Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Long-Haul Business Class launch [merged rationale discussion]

Lufthansa Long-Haul Business Class launch [merged rationale discussion]

Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Matze20111984
I can't see that much difference (size of foot area) between the pictures of LH an SQ
The new SQ J (and F) seats are super wide - actually too wide for me. The foot area for the J seats, though narrower, is not a problem for me.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
The new SQ J (and F) seats are super wide - actually too wide for me. The foot area for the J seats, though narrower, is not a problem for me.
So may be the new LH foot area wouldn't be problem as well.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:17 am

See things from the positive side, one might get the chance to see many
interesting feet when the neighbour takes his socks off
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No time to write a full report yet, but a little preview of the fotos we made today: https://picasaweb.google.com/1043151...at=directlink#
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thumbs up

I have to admit the seat itself looks nice and now that it can be turned to a real flat surface to sleep on that's at least a major +. At least no more slides which make me dread overnight flights. I love 1-2-1 spacing but I understand that is not a reality with LH, there must be some difference between business and first. overall for individual travels I think the middle pair seats would be ok. But i see that there is some space between the seats when fully reclined which would make it possible to get over your seatmate if you are stuck in the window seat.

What most people find weird is the close proximity of your neighbours feet. I must admit it does look a bit too close for unwanted intimacy but as we have not seen the seat installed yet or have experienced it yet in person it could be less worrysome then expected.

What surprises me the most that is no place to but any personal items within reach just like UA C. I'm missing a place to put a spectacle case, book/ticketwallet or for the ladies their beauty items. I see a space under the footrest but I guess this will be a no stowage area so everything must be put in the overhead bin.

Well I'm looking forward which of you lucky guys can make the first FT tried and tested of the new seat.

Last edited by HadesNL; Mar 8, 2012 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No time to write a full report yet, but a little preview of the fotos we made today: https://picasaweb.google.com/1043151...at=directlink#
Thanks for sharing this!

Your picutres give me a better impression of what is to be expected.
However, I am not sure LH can be proud of their new seat, as especially the QR seat looks much better to me IMHO.

I'm also looking forward to the TG C & F seats on the A380 on FRA-BKK.
I have a feeling I might be flying them quite a bit in the next years!^
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I felt encapsulated in the QR seat to be honest, with a big fat LCD screen stuck in my face If I have to stare at the TG C product in orchid lilac for 10+h to BKK, I will get a migraine . For the EK first suite you certainly need sunglasses Still it was good to see whats out there, sadly didn't have time for the SQ stand

As I tweeted earlier today, the new LH C product is like a VW Passat: functional, does its job, ever so slightly classy, could be better if you had paid more but then you went for a Passat, not an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series. The F product is more VW Phaeton and not Audi A8 or BMW 7 series. Its a compromise LH is trying to make, let see if they succeed with it. An Audi version of the new C would have cost them quite a few seats and investment cash which they don't have. More later.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS Silver, EK
Thanks for the pictures! I am glad it's finally out. Although I wasn't expected to be wowed by it, it's good enough. The size of the footrest is very similar to the size of UA, CO, SQ and even VS (although a move visible partition will be welcomed). Has not really been a problem for me. Jumping out of the seat from window is the same issue with UA (which even has 4 in the middle), CO, BA, TK and a couple of others. It's business class, not first lol. Major issue here is privacy but I can over look that, others might not. Screen size is big, privacy when sleeping looks good and there seems to be enough storage. The cabin also looks very elegant! Would definitely try it.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:32 am

As I tweeted earlier today, the new LH C product is like a VW Passat: functional, does its job, ever so slightly classy, could be better if you had paid more but then you went for a Passat, not an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series. The F product is more VW Phaeton and not Audi A8 or BMW 7 series. Its a compromise LH is trying to make, let see if they succeed with it. An Audi version of the new C would have cost them quite a few seats and investment cash which they don't have. More later.
Lookas more like a Trabant 2.0
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Nobody has tried the seat on a flight, but everybody is complaining! Unbelievable and by the way the Singapore Airlines business seat has a very similar foot area! Isn't that much bigger, is it?

SQ and LH seem to both have 'favorable' seats with more legroom: The bulkhead seats on SQ widen the 'foothole' to the whole width of the seat. If you watch the LH promotional video you can see the wider footrest area (I would guess double the width) at the very end of the video where they show the pair of seats in front of the emergency exit rows.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:02 pm

So may be the new LH foot area wouldn't be problem as well.
I doubt it. The pic for LH's foot area looks smaller, plus the divider is so short. On SQ, there's never any sense that your feet may accidentally go over to the other side.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:06 pm

I never thought I'd see the day that American Airlines will have a superior business seat than Lufthansa! the seats would be ok if 1-2-1 or just -1-1 on upper deck.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:12 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by divjan
is it me or do we have 2x versions of business class seat, one w movable screens and the ability to move your feet around and another one w fixed screens and a hole where the feet go in????
i got it ..those are the exit seats in the upper deck...
Originally Posted by SMK77
If you watch the LH promotional video you can see the wider footrest area (I would guess double the width) at the very end of the video where they show the pair of seats in front of the emergency exit rows.
The cubbyholes by the exit door may be slightly wider especially for the aisle seat but they are boxed in by the fixed screens

compared to the shelf with a divider in other rows.

I'm not really sure which is better.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:23 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Spotted at the end of this press release.

Retrofitting Lufthansa's entire long-haul fleet of more than 100 aircraft is expected to take four years.
Do we believe this? Does it include the A380?

P.S. OK, I've done my sums.
There are (or will be when two more A380s are delivered and 3 744s have left the fleet):
25 x 744
10 x 380
24 x 346
26 x 343
15 x 333

That makes a total of exactly 100 to be retroffited with the new C.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
I typically take one long haul RT per year and I am just glad that their new seat is a true lay-flat. Having said that, my husband who takes over five long hauls in LH C per year was not happy when I showed him the seats. Like others he focused on the foot area. He was asking why LH can't go to a 1-2-1 configuration as SQ, his favorite airline, and I told him that I was under the impression that SQ receives subsidies from the Singaporean government and that is why SQ is able to limit C seating rather than squeeze in as many seats as possible.

Also, I've seen rave reviews regarding Swiss on FT over the years, so I am wondering why didn't LH as the parent company just use the Swiss seat for their new C configuration?

Thanks.

Last edited by janehoya; Mar 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.