Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SN starts NYC ops, eff 01JUN2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Cedos
Do you find 1600EUR-1900EUR fares on a regular basis (i.e. outside sales period of Xmas and Easter)? It seems to me that 2100EUR is pretty similar to a Z fare via FRA.
I'd have to check exactly what I've been paying, but I think my east coast flights are usually under 2000EUR. You might be right though, and I may have found a disproportionate number of 'lucky fares'.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Cedos
It is a nice service but I am really not convinced by the timing.

A later departure would be much more convenient for business traffic. You waste almost a day going there (unless you have afternoon meeting in JFK but you are really counting on no delay) and an arrival in BRU at 6AM is too early and you end up in your office at 8AM with a very bad night of sleep. Also, all NA flights leave early from BRU. I am convinced a 3PM departure from BRU and a 10PM departure from JFK would be better.
Maybe those were the only slots they could get? I personally like the morning departure from BRU as it allows a "full" post-lunch afternoon at the office. In fact I wish it were even earlier as there not that many EUR-NYC options that get there early enough.

Also, even though someone here said this flight is not meant for connecting traffic, I beg to differ. SN is trying to place itself as a major player in Africa and I am pretty sure they are counting on some USA-Africa and v.v. traffic for this. Oh, just look at this: http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en_u...r/Default.aspx
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by trouble_
Hum. A horrible thought about this route struck me as I was making my way out of the A terminal last night: Brussels as a transit airport.

Imagine you arrive from somewhere in Europe at gate A5x and need to connect to the NYC flight at B0x (assuming they'll put it with the other North America bound flights at that end of the B terminal - if they put it at B4x, you're really in for a treat) - that's nearly a half hour walk without security checkpoint. All the way through the A pier, a misconfigured pair of escalators if you don't know to take the lift, past security and through the endless tunnel packed with people blocking the moving carpets, up three flights of misconfigured escalators (again, assuming you don't know to take the lift) and then the most boring corridor in the world to the B terminal.

I can see Brussels "working" as a transit airport if you're going from A to T (Africa), but A to B or vice versa makes Frankfurt or Heathrow look good. Unless they arrange frequent bus service from the far end of A to the middle of B? There's a security checkpoint in the "dead tunnel" on the B arrivals level, but I don't think I've ever seen it operate? Does anyone know how they will make this work? Or will transit passengers be advised to be in good shape for a long hike?

(I've been saying since they built it, that whoever decided that putting the A terminal where it is was a good idea, should be made to walk that tunnel for all eternity. If they were smart, they'd have built it where the control tower is, on the other side of the airfield, and furnished it with check-in, baggage handling and passport control and a train station. Not in the middle of the airfield not connected to anything. Come to think of it, the endless tunnel often feels like an afterthought. Did they even consider the possibility that people might want to get in to the building?)
No need to worry, the JFK flights will leave from the T (=A) terminal aswell
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by nomad1974
Also, even though someone here said this flight is not meant for connecting traffic, I beg to differ. SN is trying to place itself as a major player in Africa and I am pretty sure they are counting on some USA-Africa and v.v. traffic for this. Oh, just look at this: http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en_u...r/Default.aspx
Note that I clearly said 'rest of Europe', LH is clearly picking SN to be their Africa focussed subsidiary ^
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that I clearly said 'rest of Europe', LH is clearly picking SN to be their Africa focussed subsidiary ^
Yeah, fair enough and I agree, the LH Group is trying to find the most profitable niches for all its carriers. Getting SN to be "Africa-focused" makes sense, also given the large African communities in Belgium and France, so they would definitely have more point-to-point traffic than, say LH from FRA would, in addition to the connecting traffic.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by HighInTheSky87
No need to worry, the JFK flights will leave from the T (=A) terminal aswell
Really? I thought only Africa flights left there. Though the 10AMish departure does make it possible to leave from T-gates. They only turn them into A-gates in the afternoon. Do you have a source for this, or are you just guessing?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:15 am

Really? I thought only Africa flights left there. Though the 10AMish departure does make it possible to leave from T-gates. They only turn them into A-gates in the afternoon. Do you have a source for this, or are you just guessing?
I have a source, the press release:

In New York JFK, Brussels Airlines will be operating from Terminal 1. In Brussels Airport, the plane departs from the Brussels Airlines exclusive long-haul terminal (“T zone”).

http://corporate.brusselsairlines.co...s/Default.aspx

No guessing from my part
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by HighInTheSky87
I have a source, the press release:

In New York JFK, Brussels Airlines will be operating from Terminal 1. In Brussels Airport, the plane departs from the Brussels Airlines exclusive long-haul terminal (“T zone”).

http://corporate.brusselsairlines.co...s/Default.aspx

No guessing from my part
Ah. Missed that bit. Thanks for the pointer. This is good to know. Also amusing to note that the couple of gates at the end of the Schengen-terminal have now been dubbed an "exclusive long-haul terminal". I guess they're referring to the hike to get there as much as the destinations departing there.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:08 am

I am thinking of booking a J award on it, but I will absolutely need a shower before the flight. Which lounge will they use in JFK?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by echino
I am thinking of booking a J award on it, but I will absolutely need a shower before the flight. Which lounge will they use in JFK?
The LH Senator & Business lounge in Terminal 1, after security, near gate 3. Showers are available in both the SEN and the C lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
I'd have to check exactly what I've been paying, but I think my east coast flights are usually under 2000EUR. You might be right though, and I may have found a disproportionate number of 'lucky fares'.
I agree, the Z fare is too expensive on SN. My second big worry is that there is a limited number of connections out of JFK on UA. Still easier to fly to Washington or Newark and get a connection from there on United.

Last edited by Ducatibiker; Jan 5, 2012 at 1:10 am
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
New cabins are being presented at Brussels Airlines:

http://twitpic.com/85k3dd
http://instagr.am/p/f9H7R/

Thanks to Bart Lapers on Twitter
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:33 am
Original Poster

1.200 tickets sold for the flight in the first 24 hours after launch of SN501/2

More info about the new longhaul on SN's site: http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en_b...xperience.aspx
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:04 am

So, the same seats as LX, confirmed. Great news! ^

Anybody know the timeframe for rolling these out across the entire fleet?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad1974
So, the same seats as LX, confirmed. Great news! ^

Anybody know the timeframe for rolling these out across the entire fleet?
All A330's (5x A330-300 & 2x A330-200) will have the new cabins at the end of this year. I think that the 5 A333's will be done before the summerseason while the remaining 2 A332's will get their upgrade at the end of the year, after passing the busy summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.