Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The A380 economy experience-post it here.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by bacchus85
LH Hotline told me that from now on, only LH flyers with HON and SEN status can book economy seats on the upper deck.
Originally Posted by bacchus85
Now they told me it was an IT glitch on their side and they're sorry and I am free to choose seats on the upper deck again.
So, any idea if the original thing that the LH hotline about only HON/SEN members being able to book those seats is true or not? Or was that just something they made up since you were rebooked into a lower deck seat for no apparent reason (the IT glitch)?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:33 pm

I honestly don't know which one of the customer service folks told me the truth now.

I guess they could have tried to block the upper eco seats off for HONs and SENs for future bookings only and messed that up, so they both would be kind of right, but I guess I will never know for sure.

Maybe someone here knows for sure, but I'm just a regular eco passenger and have no clue what they're doing or why.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: FB Gold
I had previously reserved a Y seat on the upper deck for my flight in April JFK-FRA, and just checked. My reservation was unchanged/unaffected- I don't have HON/SEN status but just the regular member level for M&M.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I had this happen with next week's LAX FRA upper deck Y seat assignment. But I noticed it and rang LH reservations here in New Zealand. They saw there was a glitch, re-requested the seat for me and queued it off to Germany. As they predicted, the next afternoon I got a confirmation of the seat.

Checked it again online today and the seat booking for the upper deck is still there
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA M+ Plat
Overhead height/size in LH A380 lower deck Y?

I flew the A380 "New Queen" SFO - FRA for the first time last week. Got a seat in the mini Y cabin up there on the A380-800 and enjoyed many of the parts I had expected would be better up there compared to lower deck Y (good fast service, lav generally clean(er) and free most of the time due to the small cabin).

But... the overheads were so high! And the bins on the outside were miniscule, resulting in lots of pax having to cram their bags into the center bins. I was sitting in an aisle seat in the center section and usually on longhauls I count on being able to access my bag easily during the flight, but I just couldn't this time. I could barely reach (I am, admittedly, "vertically challenged"), and because of the tightly crammed bin due to the size issue on the outer section bins I wasn't confident I'd be able to get my bag back in by myself if I hauled it all the way down. (Since I boarded early with *G status, my bag was one of the first in the bin, with others' bags wedged in around mine.)

So my question is: are the lower deck A380 bins the same height, and do the outer bins suffer the same size issue? I tried to look for info on this on SeatGuru but didn't see anything about it (and I've read a few pages back in this thread, but not all the way...yet). I'm arranging another trip via FRA in June and have a choice between flying the A380 again or flying United metal (I generally loathe United's ollllld 747s on the SFO - FRA route, so I'm leaning towards giving the A380 another chance, possibly with a reconfiguration of my carry-on items if I want to do upper deck again, or perhaps I'll try the lower deck.)

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:53 pm

I had previously reserved a Y seat on the upper deck for my flight in April JFK-FRA, and just checked. My reservation was unchanged/unaffected- I don't have HON/SEN status but just the regular member level for M&M.
Well, I'm glad I checked! We have two award tickets on LAX->FRA on different PNRs and was able to select upper deck economy when I first booked the tickets. About two months back, one of seats got moved to the lower deck. I moved it back and after checking it now, it looks like BOTH were moved to the lower deck! Fortunately, the upper deck were still available. I wonder if I have to keep playing this game with DLH till the day of the flight?! Or is calling and speaking to a CSR a better way to make the reservations stick than doing everything online like I've been doing?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Tight transfer in FRA on a 380. Where to sit?

My wife will be travelling to MAN via FRA. The inbound flight is LH 441, which is an A380. The transfer time on the ground is only going to be about 90 minutes in FRA. The A380 is huge, and thankfully, there are open seats on both the upper and lower decks. But she will need need to get off the plane quickly, so that she can make the connecting flight. (She travels very infrequently, and almost never overseas. She definitely does not want to get stranded in FRA, as she does not speak a word of German.)

Does it matter which deck to sit on, upper and lower? Or do they unload both decks at the same speed? Which would you pick, if you had to make a quick connection in a strange, foreign airport? She really wants off that plane quickly, so she can make her connecting gate.

Thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Well, you did not say when your wife travels and if on one ticket. So presuming it is in the near future and on one ticket, LH441 arrives to FRA at 08:40am and LH942 departs at 11:00am, giving her 140 mins for the transfer. That's heaps of time... Worst case come, there is another LH flight later on and she would be put on it.
No worries about not speaking German - all LH staff speak good English, even in Frankfurt
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
So, there is no advantage to sitting on one deck versus the other? I know on a 747, it is typically best to sit on the lower deck (at least that has been my strategy in the past.)

OK, Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
TBH, I do not know about the decks for Y, as I am always in business class (i.e. upper deck) on 380. I am not sure if the upper deck Y boards and disembarks through Business class or if they have to go downstairs using stairs in the tail. Since it is in tail, then it might be slow in such a case...

But again, even 90 minutes should be enough.

Seat maps are here https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myp...en&cid=1000182
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A person speaking no word of German can manage very well in FRA and other parts of Germany, BTW...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:41 am

When I was flying in the upper-deck Y, I disembarked with C cabin.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:49 am

The difference is - even for a full A380 - around 10 minutes between "first person out (usually F) and last person out". Probably even less. I'd not bother about that much. 90 minutes are plenty of time in FRA (even with arriving in C and departing from the most remote A or Z gate) as long as you keep moving/following the signs, and obviously being a person being able to walk at regular speed. I'd not worry about it.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by klausa
When I was flying in the upper-deck Y, I disembarked with C cabin.
Did you board with C?

If you boarded thru the lower deck, which jetbridge and which staircase did you use?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Can somebody confirmed that seats on row 98 (upper deck A380) are able to recline as all other seats? I'm worried that those seats are fixed (because of the wall behind) as they belong to last row. I seen this on some carriers.

What about LH A380?

http://imgur.com/a/CCOz8

Last edited by BurekTheGreat; Apr 13, 2017 at 3:09 am Reason: link edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.