Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-CGN Lufthansa/bmi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
LHR-CGN Lufthansa/bmi

Okay, so before the smartypants of you that wants to tell me to check in with my operating carrier, I'd like to note that I only want somebody familiar with this particular situation to assist with this query. I am flying LH 3413 and 3412 London to Cologne and back in a week. It is operated by bmi, but as a Lufthansa flight. (IE, there is no bmi flight number) When I called Lufthansa and bmi, they both informed me that the baggage policy of the other carrier applied for my flights, and I need to figure this out. Because you have Lufthansa's 2 bags at 23 kg each, vs bmi's 20 kg plus 20 additional for Star Gold (Which states that a second bag costs £15, even if under the weight, though not sure if this is applicable to Star Gold) And then the bmi lady told me to check in with Lufthansa for my flights, while the Lufthansa lady told me to check in with bmi. I usually do LHR-FRA-CGN, so never dealt with this before, but do not recall bmi desks in Cologne. So I am really confused about this flight, and would love advice of someone who has gone this route before, so I can get my bags and such situated. (Star Gold, so I do get the bonus baggage, but bmi's policy did not state that £15 second bag fee is waived for Star Gold, so advice on this would be great as well)
Mahalo nui loa!
Gray
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, AlwaysFlyStar. There is a Forum which is dedicated to Lufthansa (Miles and More). Those who are active in that Forum, I am certain, will be happy to be of assistance.
Good Luck
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
This is a Lufthansa flight and LH baggage policy will apply. Rather surprising to hear that LH agent could not confirm this to you at the very beginning
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olm022
This is a Lufthansa flight and LH baggage policy will apply. Rather surprising to hear that LH agent could not confirm this to you at the very beginning
Well, I will admit, I called the US/Canada office, because my landline has free US calls, instead of the 0870 number (10p a minute) they try to force us to use in UK, so the US Lufthansa agents might be less familiar with the actual Lufthansa stuff, more focused on the transatlantic stuff.
But do I check in at bmi counter in Heathrow?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Well, I will admit, I called the US/Canada office, because my landline has free US calls, instead of the 0870 number (10p a minute) they try to force us to use in UK, so the US Lufthansa agents might be less familiar with the actual Lufthansa stuff, more focused on the transatlantic stuff.
It's an LH flight .. check-in with LH.
Also, you'll find people here much more willing to help or indulge you, on occasion, if you refrain from personal categorisations like "smartypants".
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
This is a pure LH flight. Period . Not a code-share, just a regular LH flight that happens to be on an non-LH metal.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

This is a pure LH flight. Period . Not a code-share, just a regular LH flight that happens to be on an non-LH metal.
So it is basically like flying on one of the regionals? (CityLine for LH, Jazz for AC, SkyWest for UA)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
It's an LH flight .. check-in with LH.
At LHR, LH and BD share the same premium check-in counter in any case.

So it is basically like flying on one of the regionals? (CityLine for LH, Jazz for AC, SkyWest for UA)
I haven't actually flown LHR-CGN and may not be qualified to answer the OP's question but if it's like LH flights between MAN and FRA on BD metal, with BD crew, you'll get better seats (not NEK) and better food than on LHR-FRA flights for example.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF-KL Gold, AB Plat
It absolutely is and as olm022 and UAPremExecflyer already stated, as a regular on that route I can confirm it's LH checkin, LH rules, LH lounges and just accidentally another plane. No bmi checkin desks at CGN anyway...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
It is the weirdest fligth of the whole Lufthansa system. A bmi plane (at a least a plane painted in bmi colors), a bmi crew but Lufthansa seats and Lufthansa catering.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by caspritz78
It is the weirdest fligth of the whole Lufthansa system. A bmi plane (at a least a plane painted in bmi colors), a bmi crew but Lufthansa seats and Lufthansa catering.
. . . and the Lufthansa inflight magazine, for what it's worth. Strange, indeed.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It looks like all this confusion will disappear in a few weeks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...lhr-route.html
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It looks like all this confusion will disappear in a few weeks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...lhr-route.html
Good, I can just hope my LCY/LHR-FRA-CGN flights don't go to expensive, because I really like my miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.