Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Brussels [BRU]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
A quick note on Africa connections not covered by any recent posts.

I'm flying IAD-BRU-ACC today, and there is a very long line for the bus from the B gates (US arrivals are there) to the T gates (SN Africa departures). They check passports before you get on the bus. Talking with a guy in line I learned that the long line is very common. Fortunately I have 3hr layover and am now hanging out in the Sunrise (T gates) lounge, which is bland but uncrowded.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Hello, I am flying PDX-EWR-BRU-BUD on an economy ticket next weekend and confused about the immigration, checked baggage and/or carryon policy at BRU, especially with a 1 hour and 45 minute connection. Flying UA999, EWR-BRU and then an UA codeshare UA9907, BRU-BUD, operated by SN dba Eurowings. Its a 3 day trip so I can use a carry-on but I noticed Eurowings only allows 1 cabin bag so like most Americans, I use a laptop backpack for under the seat, plus a carry-on. So what is my best procedure? Use a carry-on and gate check my carry-on at BRU? Or will my luggage go thru to BUD if I check 1 bag? Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Originally Posted by JetSetDave
Hello, I am flying PDX-EWR-BRU-BUD on an economy ticket next weekend and confused about the immigration, checked baggage and/or carryon policy at BRU, especially with a 1 hour and 45 minute connection. Flying UA999, EWR-BRU and then an UA codeshare UA9907, BRU-BUD, operated by SN dba Eurowings. Its a 3 day trip so I can use a carry-on but I noticed Eurowings only allows 1 cabin bag so like most Americans, I use a laptop backpack for under the seat, plus a carry-on. So what is my best procedure? Use a carry-on and gate check my carry-on at BRU? Or will my luggage go thru to BUD if I check 1 bag? Thanks
You will arrive at terminal A and you will need to clear immigration and security (not sure in which order). You then need to walk to terminal B which is 5-15 minute walk (depending on your gate, low 40s = short walk, anything above 55 = longer walk).

Carry-on baggage: just go to the gate, board and try to find an overhead bin (in your cabin section). From my experience SN is rather cool about the carry-ons - they try to accommodate everybody until they run out of the overhead space. If your bag is really big they may tell you to get it tagged at the gate and you will pick it in BUD from the baggage claim (not from the airplane). If you're in b.flex (what is your booking class?) you're actually allowed to pre-board, which will give you an excellent chance of finding an empty bin. Note - next weekend is the beginning of school holidays in Belgium, so the flight will be full and airport busy. If you want to check your suitcase all the way to BUD you do NOT need to reclaim it in BRU.

No immigration control in BUD as you have enter the Schengen area in BRU. However, you will be required to show your passport while boarding in BRU.

Have a good trip (quite a distance for 4 days!).

Last edited by AVSA; Jun 24, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by AVSA
You will arrive at terminal A and you will need to clear immigration and security (not sure in which order). You then need to walk to terminal B which is 5-15 minute walk (depending on your gate, low 40s = short walk, anything above 55 = longer walk).
Thank you so much for your detailed information, especially the upcoming Belgium school holiday. I am booked in a UA "K" fare so I imagine it's below a b.flex ticket so I will check my bag to keep the BRU transit simple. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by JetSetDave
I am booked in a UA "K" fare so I imagine it's below a b.flex ticket...
As I recall it K class is dirt cheap economy with UA so you are very much below SN b flex fare (the latter is actually quite expensive - often just below a restricted business class fare)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Hello folks. I am connecting from TLV to BRU to IAD with a 85 minute connection at BRU. Is this doable? I am in business class on both legs if that makes a difference. Are there fast track lanes that I can access? The flight arrives at 850 am in the morning if that helps and SN has a couple of US departures within minutes of each other.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Hello folks. I am connecting from TLV to BRU to IAD with a 85 minute connection at BRU. Is this doable? I am in business class on both legs if that makes a difference. Are there fast track lanes that I can access? The flight arrives at 850 am in the morning if that helps and SN has a couple of US departures within minutes of each other.
I can't see any issues with that connection (B to B, non-Schengen), you would also get plenty of time to enjoy the SN lounge (and relative decent choice of beers, if applicable ).

