Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Senator sues LH because of increased "miles prices"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If LH were to make a decision based on such a thing, no skin off my back although I could see how it could be frustrating for those who have made efforts to get such representation more reliably.

I'd rather have a consumer-led FT more independent from the corporate influence of travel service providers than an FT that tries to "fix" who knows what in order to get corporate representation on board or otherwise coddle to it for who knows what.
I doubt we 'fix' things at FT to suit LH so that we gain favours of any kind. LH learned of the LPJ promo and the implications (a few dozen CessnaHONs) via FT

However I must admit that I refrain from posting everything on FT or VFT I hear and see because it ends up in some blog, tweet or mydealz.de
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I doubt we 'fix' things at FT to suit LH so that we gain favours of any kind.
Some things occur even without intention of organization targets, and some times those outcomes take place even without the "targeting" organization having explicit intent to control the dynamics.

LH learned of the LPJ promo and the implications (a few dozen CessnaHONs) via FT

However I must admit that I refrain from posting everything on FT or VFT I hear and see because it ends up in some blog, tweet or mydealz.de
Increased corporate representation on FT is a sign of FT's success but also may be a sign of risk that the "message" becomes increasingly "corporate" even if that may not be an explicit intention of one or even both parties. Part of the consequence of such shift is that more material will go deeper underground than is already the case. Another consequence is that those who don't tow an official line or cower in front of it sufficiently may face additional risk.

This pursuit of litigation is unfortunately not going to change a thing in that regard. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of the involved parties gets something tossed their way by LH to keep the settlement details underground as much as possible.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 25, 2011 at 8:05 am
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Increased corporate representation on FT is a sign of FT's success but also a sign of risk that the message becomes increasingly "corporate" even if that is not the intention of one or even both parties.
Hmm.... valid point. I suppose if we had representation from LH there would be a balanced discussion and not every controversial topic would be fought out between the 'cheerleaders' and 'bashers'. OTOH if you are not (positively or negatively) passionate about a topic you don't get inspired to post about it. If this forum would have been a LH prayer group Randy would have merged it with OEFFP years ago

Representation on FT is far from the best thing since sliced bread: LH Relate often just stated that things are what they are and Roger is getting nowhere to get a response from LX's lurker about the O in OPC for the UK

Part of the consequence of that is that more material will go deeper underground than is already the case.
I doubt there is so much material getting generated nowadays. FT came along during a time when loyalty companies and travel providers were migrating their sales channel to the web and the associated lapses were profited from big time, including the pricing mistakes associated from wrongly filed fares, currency conversions etc. Gary Leff blogged about the big mistake fares yesterday which I read during my commute home and was reminiscing about: these kind of deals will become rarer as travel providers will monitor all possible channels and various repeaters will make sure that either the 'harmed' are quickly informed or the 'benefactors' are too large in number for the 'harmed' to just let go and adjust the damages under 'lessons learned' or 'goodwill'.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: LH FTL
Okay, call me stupid, but I really don't get the point.....

This guy sues LH because M&M changed (= raised) the price (in the virtual currency 'miles') of awards and not give advanced enough notice of doing so.

Well, I hate to tell you all, but the last time the gas station raised their prices, they did not give me a lot of notice, either. Actually, they did not communicate that at all with me, they just changed it....!! Can I sue them for having done that (multiple times over the last year)????

I do understand that we all are unhappy about this 'price' raise, but please, do we really believe that a company raising a price is a reason to go to court?????

Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by moeve
..I still don't think LH has anything to worry about with this move.
I grudgingly agree. They should have chosen a place with a less polarized legal system.

I mean what can they hope for in post-Kohl Germany where the system frees LH from strike related delays of their customers and allows travel organizers calling pretty much any decent offer an "error fare" post factum and getting away with it .

