Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Brussels [BRU]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:24 am

Hello All, I'm reading through the thread and it sounds like there's definitely a major difference between a comfortable, uncomfortable, and legal connection in BRU. I think I'm closer to the latter, and I would like your thoughts on the following flights my company has booked for me:

SN3632 CDG-BRU
Arr. 09:40

50 Min

SN501 BRU-JFK
Dep. 10:30
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by gernabae
Hello All, I'm reading through the thread and it sounds like there's definitely a major difference between a comfortable, uncomfortable, and legal connection in BRU. I think I'm closer to the latter, and I would like your thoughts on the following flights my company has booked for me:

SN3632 CDG-BRU
Arr. 09:40

50 Min

SN501 BRU-JFK
Dep. 10:30
Assuming it's on one ticket, it's a fine connection when everything runs smoothly. But if there is a hiccup and you don't make the connection, there is only a direct flight with Delta, 30 mins later. Doubt that SN can/wants to put you on that one. So then you'll have to fly to FRA or MUC, arriving much later in JFK. Routing you through Brussels instead of putting you on a direct flight from Paris seems like a penny smart - pound stupid kind of decision from your company...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:00 am

I figured I would close the loop on my experience.

CDG-BRU went off without a hitch, arrived even few minutes early. Passport control was an unmitigated disaster. Line stretched all the way back to the escalators and then looped back around almost halfway back towards the desks. Was really terrible. Easily took 90 minutes just to clear. Missed my flight of course and worked on rebooking with SN.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
A quick report on my lounge experience in BRU a few days ago. Flying Africa-BRU-LHR, I landed in BRU (T-gates) and went to THE SUITE lounge in B-gates. I asked about a shower and she said there are no showers in THE SUITE, and they normally send passengers who want showers to the adjacent Diamond lounge for the shower, but the shower facility in that lounge was under construction, so no showers offered at all. The only place to get a shower was to go to THE LOFT lounge in A-gates, passing immigration to enter Schengen.

I had time so did that, with no wait at immigration going from B-gates to A-gates. Lounge staff let me in but wasn't thrilled to have me because I was departing from B-gates. Good shower food/drink in THE LOFT. However, in going back from A-gate to B-gates, you have to clear immigration (leaving Schengen) and the wait was about 40 minutes for non-EU passports, with no priority lane possible. I almost missed last call for my flight to LHR from the B terminal. If I would have known (or read this thread) I would NOT have left the B-gates area just to shower in A-gates area and return to B-gates.
HarbourGent likes this.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Oct 15, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by gernabae
I figured I would close the loop on my experience.

CDG-BRU went off without a hitch, arrived even few minutes early. Passport control was an unmitigated disaster. Line stretched all the way back to the escalators and then looped back around almost halfway back towards the desks. Was really terrible. Easily took 90 minutes just to clear. Missed my flight of course and worked on rebooking with SN.
Sorry to hear that. Police was working "to the book" resulting in long queues, They are unhappy that the murderer of a policewoman gets an early release (with electronic surveillance, house arrest) after only 10 years in jail.

Last edited by Ghentleman; Oct 17, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:06 pm

I'm currently looking at a ticket that goes LHR-BRU on Brussels Airlines then connected to United from BRU-EWR - connection time of 1 hour and 3 minutes. I wouldn't have a checked bag so I'd just need to get myself to the next gate - would I have to clear security and such again?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
For everyone flying through / into / from BRU at the moment:

there is a strike going on at Aviapartner who are handling luggage for following airlines:

Aegean Airlines, Aer Lingus, Air Baltic, Air Europa, Air Serbia, Air Transat, All Nippon Airways, BMI Regional, British Airways, CSA Czech Airlines, Easyjet, El Al, Ethiopian Airlines, Etihad Airways, FlyEgypt, HOP Airlines, Iberia, KLM, Meridiana Fly, Nouvelair, Onur Air, Pegasus Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, Ryanair, SAS Scandinavian Airlines, Sun Express, TAP Portugal, Transavia, TUIfly, Tunisair, Turkish Airlines, Vueling

You may want to take precautions if so, for example travelling with handluggage only.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by James91
I'm currently looking at a ticket that goes LHR-BRU on Brussels Airlines then connected to United from BRU-EWR - connection time of 1 hour and 3 minutes. I wouldn't have a checked bag so I'd just need to get myself to the next gate - would I have to clear security and such again?
No security/passports, just a plain connection within the same concourse (i.e. B) and perfectly doable even with a slight delay coming from Heathrow.

G
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

No security/passports, just a plain connection within the same concourse (i.e. B) and perfectly doable even with a slight delay coming from Heathrow.

G
I haven’t got B to B transfer experience in BRU, but arrival in B is at the lower level and, going to A at least, involved security last time I did this.

In any case, I would advise a short connection from any flight from LHR to a US bound flight when LHR is always prone to delays and UA will have an additional document check at the gate. I know SN have only one or two flights from LHR so that will put you in a bit of a situation. However, I would have thought that the TATL JV would have similar fares on all LHR-EWR UA/LH/SN options.

If you end up with the SN connection, at the very least monitor the inbound from BRU and consider asking rebooking on a direct flight from LHR if there is likely to be a significant delay.
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by MichielR

I haven’t got B to B transfer experience in BRU, but arrival in B is at the lower level and, going to A at least, involved security last time I did this.
B to A involves security plus passports straight after, A to B just passports (which has been a nightmare at BRU for quite some time now, especially first in the morning).

G
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:31 am

Edit: duplicate post.

G
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:59 am
e20

Programs: United 1K 1MM, HHonor ex-Gold, IC ex-Plat.
Originally Posted by James91
I am afraid that you will need to clear security again but no immigration
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by e20
I am afraid that you will need to clear security again but no immigration
correct, also see
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:51 pm

I paid for a non stop - I can't really be delayed that day if I can help it - thanks all!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:43 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
.......adjacent Diamond lounge for the shower, but the shower facility in that lounge was under construction, so no showers offered at all.
Did the Suite Attendant told you when will the shower refurbishment ends at the Diamond Lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.