G
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
The SN flights to the US leave from the end of B. Be mindful there is another document check to get to these gates which can take some time (up to 20min IME) and there was no C fast lane last time I flew long haul SN, last fall. That said, 85 min should be fine.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:59 pm

I booked the following routing for July 2019, and now I kind of regret picking the 70 min connection at BRU instead of the 140 min connection. Two questions:

1. Is this routing doable?

United partner award in J
US passport
Traveling light--my carry on will be a hiking backpack w/ about 15 lbs of stuff in it. This means I can run if I have to.
Final destination is LAX (on AC)

SN 2712 GVA > BRU
Dep. GVA @ 8.15 AM
Arr. BRU @ 9:35 AM

Connect to

SN 551 BRU > YYZ
Dep. BRU @ 10:45 AM

2. There is also SN 2726 from GVA to BRU, which departs at 7:05 AM. If I show up early at GVA on the day of, is there any chance that SN might let me take the earlier flight?

I called United to try to change the routing to do GVA > BRU the night before, overnight in BRU, and then continue in the morning, but they couldn't do it. Apparently, GVA > BRU > YYZ was a married segment.

Thanks!

Last edited by lobo411; Aug 19, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411
I booked the following routing for July 2019, and now I kind of regret picking the 70 min connection at BRU instead of the 140 min connection. Two questions:

1. Is this routing doable?

United partner award in J
US passport
Traveling light--my carry on will be a hiking backpack w/ about 15 lbs of stuff in it. This means I can run if I have to.
Final destination is LAX (on AC)

SN 2712 GVA > BRU
Dep. GVA @ 8.15 AM
Arr. BRU @ 9:35 AM

Connect to

SN 551 BRU > YYZ
Dep. BRU @ 10:45 AM

2. There is also SN 2726 from GVA to BRU, which departs at 7:05 AM. If I show up early at GVA on the day of, is there any chance that SN might let me take the earlier flight?

I called United to try to change the routing to do GVA > BRU the night before, overnight in BRU, and then continue in the morning, but they couldn't do it. Apparently, GVA > BRU > YYZ was a married segment.

Thanks!
You are most likely fine, the passport control line for non EU passport might be long at that time but 70 min is plenty. I frequently show up in BRU 1 hour before TATL flights, never had an issue (and I have to go through security, which you don't have to do).
Worst case they will put you on the IAD flight leaving at noon.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Agree that you should be fine. I checked the on-time performance of SN2712, which is 68%, and delays are not more than 15min typically. Also BRU is among the more convenient airports for connections; it is not more than a 10 min walk from your arrival to your departure gate + a few minutes a passport control.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Perfect...thanks for your responses!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
We are connecting in BRU in a few days, I am on on Brussels Airlines: LHR-BRU connecting to BRU-Africa. I want to buy a few bottles of alcohol (Jack Daniels and/or wine) at duty-free in either LHR or BRU. Can you tell me:

- Which do you think would have the better prices, LHR or BRU?
- If I buy at LHR, will I be OK carrying the bottles through BRU while in transit?

Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
We are connecting in BRU in a few days, I am on on Brussels Airlines: LHR-BRU connecting to BRU-Africa. I want to buy a few bottles of alcohol (Jack Daniels and/or wine) at duty-free in either LHR or BRU. Can you tell me:

- Which do you think would have the better prices, LHR or BRU?
- If I buy at LHR, will I be OK carrying the bottles through BRU while in transit?

Thanks.
BRU is a lot cheaper. And transit I don't see any issue, I have done it the other way, bought in BRU, connected in LHR to the US, no problem.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Mict
BRU is a lot cheaper. And transit I don't see any issue, I have done it the other way, bought in BRU, connected in LHR to the US, no problem.
Great, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.