Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Red BP
Amateur question: who is the DST?
My own abbreviation ST= Station manager DM= duty manager

Either of these two is in charge at a non hub station and are similar to a FM in a hub.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SMK77
Of course it's all about revenue: You wanna give those who cough up higher fares a nicer experience on LH and that includes upgrades. If you don't have status but book an ueber-expensive Y ticket last minute and get an upgrade: Are you likely to pick LH again if you have to book such a ticket?
I think it's fair enough to give the op-up to a passenger who's paying say full-fare economy. LH is quite harsh with regards to changing one's itinerary, so I'm sure there are those who fork out extra for a higher fare just to be able to make any last minute changes.

And if they're paying more for their Y ticket, quite possibly on a regular basis, then should the upgrade really go to someone else who purchased a dirt cheap econ fare... simply because most of the time that person doesn't fly in Y?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by aster
I think it's fair enough to give the op-up to a passenger who's paying say full-fare economy. LH is quite harsh with regards to changing one's itinerary, so I'm sure there are those who fork out extra for a higher fare just to be able to make any last minute changes.

And if they're paying more for their Y ticket, quite possibly on a regular basis, then should the upgrade really go to someone else who purchased a dirt cheap econ fare... simply because most of the time that person doesn't fly in Y?
Fair enough. But this is not really what this thread was about: removing status pax on V fare from the grading list (those flying on the other "middle fares", like M, H, Q, will still be on the list, meaning that, e.g., an FTL or *G on Q will be upgraded instead of a SEN on V).
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by BikeHelmet
Fair enough. But this is not really what this thread was about: removing status pax on V fare from the grading list (those flying on the other "middle fares", like M, H, Q, will still be on the list, meaning that, e.g., an FTL or *G on Q will be upgraded instead of a SEN on V).
It's still a near-religious non-benefit: without the insider information provided here, HONs would still be upgraded from V and W fares and others would still never succeed from B .. no one would actually and tangibly notice. And now with the insider information, we will just see more "exceptions to the rules" - SENs who keep their op-up states despite V and the disappointed crowd which nonetheless never makes it.

Next to seat blocking, access rules to lounges upon arrival, and no access to the FCT en route, this will be one of myriads of spiritual privileges and anti benefits only available to those of faith.

But maybe some FTers actually buy more Q fares now .. so well done LH insider !
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
(for my few long hauls I don't care, as I always book the cabin I want to fly - so opups are just physically not possible from that class).

But when the originally booked eco is oversold - it means: Seat blocking will not work.

And will a FTL in Q really be opuped, while a HON in V has to remain cramped in eco (just 'cause he paid 40€ less?) ?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:10 am

Wowowow.....

My impression even worse.... What will be the next? No lounge access in booking class E, L, T, S, W, K, U, V,....?

The next step then will be automatic lounge access with Y, B, H, M.

This way you will not need SEN or HON for your eco-flight any more.

They can sell it as an improvement that you dont need to carry your card any more as lounge access is only based on your booking class.

Shall I suggest this to Mr Franz?

Maybe this idea is crazy but maybe crazy ideas and impressions come up if your back hurts so much from FRA-DME with the ... new NEK seats....

Lufthansa is becoming really bad for me. I dont understand what they are doing...

I will in future even more decide about an other airline depending on the price of the flight, as I do nearly not have any advantage out of my LH card any more.

I need to fly often for my company, and often ex FRA. Lounges are full(to full !!!), perks are decreasing, the new seat hurts, .....
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by econprof
My op-up rate between FRA and NYC has been probably around 50% during the last three years, and certainly higher during certain periods.
I suppose this sad tale gives an economic rationale to the enhancement.

If any customer can come to rely on accessing a $4000+ facility with a $600 ticket on more than half the times he travels, then there's something going wrong from the operator's point of view. The customer is getting an average $2300+ service for $600: probably someway in excess of the level of benefit Lufthansa expects to provide its Senators.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fun_Flyer
Wowowow.....

My impression even worse.... What will be the next? No lounge access in booking class E, L, T, S, W, K, U, V,....?

The next step then will be automatic lounge access with Y, B, H, M.

This way you will not need SEN or HON for your eco-flight any more.

