Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles due to expire soon? [merged expiring miles Q&A]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Question What to do with miles due to expire soon? [merged expiring miles Q&A]

I have Continental miles that is very active, but my Miles & More account has approx. 6000 miles, and I do not intend to fly Lufthansa again. Can I somehow combine the MM miles with the OnePass account?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: LH HON
No way
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: M&M FTL, bahn.comfort
I think the best way to do this is to give them as a "gift" so someone with an active M&M account; perhaps in exchange to someone who either pays you $60 bucks for them or can "gift" some Continental miles they no longer need in exchange.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:20 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Welcome to Flyertalk, flippyflyer!

Originally Posted by LarsMB
I think the best way to do this is to give them as a "gift" so someone with an active M&M account; perhaps in exchange to someone who either pays you $60 bucks for them or can "gift" some Continental miles they no longer need in exchange.
The only way to gift them to someone is to find an item from the catalogue (i. e. an 'award') that costs 6000 miles. You cannot transfer miles to another account.

Last edited by txl; Jun 10, 2011 at 3:31 am
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I used my orphan miles (16K) to partial pay for a hotel the other day. I was even more surprised to find out how much I was able to redeem the miles for. I booked a 3-night stay at an Intercontinental in Mexico that would have normally cost me about $580. I booked it through the MM site for $305 plus my miles . Basically my 16K miles were worth about $275.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
6000 miles awards do appear in the 'mileage bargains' once in a while... http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000332
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Question What to do with 22k miles due to expire end of March [merged expiring miles Q&A]

I used to fly LH/BD frequently, but haven't now for a number of years, and am left with an 'orphan' 22k miles in my M&M account which are due to expire at the end of March. I thought I could take another flight to extend their validity, but on reading the T&Cs last night, I was confusing them with other airlines, and it seems use them or lose them. A quick search last night didn't show much in the way of flights - I could do a one way EDI (where I am based) - LHR in J on BD if I can find availability which would spend about 17k, leaving only 5 k to expire, but that's really all I could see to do with them, and given that 22k came from a J flight to Asia, it doesn't seem like a very good use of them

Anyone more versed in M&M can offer any better suggestions, to make sure they don't go entirely to waste? Thanks if you can.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

A flysmart award is 15/25k for Y/C inside Europe if booked 14-3 days before departure.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002

Besides the airlines listed in the link above, it can also be used on LH's semi LCC Germanwings who fly EDI-CGN and onwards, have low taxes and give a decent fee free deal to award bookings.
http://www.germanwings.com/en/Boomer...lesandmore.htm

One way awards are only available on LH group metal (not bmi):
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:40 am

I am struggling a little bit with weekends in March to get away though (but not entirely impossible - watch out for a short notice Do coming to a city near you! ). I'm off to the AF/Tour de France Do at the end of April, and while all my travel is booked (and committed to Skyteam - would be bad not to!), I do wonder if I could get either rental car or hotels with the miles. A quick look at the hotels suggests thats not that good value (118k required for the stay ) but car rental seems a possibility as well.

Thanks for catching my errors though. Using it to visit friends in London had seemed like the easy option, but I guess not now!

Thanks again for the help
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: LH FT
Most of the times the taxes and surcharges on those intra-europe flights are almost as much as when you purchase a 99€ ticket, so I save up my miles for longer travel.

Lufthansa has another great way to spend some left over miles:
http://www.worldshop.eu

They have all different stuff and a good wine selection. You can even take care of the shipping costs to UK with miles. So I think that'll give you more enjoyment for the miles than a flight you didn't want to take.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:41 am

Thanks Ternate - never thought of that ^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You can also convert into Radisson gift cards, or donate them to a worthy cause.

(Must check the T&Cs as my kids have some in M&M from before BMI did family accounts...)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:58 am

Didn't dare to suggest the worldshop... its below a FTers dignity to suggest that , but I did use 5-10k balance on my in laws account to subsidise a few luggage purchases in the past, you can pay with miles and cash.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:28 am

If it's the difference between losing them into that great mileage hole in the sky or shopping with them...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:32 am

They used to have mileage bargains too, with LO/OS offering awards for as low as 6000 miles:

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000170

Sadly the programme is suspended since a few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.