Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles due to expire soon? [merged expiring miles Q&A]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:56 pm

(double post)
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
You only need to book a ticket, it doesn't matter where to. That alone will prevent the miles from expiring.

You can always cancel the flights later and spend the miles on another route, the 50 EUR cancellation fee is quite small when compared to the potential loss of 170k miles.
If I book and cancel (for the miles to be credited back). How long will the miles be valid for me to book something else?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by teahan
If I book and cancel (for the miles to be credited back). How long will the miles be valid for me to book something else?

Off the top of my head, I think that it’s until the end of the quarter in which you can cancel. So theoretically, you have almost 3 months from cancellation until you have to re-use the miles. There is a thread about this somewhere here.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by KP2006
Note that expiration date of miles does not get extended through account activity. Unless you have status or CC they will expire - although you can redeem for award and change later (less 50 EUR) fee
Will i get my miles protected if i get a credit card (with miles expiry protection) and then cancel my award booking (for EUR 50) that I booked to save my miles from expiry on 31 March?

Unfortunately I was late in applying for the new card and too late in realising my existing card no longer offers the expiry protection (surprise surprise!!!).
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:24 am

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
So I guess this thread confirms what I suspected - LH are not giving mileage expiry extensions due to COVID-19.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:25 pm

If I book a flight with miles about to expire, and then LH cancels the flight, can I wait to ask LH to refund the miles and thereby extend the expiration for free?

For example, can it work like this: my miles expire today June 30. I book a flight today for July 31. LH then cancels that flight. I wait to ask for my miles to be refunded until October 1, which in theory means they are vaild till Dec 31?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by lewinr
If I book a flight with miles about to expire, and then LH cancels the flight, can I wait to ask LH to refund the miles and thereby extend the expiration for free?

For example, can it work like this: my miles expire today June 30. I book a flight today for July 31. LH then cancels that flight. I wait to ask for my miles to be refunded until October 1, which in theory means they are vaild till Dec 31?
I don’t know whether that would work. If I were you, I’d book a flight for June 2021 and get some peace of mind and minimize the hassle.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to use the miles before the end of this year but I'm not sure if it will be Q2 or Q3.

And with the chance of schedule changes and cancellations, I can get my points back without needing to spend 50 euros, but i think the chance of the cancellation is lower in Q4. So I trade the risk of having the miles expire again before i really need them against the chance of getting the miles back without paying 50 euros.

I'm hoping that somebody simply has had this experience (not asking for the miles to be redeposited immediately) and knows if this will work. If yes, then the risk is low.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 12:10 pm

I have miles set to expire on 9/30/20. If I book a flight with them, and in the meantime get a M&M credit card that protects against mileage expiration, is it safe to assume that when I cancel, the redeposited miles will not expire as long as I meet all conditions for required spending on the card? Thanks.

Yonatan
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by yonatan
I have miles set to expire on 9/30/20. If I book a flight with them, and in the meantime get a M&M credit card that protects against mileage expiration, is it safe to assume that when I cancel, the redeposited miles will not expire as long as I meet all conditions for required spending on the card? Thanks.

Yonatan
Did you get any clarity on this?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by teahan
Did you get any clarity on this?
I think this should be working fine.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:23 am

Getting different answers from different reps.
1. From the Hotel and Car rental, if I use expiring miles to book beyond the date and cancel after that, the miles will be reinstated and last till the end of the quarter.
2. From the Flight award department, if I book a flight beyond the expiring date and cancel after that, the miles will be expired but sometimes they are reinstated and available in the account, sometimes for a few hours, a few days or weeks but sometimes they are just gone forever. It's random by the system, she said.
3. If the flight booked is canceled, the miles are just gone forever with no other option.

Anyone who has any experience about this? It is very confusing and not consistent at all.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:02 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Has M&M extended the miles expiry date? I remember early January 2021, when I checked on my online account, I had 45k due to expire June 30, 2021. But today when I checked, there is nothing showing anymore..... I still can't figure out where to check when my miles are due to expire.... or to do they only show up on the account statement 6 months prior the expiry date?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:09 am

so I ended up buying a ticket, and of course the flight was rescheduled so I am entitled to my miles back.

I didnt ask for the refund immediately, and I was told I can ask for the miles to be redeposited in my account anytime in the future, so I'm waiting until I need them.

But now i have no miles in my account and I cannot check availability of award flights online, as the website requires at least 7000 miles to do a search. (I dont remember this from the past, I guess it is something new, or I just have more than 7000 miles in my account for a long time.)

Calling in every time I want to check award availability is not very convenient... does anybody know a work-around to allow me to check for award availability online if I have less than 7000 miles in my account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.