Austrian Airlines

Old Jan 25, 12, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Austrian Airlines

Does anyone have experience with Austrian Airlines Business Class?
I am flying from ZRH to JFK with choice of Swiss or Austrian.
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:28 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
vailskier, welcome to FlyerTalk and let's see if the Miles and More forum readers can help here. I'll move the thread there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by vailskier View Post
Does anyone have experience with Austrian Airlines Business Class?
I am flying from ZRH to JFK with choice of Swiss or Austrian.
I've only experienced Austrian's Euro Business Class but if you research the subject in the M&M Forum I think you'll find that there is an almost unanimous preference for Swiss J Class TATL.
Old Jan 26, 12, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
If you're flying ZRH-JFK, the LX flight will be direct whereas OS would route a bit out of the way.

LX has truly lie flat J seats whereas OS does not.
Old Jan 26, 12, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
If you're flying ZRH-JFK, the LX flight will be direct whereas OS would route a bit out of the way.

LX has truly lie flat J seats whereas OS does not.
Clearly, for long-haul flights, choose LX over OS.

For European flights, I prefer OS over LX, mostly for the food, but international, seat / IFE does make it up more than twice for the less good food on LX compared to OS. Now, for a day flight where I can provide my own IFE, and if OS is time-wise matching my schedule, I still might pick them. Because their C food is on a level that other carriers don't even provide in F. But seats/IFE is just horrible on OS, even worse than on LH!
Old Jan 26, 12, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LX has a nicer hard product.

OS is a draw for soft product and has better catering.

Personally I would choose whichever flight is direct given that JFK is a fairly short flight overall.

If departing from Vienna OS.

From Zurich/GVA LX.

If lounges are a big deal to you LX has nicer and less crowded lounges in ZRH than OS does in VIE.
Old Jan 26, 12, 5:24 am

Programs: LH SEN
I asume you depart from VIE so i would choose LX for VIE-ZRH-JFK - LX has also better seats within Europe so i wouldn't use OS for the VIE-ZRH leg.
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:09 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
I have flow Austrian in C quite a number of times longhaul and short haul.

There seats as pointed out are pretty antiquated and I find them no more no less comfortable than LH seats. They are not lie flat and not great for sleeping in. They dont however give you much time to sleep if you want to partake of the entire foody experience which really is excellent including the floppy hatted chef in whites. Coffee service is really good; big frothy viennese coffees. IFE is poor. I guess it depends on price at the end of the day: If no diofferent choose swiss for the seats; if Austrian cheaper by a couple of hundred i would go with them.
Old Jan 27, 12, 4:46 am

Programs: LX SEN
Food is outstanding in OS C. This is in my opinion he only argument that would speak for OS. Seat, IFE, aircraft is much much better on LX. I also prefer ZRH over VIE.
Old May 11, 14, 3:15 pm

Seat Assignment Problems with Austrian

I bought a United code share Ticket. The flight is from VIE to ORD. The miles I will get & flight numbers on the ticket are United. I can't get seat assignments from anyone United says call Austrian & Austrian says talk to United.

I sent Austrian an email but they haven't answered. Has anyone experienced this & could possibly give me advice. If I posted in the wrong forum ai apologize and would like to know where to post. Thanks Anne
Old May 11, 14, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annestrauss View Post
I bought a United code share Ticket. The flight is from VIE to ORD. The miles I will get & flight numbers on the ticket are United. I can't get seat assignments from anyone United says call Austrian & Austrian says talk to United.

I sent Austrian an email but they haven't answered. Has anyone experienced this & could possibly give me advice. If I posted in the wrong forum ai apologize and would like to know where to post. Thanks Anne
i have had this challenge before with code shares- really UA should be able to do it- as it is a codeshare. Alternatively make sure to go to OLCI as early as you can and you should be able to get a good seat.

Search this Thread