Mainland US-Hawaii C award rip-off?

Old Oct 31, 11, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL**, HH Diamond
Mainland US-Hawaii C award rip-off?

Has anyone ever succeeded in getting a C award from mainland US to Hawaii? I've made a booking 2 days ago, for 70k miles as shown in the award chart, DFW-SFO-HNL-SFO. Today I've got a call from M&M saying UA came back to them claiming that for flights between US mainland and Hawaii even on 2-cabin equipment the F mileage level applies instead of C. When I go to checkmytrip it really does say DFW-SFO Bussiness (I), SFO-HNL First (O), HNL-SFO First (O). What gives? Should they remove the C mileage level from the award chart for US-Hawaii flights as C awards are not possible or is this all just non-sense?
Old Oct 31, 11, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk View Post
Has anyone ever succeeded in getting a C award from mainland US to Hawaii? I've made a booking 2 days ago, for 70k miles as shown in the award chart, DFW-SFO-HNL-SFO. Today I've got a call from M&M saying UA came back to them claiming that for flights between US mainland and Hawaii even on 2-cabin equipment the F mileage level applies instead of C. When I go to checkmytrip it really does say DFW-SFO Bussiness (I), SFO-HNL First (O), HNL-SFO First (O). What gives? Should they remove the C mileage level from the award chart for US-Hawaii flights as C awards are not possible or is this all just non-sense?
This is one of the beautiful things when flying in the US. Most US domestic flights are two cabin flights, with F and Y. The F is pretty bad (or insert your favorite adjective here), but it is considered F class fare, so F class mileage redemptions are charged.
Old Oct 31, 11, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk View Post
Should they remove the C mileage level from the award chart for US-Hawaii flights as C awards are not possible or is this all just non-sense?
Mainland US to Hawaii is possible in "I" on a few CO flights (EWR, IAH). Availability might be an other issue.
Old Oct 31, 11, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by red star View Post
Mainland US to Hawaii is possible in "I" on a few CO flights (EWR, IAH). Availability might be an other issue.
To some, CO Business Class (called BusinessFirst) from EWR, IAH and now DEN is the best service to HNL.
Old Oct 31, 11, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Also the two CO flights that are now being operated by CO equipment from SFO 72 and 73 seem to have Business class as the front cabin according to ANA website. It also seems that some of the LAX to HNL flights, particulary those with "International flight numbers" offer business class redemption. They are usually the 9XX number flights. But if the CO 72/73 is a good connection for you and you can go on the dates that it has the 767 then you'll be best off as it will at least be a BF seat (much more comfortable than any of the usual domestic F offerings on UA).
Old Oct 31, 11, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL**, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
But if the CO 72/73 is a good connection for you and you can go on the dates that it has the 767 then you'll be best off as it will at least be a BF seat (much more comfortable than any of the usual domestic F offerings on UA).
talk about irony... Due to lack of availability, I'm on 72/73, on 767 both segments, but in Y...
Old Nov 1, 11, 1:05 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Is there any *A member other than AC flying a big jet (747 or 777) to Hawaii with proper long haul business class service and seating?
Old Nov 1, 11, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
Is there any *A member other than AC flying a big jet (747 or 777) to Hawaii with proper long haul business class service and seating?
Best *A to Hawaii from North America is Continental, specifically from IAH/DEN/EWR (764, older international-config business recliner, will be lie-flat sometime in 2012).
AC uses older configuration for Hawaii flights (763 but domestic-like configuartion - http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fl...rxm.html?src=o).

Last edited by okrogius; Nov 1, 11 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 1, 11, 3:31 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Our FT member sbm12 published on his blog the new United award buckets.

According to the info, and how I read it, it should be possible to get to Hawaii in F on a Business redemption "I" bucket with a 2 class aircraft

Maybe not yet properly reflected in systems?

GBM
Old Nov 1, 11, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by okrogius View Post
Best *A to Hawaii from North America is Continental, specifically from IAH/DEN/EWR (763, older international-config business recliner, will be lie-flat sometime in 2012).
AC uses older configuration for Hawaii flights (763 but domestic configuartion - http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fl...rxm.html?src=o).
CO flies 764s, not 763s, and it is their internatinal config, not a domestic config, though it is an older seat and IFE system.
Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
Our FT member sbm12 published on his blog the new United award buckets.

According to the info, and how I read it, it should be possible to get to Hawaii in F on a Business redemption "I" bucket with a 2 class aircraft

Maybe not yet properly reflected in systems?
Correct that CO biz/first seats should book into I for awards. This is the current setup and has been since CO joined *A.

The chart you linked to there is the fare buckets for the new, combined UA/CO. Some of the changes it identifies are in place now while others are not yet in production. So UA metal on a 2-cabin aircraft to Hawaii is still booking O while CO metal is I. That should align soon.
Old Nov 4, 11, 2:34 am

Programs: LH Miles&More FTL, AB TopBonus Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
So is it possible on AC to get a award tickets to Hawaii in C after christmas/new years? I was looking at the use and 70K seems good in C where as the Caribbean is 60K in C. Of course I think i would have to go thru the call center to do this since I can't look for it online. I would be exiting from YYZ.
Old Nov 6, 11, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by volta View Post
This is one of the beautiful things when flying in the US. Most US domestic flights are two cabin flights, with F and Y. The F is pretty bad (or insert your favorite adjective here), but it is considered F class fare, so F class mileage redemptions are charged.
To my knowledge and experience, the rule is that M&M awards on two class aircraft within mainland US (no matter which StarAlliance airline) are charged at Y and C mileage, even if the cabins are called "Y" and "F" by the operating airline. However, on two class aircraft between mainland US and Hawaii, awards are generally charged at Y and F mileage, except if the operating airline calls the front cabin "business" (in which case C-award levels apply).

Used to be different many years ago (when also Hawaii was consistently charged at Y/C).
Old Nov 7, 11, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by volta View Post
Luckily -- to give a shout-out to UA .... their award structure differentiates between F on a 2-class and 3-class aircraft.
Old Nov 12, 11, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
There is no intl-F flying form US48 to Hawaii. All *A is domestic F, most of them even on older planes. Best seat/service I have encountered is on CO C from IAD, but have not flown this since CO/UA merger
Old Nov 12, 11, 11:05 am

In case you were considering the west coast as a connection (ie: LAX), use caution as UA/CO have deployed 737 aircraft <rolls eyes> to HNL. LAX is twice a day on the small birds.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: