FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   BROKEN GLASS in flight meal, LUFTHANSA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1313525-broken-glass-flight-meal-lufthansa.html)

bonodad Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

BROKEN GLASS in flight meal, LUFTHANSA

http://cfile10.uf.tistory.com/origin...4F38A42D1BDA26
Hello,

This wouldn't be happended but did. There was a large piece of brokren glass
in the flight meal, business class LUFTHANSA LH907, 28th Jan. I felt something hard
between my teeth and put it out with my fingers. If I spitted out, my lips would
cut badly. 10 days after, they suggested 5000 award miles or one way higher upgrade
in next ride for my disppointment. I denied all of them. It seeems that those
thinns easily happen in LUFTHANSA flight? I didn't feel they treated this seriouly
which almost killed me. :td:

rafi2k6 Feb 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Did you send them the picture? Keep on top of them about this.

KLouis Feb 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by bonodad (Post 18004139)
...10 days after, they suggested 5000 award miles or one way higher upgrade in next ride for my disppointment. I denied all of them. It seeems that those thinns easily happen in LUFTHANSA flight? ...

What would have satisfied you? 5000 Euro? And why do you say that these things happen often with LH? Are kitchen employees at their catering provider obliged to dispose of broken glass in the food they're preparing?

anaidross Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

but that is really serious isn't it? Imagine if the OP has swallowed the broken glass piece. The EUR5000 would not even be enough to resolve the matter.

WilcoRoger Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

In a similar case my tooth broke on the crust of the "brötchen" - I made the purser aware of this, filled out a claim onboard and LH paid for my dentist's bill.

I came away with the feeling that "s h i t sometimes does happen, but we do our best to minimize the damage"

5000 points would have been a major disappointment and wouldn't have even considered it.

The glass shard in the OP's case was potentially even life threatening...

8420PR Feb 15, 2012 12:09 am

Decide what you actually want and ask for it.

Germany doesn't have a compensation culture - typically (& legally) compensation is limited to the actual damage caused (which luckily here is none) - so for LH it is a matter of offering what it takes to retain your business. If you use the one way upgrade on an intercontinental flight I think it is quite generous, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck. I hope that the crew report and photo have been forwarded to the caterers, so at least they can identify where the glass came from.

Jaimito Cartero Feb 15, 2012 12:12 am

I've spotted glass on top of a dessert before on a NWA flight many years ago. Just a small chip, but glad I saw it. If you feel that you really were hurt, then pursue it further. Do you have medical bills? If not, then it may be a little harder to prove actual damages.

oliver2002 Feb 15, 2012 12:48 am

I found a piece of glass in the desert ex-JFK last spring and a hefty piece of stone in the rice ex FRA in January. Both reports caused concern with the crew and the P2 later made me sign the report to make sure I saw it was reported.

FYI some info on how a pax handled the discovery of a cockroach in her meal: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...lass-meal.html

bonodad Feb 15, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 18017919)
What would have satisfied you? 5000 Euro? And why do you say that these things happen often with LH? Are kitchen employees at their catering provider obliged to dispose of broken glass in the food they're preparing?

If I had any case of physical hurt, I would sued LH, not make that kind of gentle complaint. I want you to recongnize that that piece of glass could kill me or do some serious damage to me, and LH shouldn't hadle that issue such casually. I asked why that thing may haapen frequestly was LH handled that issue so casually not seriously.
I don't want to talk about those compensation they offered because they were useless. They should report me why that glass was
inside the meal, how they fixed and heartful apology, which were totally absent in their e-mail and phone call. I was lucky not to chew that, but it is very different from that LH has nothing to do with the glass. If somebody in my shoes, would be happy with LH's offers? I completely don't think so.

Ready2Go Feb 15, 2012 1:59 am

Well, I live in the heartland of compensation culture, but I would consider an international upgrade to be more than adequate compensation for an incident that did not hurt or harm me in any way. What damages would you claim?

sperrgepaeck Feb 15, 2012 2:07 am

Originally Posted by bonodad (Post 18018181)
If I had any case of physical hurt, I would sued that stupid airline not make that kind of gentle complaint. I want you to recongnize that that piece of glass could kill me or do some serious damage to me, and that stupid airline shouldn't hadle that issue such casually. I asked why that thing may haapen frequestly was LH handled that issue so casually not seriously.
I don't want to talk about those compensation they offered because they were useless. They should report me why taht glass was
inside the meal, how they fixed and heartful apology, which were totally absent in their e-mail and phone call. I was lucky not to chew that, but it is very different from that LH has nothing to do with the glass. If somebody in my shoes, would be happy with LH's offers? I completely don't think so.

I feel your discomfort and agree that it was not a pleasant experience. Thankfully you found the piece in time.

If you are a frequent flyer you are well aware of the fact that each airline has its catering devision and the catering puts your lovely food together. So by calling the airline stupid that might release temporary pressure on your side and make you feel good, but will not gain you any support in this forum. I am not saying that you should use your "stupid" adjectiv towards the catering company though.

I suggest you put all together in a complaint form and sent it to LH. They will respond to you respectfully, but only if you approach them with the proper manners.

If you have proof that LH has intentially placed this piece of glass in your food, then by all means I will petition on your side.

Sorry again to hear about your tragedy and let us know about the outcome of your complain in due time.

mxr Feb 15, 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 18018081)
I found a piece of glass in the desert ex-JFK last spring and a hefty piece of stone in the rice ex FRA in January. Both reports caused concern with the crew and the P2 later made me sign the report to make sure I saw it was reported.

FYI some info on how a pax handled the discovery of a cockroach in her meal: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...lass-meal.html

why does the glass issue happen at all?

I dont know how it looks like where the food gets catered, but it seems like they are missing one of the most important things: rubber floors - I cant think of many reasons why glass could get into prepared food.

If something like this would happen in a chinese factory, just imagine what could be asked for compensation!

oliver2002 Feb 15, 2012 6:01 am

My guess is broken glass left in the carts that gets dislodged when the tray are pulled out. On longhaul all meals are covered with plastic hoods and/or plastic cling film which is removed in the galley before the carts move out into the aisle....

AJLondon Feb 15, 2012 6:38 am

OP do you have a US address? Might be best to contact LH thru there, and given the litigation culture there, they might be a tad more responsive and reasonable...

bonodad Feb 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck (Post 18018275)
I feel your discomfort and agree that it was not a pleasant experience. Thankfully you found the piece in time.

If you are a frequent flyer you are well aware of the fact that each airline has its catering devision and the catering puts your lovely food together. So by calling the airline stupid that might release temporary pressure on your side and make you feel good, but will not gain you any support in this forum. I am not saying that you should use your "stupid" adjectiv towards the catering company though.

I suggest you put all together in a complaint form and sent it to LH. They will respond to you respectfully, but only if you approach them with the proper manners.

If you have proof that LH has intentially placed this piece of glass in your food, then by all means I will petition on your side.

Sorry again to hear about your tragedy and let us know about the outcome of your complain in due time.

Thank you for your kind advice. I changed it and I try to contact them properly.