They can sell it as an improvement that you dont need to carry your card any more as lounge access is only based on your booking class.

Shall I suggest this to Mr Franz?

Maybe this idea is crazy but maybe crazy ideas and impressions come up if your back hurts so much from FRA-DME with the ... new NEK seats....

Lufthansa is becoming really bad for me. I dont understand what they are doing...

I will in future even more decide about an other airline depending on the price of the flight, as I do nearly not have any advantage out of my LH card any more.

I need to fly often for my company, and often ex FRA. Lounges are full(to full !!!), perks are decreasing, the new seat hurts, .....
Oh come on now- you mean you don't like the SN rules where the weight of your carry on changes based on the class of your ticket in Economy class (I am not making this up)?
http://www.brusselsairlines.com/com/...=23926#piTitle
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Oh come on now- you mean you don't like the SN rules where the weight of your carry on changes based on the class of your ticket in Economy class (I am not making this up)?
I wouldn't be suprised if LH introduced it as well, since low Y classes have lowered fuel surcharge :-).

Maybe we should do a raffle what enhancement comes next? I'm sure LH will be happy with all the ideas submitted!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:49 am

If SN is the benchmark, then LH will go completely down the drain.
The takeover by LH combines the worst of both worlds: incompetent SN management and much higher fares by having established a complete LH monopoly on direct shorthauls.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by econprof
I find this very, very, VERY disappointing and annoying. As someone who has earned about 120K on LH on average for the last four years, *all* of it in paid economy, *rarely* in a fare bucket above V, and often in S, W, or L, this has a huge impact on me.

My op-up rate between FRA and NYC has been probably around 50% during the last three years, and certainly higher during certain periods. The chance of an op-up has been one, if not *the*, greatest benefit of my hard-earned SENhood. To learn that this benefit is now essentially being taken away and that some *G who may be flying their *first flight ever* on LH will be op-upped up and me not just pisses me off beyond belief.

It's like they are changing the grading rules just to affect me. Thanks LH... and screw off.
If things keep going this way me & my family all sen & ftl shall migrate to BA or EK or another worthwhile program which values us as loyal clients .

LH sucks
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by diamantaire
If things keep going this way me & my family all sen & ftl shall migrate to BA or EK or another worthwhile program which values us as loyal clients .

LH sucks
What makes you think the grass is greener on the other side??
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
What makes you think the grass is greener on the other side??
Good point. The real poke in the eye is that the definition of "very low fares" can actually be not that low at all. I have a flight VCE/FRA next week which is at the "very low fare" and it is 450 EUR and gains a whopping 125 miles each way (250 round trip). While I agree it is better than the "very low fares" to BRU- surely it wouldn't kill LH to go crazy and give the 750 miles each leg on this ticket. It doesn't really matter anyway-in the scheme of things it is non-consequential- but it seems, well, a bit penny wise pound foolish. Secondly, it doesn't matter as the flight is 55 minutes- but it will really be great if a *G on their first LH flight ever gets an opup in case of oversell because HON members with "very low fares" are not eligible. I am not going to book C on trips <1 hour when I know I don't need flexibility in dates- that is called silly.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by diamantaire

LH sucks
I think this is hardly a reason to be upset.

Personally I don't see why they don't allocate upgrades starting with those who paid the HIGHEST econ tariff and then work their way downwards. Of course if there are several pax who paid the most expensive fare then the opup should go to the one with highest status.

But overall this should be one of the benefits of paying full-fare economy.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack
I wouldn't be suprised if LH introduced it as well, since low Y classes have lowered fuel surcharge :-).

Maybe we should do a raffle what enhancement comes next? I'm sure LH will be happy with all the ideas submitted!
I would love to see how SN even attemps to enforce the carry-on baggage rule. The poor excuse for lounges in BRU combined with the "Fast Track" which often slower than the regular line because of the ridiculous machine to check boarding passes and open a gate (which works intermittently) combined with a byzantine fare system that not even the staff of SN can explain to a travel agent (mine asked and she was not able to understand the responses she received) make me doubt that even SN can enforce this.

As for the next enhancement- perhaps a benchmarking of Ryanair can help ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.