FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   LH planning to deploy A380 between MUC and NYC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1262074-lh-planning-deploy-a380-between-muc-nyc.html)

German-FLyer Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

LH planning to deploy A380 between MUC and NYC

Not sure whether this was posted already (a quick search didn't yield any results...). Spiegel Online is reporting, that LH will start using the A380 between MUC and NYC (sorry, only in German):

"Zudem werde ab Dezember erstmalig ein Airbus A380 auf der Strecke von München nach New York eingesetzt."

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...787742,00.html

Please feel free to delete this thread if this is being discussed elsewhere...

ralfkrippner Sep 22, 2011 7:26 am

A real surprise!

Speculation in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-changes.html is that Dec. is Dec 2012 . But still a big surprise to me...

FTMucGer Sep 22, 2011 7:45 am

Airliners.de lists it as this year.

supermasterphil Sep 22, 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by FTMucGer (Post 17153541)
Airliners.de lists it as this year.

Okay, over there it sounds like this will only happen for ONE week and will not be a longer deployment of the A380 out of MUC.

hugoalone Sep 23, 2011 5:42 am

It seems also that this weekly event is only because Emirates starts there regular A380 flight on January 1st.
So LH can name them to be the first airline with regular A380 flights from Munich

InfiniteCycle Sep 23, 2011 6:16 am

I always thought there was some sort of agreement with SQ about the a380 and FRA too. Can anyone confirm?

ralfkrippner Sep 23, 2011 6:18 am

So for a week only. Hmmm. :-(

Maybe the FRA-MUC ferry flight can be booked as a regular LH flight...

Meilensammler Sep 23, 2011 6:33 am

The A380 will fly MUC-JFK from Dec 06th - 12th. There will be quite some marketing for this, but no special offers so far (this might change if it turns out that the capacity, especially in ECO, is to large for this route).

flyGreg Sep 23, 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle (Post 17159420)
I always thought there was some sort of agreement with SQ about the a380 and FRA too. Can anyone confirm?

Nothing official but that's what I was told onboard by the SQ purser. But come 15/Jan SQ is A380 SIN-FRA-JFK. LH has a superiority complex, needing to flying the A380 first on every route ...

snic Sep 23, 2011 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Meilensammler (Post 17159488)
The A380 will fly MUC-JFK from Dec 06th - 12th. There will be quite some marketing for this, but no special offers so far (this might change if it turns out that the capacity, especially in ECO, is to large for this route).

Of course I'm flying JFK-MUC the week after that :rolleyes: .

TWAB747nomore Sep 23, 2011 4:01 pm

interesting

N830MH Sep 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner (Post 17159431)
So for a week only. Hmmm. :-(

Maybe the FRA-MUC ferry flight can be booked as a regular LH flight...

Yes, LH will have a ferried flight from FRA-MUC before LH start service MUC-JFK during Christmas shopping trip.

oliver2002 Apr 11, 2012 4:25 am

EK has pulled their A380 service off MUC starting tomorrow (supposedly only for a week) to use the aircraft on the LHR route, should create some oversold situations...

LH had planned to deploy the A380 ex MUC to JFK again this summer but the wing crack check and low demand has killed that plan.

supermasterphil Apr 11, 2012 4:42 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 18371713)
EK has pulled their A380 service off MUC starting tomorrow (supposedly only for a week) to use the aircraft on the LHR route, should create some oversold situations...

LH had planned to deploy the A380 ex MUC to JFK again this summer but the wing crack check and low demand has killed that plan.

Interesting:
Two conclusions here:

1) MUC is the weakest A380 route for EK

2) MUC - JFK could take the A380 from time to time, meaning it is the strongest or one of the strongest interconti routes out of MUC. Or am I missing something here? Sure this is promotion but those "MUC-NYC" A380 flights are a big money loser?
I'd love to see the 747-8 in MUC.... At some point, LH has to figure out anyway what to do with intercontinental routes out of MUC which are too strong for only one A346 a day...

How long will the wing crack effect LH? I mean with only 8 A380s around, it can't take too long, can it?

moeve Apr 11, 2012 5:10 am

One of the whales will also be heading back to the FRA - MIA route for the winter season. This has been pulled for the summer when the demand isn't quite as high.