Even the crippled Swiss system is lightyears ahead.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by captainiglo
..This guy sues LH because M&M changed (= raised) the price (in the virtual currency 'miles') of awards and not give advanced enough notice of doing so...
To adhere to this logic: there is actually never ever any real reason for the 'cost' in miles going up as the award scheme is a percentage of the spending on flights and hence if flying gets more expensive miles would do so.

So raising the percentage is much like your favourite petrol station rose its gas price from 1 liter per liter to 2 liters per liter.

All these increases are almost exclusively based on erroneous speculations of the management with the awareness that a crony-legal system will back whatever scummy excuse they come up with by providing some weak law and policy washing to make it smell more legalese .
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captainiglo
Okay, call me stupid, but I really don't get the point.....

This guy sues LH because M&M changed (= raised) the price (in the virtual currency 'miles') of awards and not give advanced enough notice of doing so.

Well, I hate to tell you all, but the last time the gas station raised their prices, they did not give me a lot of notice, either. Actually, they did not communicate that at all with me, they just changed it....!! Can I sue them for having done that (multiple times over the last year)????

I do understand that we all are unhappy about this 'price' raise, but please, do we really believe that a company raising a price is a reason to go to court?????

Well, I would never call an FTer stupid.

The M&M program has Terms and Conditions including a notice period.

While I cannot discuss with my gas station the price per litre of fuel, the garage associated with it services our corporate automobiles and has a contract per vehicle/per km- and that is renewed on a yearly basis. So- they cannot change this contract for example without following the written notice period.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH is taking a serious risk (like businesses do, see my comment above) with the changes they did this year, both on the product, pricing/marketing as well as the FFP side. I do see the reasons behind it and am curious to see if they can pull it off during a weakening world economy while taking major deliveries of aircraft. The recent discount offers do show that the market is getting difficult and todays announcement of cutting costs and investments comes as no surprise.
Thanks Oliver for such a detailed response. As you have said LH is taking a serious risk, and I really cannot see the reasons behind it in the current trading and competitive enviornment.

Just as LH has a duty to their shareholders- anyone who is travelling for their company for work has a duty to ensure their costs are kept to the minimum possible- and the elimination for example of the D booking guarantee for HON and C booking guarantee for SEN is not assisting this situation.

True, suppliers need to adjust- and it is also the responsibility of the customer to ensure the supplier does not adjust too much- or the responsibility of the customer to actively search out other suppliers.

Want to increase margins and differentiate- driving higher ROI, EBITDA, or ROE? I am all for this- however it really does begin to rise the question for me if Lufthansa knows what they are strategically doing to attract premium passengers when the response to Googling the word Lufthansa in Europe is : "Lufthansa ® - Cheap flights from 99€". Combine this with the NEK business product which is brutally uncomforable- and it begs the question- "commodity" or "differentiation"? If "differentiation" why on earth have the first words communicated on Google as this? Cheap flights? Really?

Lufthansa needs to get more competitive with their product- and this includes their frequent flyer program.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I can also imagine, that LH will think twice of supporting an event like the StarMegaDo again, if some of the participants sue them as a "thank you".

The "don't rock the boat!" argument is one of the less appealing I've seen in this thread dominated by Lufthansa's praetorian guard.

To suggest that the opportunity to attend a marketing shindig is in any way a quid quo pro for the opportunistic devaluation of a currency system is absurd.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The redemption table was adjusted for accounting purposes just like AF did a year before and BA is doing now.
Accounting purposes sounds as if this was mandated externally. The redemption levels were raised to make more money. BA has decreased levels on many routes, increased on others.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The "don't rock the boat!" argument is one of the less appealing I've seen in this thread dominated by Lufthansa's praetorian guard.

To suggest that the opportunity to attend a marketing shindig is in any way a quid quo pro for the opportunistic devaluation of a currency system is absurd.
Patently absurd to someone - like me - who lost interest in LH as a company and institutions and to whom operational insights. announcements, management reasoning, and IT functionality are hence as vain, void, and empty as the rites of a long extinct cult.

