Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Flight abandoned mid-flight and turned back - compensation due?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
LH Flight abandoned mid-flight and turned back - compensation due?

I was on LH412 on Thursday - MUC-EWR. We took off on time, but 2 hours into the flight, the Captain advised us that there was a technical problem with the computer that calcualtes the fuel usage anbd we were returning to MUC.

I was reaccommodated onto a flight via FRA the next day, and given a hotel voucher which included a buffet dinner and shuttle to/from the hotel.

I was travelling on a Business Class award ticket.

Was I supposed to be offered compensation because of the mechanical failure? I was not offered anything at the airport by the agent who re-ticketed me.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:26 am

Yes. You have a claim.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Perhaps the OP would have preferred it if the captain had just ignored the warning and chanced it across the Atlantic?

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Complain using this form: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Feedb...dbackType=FBCA and see what they respond. If you don't like what you hear, raise it with the LBA (Germanys FAA) here and see what they say: http://www.lba.de/EN/CustomerService...er_Rights.html

That said, sometimes sh!t happens and there is not much the airline can do. If they did what was possible and feasible then its upto your personal ethics to ask for more. The legislation aims to educate the carriers that pretty much tell the customer 'go suck an egg' when things go bad.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Perhaps the OP would have preferred it if the captain had just ignored the warning and chanced it across the Atlantic?
Yep, OP didn't seem to have any out of pocket expenses and didn't crash into the Atlantic with hundreds of other people, all meeting an untimely demise, so on balance I'd say it was quite a good result and probably wouldn't go seeking compensation...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Don't be rude.

I was simply asking a question. I was not "demanding" compensation. Someone brought to my attention that I possible should have been offered compensation, and so I was asking the forum whether that was, in fact, correct.

So, please do not make snide comments simply because one asks a question.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Yep, OP didn't seem to have any out of pocket expenses and didn't crash into the Atlantic with hundreds of other people, all meeting an untimely demise, so on balance I'd say it was quite a good result and probably wouldn't go seeking compensation...
I would say the same thing to you that I said to Rambuster. Don't be so snide and sarcastic.

Why is it that this FlyerTalk forum has become such a rude, insulting place?

I did not say I would be seeking compensation. I simply asked a question about protocol and procedure.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Complain using this form: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Feedb...dbackType=FBCA and see what they respond. If you don't like what you hear, raise it with the LBA (Germanys FAA) here and see what they say: http://www.lba.de/EN/CustomerService...er_Rights.html

That said, sometimes sh!t happens and there is not much the airline can do. If they did what was possible and feasible then its upto your personal ethics to ask for more. The legislation aims to educate the carriers that pretty much tell the customer 'go suck an egg' when things go bad.

Thank you, Oliver2002. I am not particularly worried about the compensation, it was simply a question to help me understand should I experience anything similar in the future.

I agree. Sh!t happens, and quite honestly, althought it meant I missed my connection in EWR to PDX, CO were very good in reaccommodating me to a later flight without penalty, and so I wasn't really that "put out" by it all.

I'm sure the airline couldn't have forseen the MX problem, and so I think they made the right decision to turn back. I would rather they did that, personally, even if it meant a forced overnight, than continue with the flight. I'm sure the pilots do not make these decisions lightly.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Don't be rude.

I was simply asking a question. I was not "demanding" compensation. Someone brought to my attention that I possible should have been offered compensation, and so I was asking the forum whether that was, in fact, correct.

So, please do not make snide comments simply because one asks a question.
I'll make a note to post a reply to your liking next time.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree with the others, it would be way beyond reasonable/ethics to ask for compensation in this case; LH did what was expected and did accommodate you on the nxt available flight and paid for your hotel and meal.

You probably received miles for the new LH flight as I class is unlikely to have been available for rebooking.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I'll make a note to post a reply to your liking next time.

Excellent. That would be nice.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I was on LH412 on Thursday - MUC-EWR. We took off on time, but 2 hours into the flight, the Captain advised us that there was a technical problem with the computer that calcualtes the fuel usage anbd we were returning to MUC.

I was reaccommodated onto a flight via FRA the next day, and given a hotel voucher which included a buffet dinner and shuttle to/from the hotel.

I was travelling on a Business Class award ticket.

Was I supposed to be offered compensation because of the mechanical failure? I was not offered anything at the airport by the agent who re-ticketed me.

Psst. You should be grateful that LH was even willing to fly you back. Don't you know, you greedy Americans and your gratuitous demands for compensation.

To think that a airline should be required to take care of its passengers in the event of IRROPs. What a stupid concept.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colpuck
Psst. You should be grateful that LH was even willing to fly you back. Don't you know, you greedy Americans and your gratuitous demands for compensation.

To think that a airline should be required to take care of its passengers in the event of IRROPs. What a stupid concept.
Oh, dear Lord.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Oh, dear Lord.
At your service.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:16 am

What about giving him an answer to his Question, without commenting the case! ^
If he would be interested in your opinion he would have asked you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.