Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has LH revenue management lost the plot?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by PolandExpat
Done. For me this is a death knell for LH.
I'd go with QR or EK!
You won't be disappointed!
Currently I have EK Gold Status but will be re-evaluating once QR join OneWorld.
LH are asking for trouble in the future IMHO, as they are actively p***ing off so many customers. I'm hedging my bets with BA, CX and EK.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by Rambuster
But it is quite strange to see Z and D class zeroed out on nearly empty flights in the business cabin....and the flights actually leaving empty up front.
Why strange?

Welcome to the world of LH!

I have seen flights MUC-ZRH with 19 pax on board and Y9B9M0.....0 even a week before...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rorschi
Why strange?

Welcome to the world of LH!

I have seen flights MUC-ZRH with 19 pax on board and Y9B9M0.....0 even a week before...
I've had quite a few of these experiences ...
I was recently on a Z ticket which I wanted to rebook.
The waitlist got denied, then I rebooked to D class.
This also got rejected by revenue management.
Finally a C class ticket cleared the waiting list about 12h before departure.
The flight took off with 8 rows of Business (32 seats available for sale) and only 2 seats occupied!
I won't be playing that game anymore!

I'll requalify my status until 02/16 soon, but that's going to be it.
After then it will be time to burn my 3.5m miles.
I might reconsider once cooler head prevail at the top of LH.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..The waitlist got denied, then I rebooked to D class.
This also got rejected by revenue management.
Finally a C class ticket cleared the waiting list about 12h before departure.
The flight took off with 8 rows of Business (32 seats available for sale) and only 2 seats occupied! ..
It must be quite regular a game ... as even the Church of LH Apologetics hardly ever defends such maneuvers here anymore.

Prior to the demise of M&M you would have gotten some creationist intelligent management design theory based on married segments and the gods of bid-and-ask.

I wonder of it is the same with overpriced coach fares ex SIN? Of course I am not really qualified to comment on the travel experience itself as every single LH longhaul I was booked on got canceled since February ...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
On the same topic, can anybody explain to me, why LH zeros out D if Z and P are still wide open:

0 HAM
01/08/13 6:30 AM FRA
01/08/13 7:45 AM 321
M,T,W,Th,F,Sa
82% / 8m J9 C9 D0 Z9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H0 G0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 E0 L0 K0

S
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
On the same topic, can anybody explain to me, why LH zeros out D if Z and P are still wide open:

0 HAM
01/08/13 6:30 AM FRA
01/08/13 7:45 AM 321
M,T,W,Th,F,Sa
82% / 8m J9 C9 D0 Z9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H0 G0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 E0 L0 K0

S
Probably as you can't book this domestic trip in P and Z as such but only as a feeder flight to longhaul. D class however can be booked as a pure domestic segment - subject to availability.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:39 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PolandExpat
...but I'm even more confused with their fares. They are effectively driving me away from flying LH and I wonder how the long term prospects for them could ever be positive.
That's easy. LH has started to define the seat-load-factor as a determining factor as to the profitability of a route. If they can't sell the seats with their current tactic, they'll reduce the number of seats (cancel flights, use smaller airplanes) thereby INCREASING the seat-load-factor. At this point they'll also drop the price again and fill the cabin, resulting in record highs for seat-load-factors. At the same time LH will realize that they don't make any profit. The reason for that is found quickly, however: costs are too high and need to be reduced.

HTB.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I tried to rebook a long haul flight for three pax four days before outbound- I had a D fare, the flight was showing J9 C0 D0 Z0 P6 I3!! They wanted fare diff between D and J, i asked them jokingly if they can downgrade us to P fare as the flight was showing P6 and more than 20 seats not were taken. Revenue management refused to clear the wait list, luckily the D fare was cancellable, so it was bye bye LH and 12000 EUR lost to them in this instance.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
Originally Posted by htb
That's easy. LH has started to define the seat-load-factor as a determining factor as to the profitability of a route. If they can't sell the seats with their current tactic, they'll reduce the number of seats (cancel flights, use smaller airplanes) thereby INCREASING the seat-load-factor. At this point they'll also drop the price again and fill the cabin, resulting in record highs for seat-load-factors. At the same time LH will realize that they don't make any profit. The reason for that is found quickly, however: costs are too high and need to be reduced.

HTB.
Then they had better start dumping the 380's and 747-800's now and switch to an all A319 fleet
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
I won't be playing that game anymore!
I CAN'T play it anymore.

It's not only that MUC-ZRH is rarely available below 800 EUR (it's up to me if I'm willing to pay this or not) - it's even worse, when you buy a ticket (even an expensive one) and get the information that you can rebook it for a specific fee.
And when you need to rebook it, you can pay the difference for the booking class + the communicated rebooking fee...

This turns every LH-booking into an imponderable risk, which is the biggest problem I have with this company. But it's a pretty serious one.

Other airlines play the game with advance-booking-fare rules, which is fair and calculable.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its seems 2012 was a good year for extracting yield. In this weeks Lufthanseat Spohr was all praise:

Code:
Carsten Spohr, Chief Officer
Lufthansa German Airlines, VL,
said the entire Sales division
had succeeded very well in
2012 in achieving its “non-stop
sales” objective, alluding to the
motto of the Seeheim event. He
also thanked everyone for a
record sales performance, but
admitted that in many ways
2012 had been an unrewarding
year. “Never before has our
Sales division generated more
in terms of total revenue, or per
available seat. But your outstanding
performance was
eroded by our high costs,”
Spohr said.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its seems 2012 was a good year for extracting yield. In this weeks Lufthanseat Spohr was all praise:

Code:
Carsten Spohr, Chief Officer
Lufthansa German Airlines, VL,
said the entire Sales division
had succeeded very well in
2012 in achieving its “non-stop
sales” objective, alluding to the
motto of the Seeheim event. He
also thanked everyone for a
record sales performance, but
admitted that in many ways
2012 had been an unrewarding
year. “Never before has our
Sales division generated more
in terms of total revenue, or per
available seat. But your outstanding
performance was
eroded by our high costs,”
Spohr said.

That's what happens when you sell a lot of cheap seats to the " Nonstopyou " crowd with the cost structure of a mega airline . This can not be a big surprise , could just have asked all the other megas who tried it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:57 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Originally Posted by seat 1a

That's what happens when you sell a lot of cheap seats to the " Nonstopyou " crowd with the cost structure of a mega airline . This can not be a big surprise , could just have asked all the other megas who tried it.
Well, if total revenue per available seat was the best *ever* (!), there's probably no problem with cheap seats. And since it's become quite hard to find tickets for a domestic return for under EUR 200, I can see where the money is coming from... OTOH, fuel costs seem to have risen, too, which is probably what he is referring to. Or what other costs have risen so enormously?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txl
Well, if total revenue per available seat was the best *ever* (!), there's probably no problem with cheap seats. And since it's become quite hard to find tickets for a domestic return for under EUR 200, I can see where the money is coming from... OTOH, fuel costs seem to have risen, too, which is probably what he is referring to. Or what other costs have risen so enormously?
What is said there is difficult to understand:
If revenue per available seat mile is at a record high and sales revenue is at a record high while fixed costs were reduced (via SCORE and other initiatives)- operating margin would be higher- or am I missing something?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SCORE was just launched, so FY 2012 will see no major effects in Q1-3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.