I wouldn't trade a 1000 miles for more knowledge about and around LH.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: M&M Sen
Originally Posted by synd
after all the LH "enhancements" in the last 2 years, ^ ^ ^ for that SEN! Even though I am not sure the trial will get him anywhere, at least the medias are publishing how is LH treating its FF's! Now I just wished someone could send them a detailed list of everything that was taken away:

- Lounge access: used to be you could get into a lounge even if not flying *A.

- expiry of e-vouchers: looking at our americans counterparts, i know not the same market, they get 12X more long haul upgrs than we do, and the only advantage we had for our miserable 1 upgrade every 2 years was that they did not expire! Now taken away!

- increase of mileages cost for upg in Z.

- blocking of O avaibility for *A: not affecting SEN's, but still impacting the *A FF's....

- miles cost increase of course

- cabin luggage on board the flights, we used to be able to take 2 bags without any issues most of the time, and without any weight concerns. it does impacts me when I am travelling CDG-FRA-long haul, as just my work bag is more than 8kg....

- and the horrible CS service center that LH has in place, but that has been around forever, or since I have been flying with them.

and i am sure i am forgetting some...
Completely agree. I see no benefit to accumulating 100k miles to make senator with lufthansa when I can get the exact same privileges & more by accumulating 20k - 50k miles to make gold on another pgm. It ought to be renamed miles & less.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 4:34 am

I can safely say Eggendorfer is not our 'hero' for 'many' of us as mentioned in the article.
Eggendorfer is not my hero, but I think it is a very good thing that someone is suing LH about this. I have myself seen my millions of M&M miles devalued with the introduction of the new redemption scheme; I complained to LH and asked for compensation, but no willingness at all. It is very clear I cannot spend millions of miles within a few months.

What I am really angry about is the fact that LH did not only change redemption levels for future miles earned, but also for existing mileage balances. This is a retroactive reduction of a "discount" (which miles basically represent). Interestingly, also for miles that I earnt through non-flight transactions or even through direct purchase against cash.

The solution would have been simple. When Delta raised their US domestic mileage levels in the 1990s (eg economy RT from 20K to 25K) they were forced in a lawsuit to retain old program miles and redemption charts next to new program miles and redemption charts. For more than ten years my account statement showed both balances. LH should have gone this way right away if they truly appreciated their customers.

I am sure Eggendorfer would win his lawsuit; LH will try to settle before a final verdict, but any such settlement will trigger another flood of lawsuits from other members who understand that Eggendorfer got what he was looking for.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Nov 26, 2011 at 4:49 am
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Accounting purposes sounds as if this was mandated externally. The redemption levels were raised to make more money. BA has decreased levels on many routes, increased on others.
It is indeed not entirely clear that the BA changes are accounting-related.

There was a clear example of BA wanting to decrease its balance sheet liability with respect to miles in the past when reporting requirements changed a few years back. They did not increase burn levels. Instead they let you book for a short period all awards at 50% of their normal level. Now that is an idea for LH to ponder.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:36 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

It was only a sidenote, not the whole argument - in so far this is taken a bit out of context. At least I know, that this is marketing and you only get the honey on such events.

From my view, the announcement of the higher number of award miles necessary to use for an award was sufficent. Within the T&C of M&M is no paragraph that says, that the announcements have to made a certain period of time in advance. Aside that, prior to January 1st, 2004 the same number of miles were necessary for the most awards like it is now. And like everything else, prices could rise and fall and have done so in the past and for the most FFPs.

One accecpts the t&c if one joins M&M. If you are not satisfied with what you get, simply leave the programm as you will not fly an airline, you are not satisfied with again or would not return a hotel, which does not treats you well. But to sue LH is in my eyes not the way to deal with a situation like this.

LH does not promise you anything concrete like fly five times C FRA - LAX and get a free flight. In so far you could not expect to need the same number of miles for the lifetime of the programm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.