Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Brussels [BRU]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I've changed in Brussels a couple of times on transatlantic flights, and I think that 40 minutes is too short. It might work, but it's quite risky.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nycvisitor
Considering you have to switch terminals, I wouldn't recommend it. BRU airport is not that small and security lines can be awful (especially during summer).
Even without security lines, it's a long walk between terminals of you can't do the T-gate/bus option. 40 minutes is nowhere near enough time.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: AC
I live in Brussels, and can assure you on a good day it takes 15 minutes from your arrival gate B to the A gates. This is not counting security and passport control. If the stars all aligned, you might just sneak through, but lately at BRU it has been slightly disorganized.

I would play it safe and come in early.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:31 am

Another SN connection question at BRU

Hi all,

As per the earlier post above, I am thinking of booking a flight from TLS to BER via BRU, and notice the connection time is 50 minutes (at around 1900 on a Thursday evening).

I will NOT be flying C class, and have no status. I hope to check no luggage, but note that I may have to due to the size of the aircraft TLS-BRU.

Is there really enough time to make this connection at BRU? Do I have to clear security at BRU? And should I be worried if they require me to check my one bag?

Thanks!

Joe
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by nyjoe4
Hi all,

As per the earlier post above, I am thinking of booking a flight from TLS to BER via BRU, and notice the connection time is 50 minutes (at around 1900 on a Thursday evening).

I will NOT be flying C class, and have no status. I hope to check no luggage, but note that I may have to due to the size of the aircraft TLS-BRU.

Is there really enough time to make this connection at BRU? Do I have to clear security at BRU? And should I be worried if they require me to check my one bag?

Thanks!

Joe
In general, this should be fine. It is a Schengen to Schengen connection, all within Terminal A and without an additional security check.

SN3670 (the one I assume you plan for TLS-BRU) is operated by an AVRO RJ, which has less handbagage space than larger planes but more than the typical ERJ or CRJ - but not in rows 5-9 (IIRC) though which are under the wing so avoid these seats.

If your inbound is late to BRU, SN are good at picking up pax from apron flights to bring them direct to their connecting flight, though there's a high chance you will be arriving at a gate position with the ARJ and will have only a short walk/run.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:28 pm

Thanks, MichielR - that puts my mind at rest.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by josh_saunders
I live in Brussels, and can assure you on a good day it takes 15 minutes from your arrival gate B to the A gates. This is not counting security and passport control. If the stars all aligned, you might just sneak through, but lately at BRU it has been slightly disorganized.

I would play it safe and come in early.
Thanks everyone for your advice!!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
What WAS a 1hr 5 minute connection time in BRU has now become 50 minutes. Arriving UA 1st class from ORD, transferring to LH short hop to FRA. Should I try to reschedule this? It is an award ticket, going from FRA to BKK on TG A380 in first class. I don't want to miss that TG flight!

Opinions? There is a direct flight from ORD to FRA, but no saver 1st awards are available at this time. The flight is in mid-December. Plenty of time to see more seats/flights open up?

Have not yet clicked on "Continue" button, which would ACCEPT the schedule change. Should I? Would you accept and hope for something else to open up?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sim510
What WAS a 1hr 5 minute connection time in BRU has now become 50 minutes. Arriving UA 1st class from ORD, transferring to LH short hop to FRA. Should I try to reschedule this? It is an award ticket, going from FRA to BKK on TG A380 in first class. I don't want to miss that TG flight!

Opinions? There is a direct flight from ORD to FRA, but no saver 1st awards are available at this time. The flight is in mid-December. Plenty of time to see more seats/flights open up?

Have not yet clicked on "Continue" button, which would ACCEPT the schedule change. Should I? Would you accept and hope for something else to open up?
50 minutes is doable as long as you don't have to change terminals. If you do, 50 minutes is a stretch.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:10 am

50 min connecting time is risky in BRU. You have to change terminals and since you arrive from ORD, you need to go to immigrations. Given the long walkways in BRU and the unpredictable weather situation, I wouldn't risk it.
How much time do you have in FRA? Would a later LH-flight bring you in on time?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Frederik, thanks for that reply. I had several reasons to call the 1K desk an hour or so ago, so I asked about this flight connection. The agent told me that 50 minutes is the minimum allowed connection time in BRU. She also added that since we would be arriving in first class, we would be "first off the plane" which should help. The flight is not until December, and I told her I was hoping to get the direct ORD-FRA flight at saver award rate on that date. She checked and said that it is not available (but it might become available between now and then), so I will "accept" the change for now, and will keep watching (like a hawk) for more availability!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:59 am

Frederik, thanks for that reply. I had several reasons to call the 1K desk an hour or so ago, so I asked about this flight connection. The agent told me that 50 minutes is the minimum allowed connection time in BRU. She also added that since we would be arriving in first class, we would be "first off the plane" which should help. The flight is not until December, and I told her I was hoping to get the direct ORD-FRA flight at saver award rate on that date. She checked and said that it is not available (but it might become available between now and then), so I will "accept" the change for now, and will keep watching (like a hawk) for more availability!
"First off the plane" is great, provided you arrive at a gate where you can walk to immigration and security. If you arrive at the T terminal, you're looking at a bus ride, and being in First isn't all that big of a help.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

Similar situation. Flying F IAD-BRU and then short hop to FRA to catch TG A380 from FRA-BKK. I think I have about an hour flat in BRU. Should I be worried?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Gberg
Similar situation. Flying F IAD-BRU and then short hop to FRA to catch TG A380 from FRA-BKK. I think I have about an hour flat in BRU. Should I be worried?
Depends on whether you have to change terminals or not. As long as you don't arrive at T gates or arrive at A or B and have to transfer to the T gates, an hour is do-able.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
If you have checked luggage....it probably won't make the switch.

I did a connection with 50 min the middle of June. UA EWR to BRU "C" to Brussels Air....to Berlin. Be ready to sweat as you plod along, and find yourself in a never ending serpentine of shops, security, immigration and bags that didn't make the switch. Not a fun connection!

Way too little time imo. Of course if your last name is Bolt, Go for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.