NOT be on a regional jet, LH is your only choice. All OS flights STR-VIE are operated by subsidiary VO Tyrolean, usually with Fokker 70/100, all LX STR-ZRH by C3 Contactair Fokker 100 or LX Avro Regional Jets.
So your best choice is LH, they have a few connections with LH 737 or A320. Just make sure you avoid the flights operated by C3 and IQ Augsburg Airways.
From my personal experience, LH is the best of the 3 in European Business Class any way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.