Connecting in Brussels [merged BRU connection Q&A]

Reply

Old Aug 20, 11, 7:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London/Geneva/Budapest
Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 91
Connecting in Brussels [merged BRU connection Q&A]

Good afternoon!

I am looking for a flight from Geneva to Budapest which allows me to arrive before noon. The only option available at a reasonable price is Brussels Airlines with a connection time in BRU of 50 minutes. Travel class is economy, I am a Senator if that helps.

How likely am I to make it? How about my checked in luggage?

Thank you so much for your help!
Christian K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 8:16 am
  #2  
ym1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: All around
Programs: M&M, AVIS, HH, GP ...
Posts: 318
As both are in Schengen you will arrive and depart on same place i.e. it can take 1-10 min (depend on the gate) no need to clear security. As per your luggage 50 min (if no delay) will work for you as well.
ym1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 11:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Programs: SPG Plat100, DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum (former CK)
Posts: 1,039
ewe

While we are on the subject. Have a Biz flight on CO connecting to LH from ewr to Bru to fra. I also have a 50 min connection. Any chance here?
JBauer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 12:01 pm
  #4  
LUC
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Temse, Belgium
Programs: Miles&More (Sen), AAdvantage, HH Gold, Marriott Silv, Skymiles, Hertz 5 S Gold, Accor Silver,
Posts: 211
You will arrive in terminal B, will go through passport control, then via (a long )tunnel to terminal A, go through security.
50 minutes normally should be OK
LUC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 1:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Posts: 2,471
Originally Posted by LUC View Post
You will arrive in terminal B, will go through passport control, then via (a long )tunnel to terminal A, go through security.
50 minutes normally should be OK
Just to add that there is a C-class priority lane for security - right hand side.
MichielR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 11, 1:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Programs: SPG Plat100, DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum (former CK)
Posts: 1,039
thanks

That's very helpful. Thx
JBauer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 11, 1:54 am
  #7  
ym1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: All around
Programs: M&M, AVIS, HH, GP ...
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by MichielR View Post
Just to add that there is a C-class priority lane for security - right hand side.
The fast lane working just in rush hours (morning till 09:00 and they change it from time to time) so check it not to loss time.
ym1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 11, 7:59 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFO | YEG | YVR
Programs: AC*SE
Posts: 283
SN: LHR > DKR via BRU (55-minute connection)

Flying SN2094 (LHR > BRU) connecting to SN201 (BRU > DKR) this Sunday. SN2094 arrives at 13:20; SN201 departs at 14:15.

A bit worried with the 55-minute connection since I just realized a bus transfer is involved at BRU to get from the B gates to the T gates:

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/com/...m=26088#Africa

Presumably, I also have to re-clear security. Any advice from BRU FTs on whether or not this is doable? If SN2094 is late arriving, any chance I'll get help from SN getting over to the T gates and/or them holding 201 for me? Flying in J if it makes any difference.
sinalet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 11, 8:29 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Posts: 2,471
Originally Posted by sinalet View Post
Flying SN2094 (LHR > BRU) connecting to SN201 (BRU > DKR) this Sunday. SN2094 arrives at 13:20; SN201 departs at 14:15.

A bit worried with the 55-minute connection since I just realized a bus transfer is involved at BRU to get from the B gates to the T gates:

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/com/...m=26088#Africa

Presumably, I also have to re-clear security. Any advice from BRU FTs on whether or not this is doable? If SN2094 is late arriving, any chance I'll get help from SN getting over to the T gates and/or them holding 201 for me? Flying in J if it makes any difference.
I haven't personally done this bus transfer but I come through BRU quite often.

I'd not worry about the 55 minutes in BRU on a Sunday. I'd be more concerned about departing from LHR, where delays are rather the norm.

The bus transfer is to avoid a long walk from B through A to the T gates. You will have another security check: there is one at the middle of the B pier arrivals level and a 'normal' transfer route at the beginning of the B pier, turning right and going up just before the passport control. It will depend on where your arriving flight docks which one is more convenient, but in most cases the one in the middle will be.

The T transfer bus departs next to the non-Schengen bus departures, ground level. The map that you can find through the link you provided will be helfpul.

I know SN sometimes use a shuttle bus for delayed transfer pax (colleagues on intra-EU transfer), so I'd not be surprised if this would happen in case of a delay; but I wouldn't absolutely count on it.
MichielR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 12:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 522
Connection time at BRU (Brussels) 40 minutes. Too short?

I'm flying BCN-BRU on Brussels Airlines Business Class and have a 40 min connection at BRU to BRU-IAD on United Global First.

Is that too tight? Iknow legal is 50 minutes, but if I risked it could I make it at BRU in August?
TIMOS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 1:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles
Posts: 626
I think it is too tight as the flight should arrive at Terminal A.

If you could go up to terminal T and clear immigration from Schengen zone and go take a bus to Terminal B (provided that you do not wait for the bus), it may be possible.

However, extra security check-in counter (where they ask you questions about your luggage and your immigration status) for your US bound flight may close before you manage to get to the Terminal B.

Overall, I think it is too tight.

I know this is not the case for you but if you are coming from the US and transfer to non-schengen countries (pier B transit), you do not need to clear security and I am confident that it is quite possible with 40 minutes.
Atuchan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 2:58 am
  #12  
jez
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 288
Wouldn't do it if I were you. Slightest delay and you're fried. Plus changing terminals will take some time too. Doors of IAD-bound a/c will probably close 15 minutes or so before flight.

If you bought it as one ticket it's probably legal, so if you missed the flight they'll re-book you, but it'll be the next day or through a connection - since there's only one IAD flight a day.

Why not take the flight that gets you into BRU at 8.50am? A bit of extra time and won't have to stress out during till you (don't) make your connection.
jez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 4:11 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 50,377
The good thing is that you will get the fast track lane through passport control given you're in F (F and C get it). That will save you a little time.

I know from experience the earlier BCN-BRU flight is god-awful early (particularly given that even the "airport" hotels in BCN are a good 20+ minutes away by cab), but as others have suggested, it's probably your best bet.
exerda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:11 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 386
Considering you have to switch terminals, I wouldn't recommend it. BRU airport is not that small and security lines can be awful (especially during summer).
nycvisitor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:30 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The World.
Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Posts: 1,212
Originally Posted by jez View Post
Wouldn't do it if I were you. Slightest delay and you're fried. Plus changing terminals will take some time too. Doors of IAD-bound a/c will probably close 15 minutes or so before flight.

If you bought it as one ticket it's probably legal, so if you missed the flight they'll re-book you, but it'll be the next day or through a connection - since there's only one IAD flight a day.

Why not take the flight that gets you into BRU at 8.50am? A bit of extra time and won't have to stress out during till you (don't) make your connection.
I've had intl flights close 20mins prior so that reduces the time to connect even further.
UAL4life is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread