Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Old Jun 3, 11, 6:17 pm

very strange move from LH side. what's the point?. in over sold situation they need to move some passengers to business / first class. i fail to understand why they want to punish their most loyal customers?

this enhancement won't affect me cause i don't travel in economy class, but it bothers me
Old Jun 3, 11, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
I wonder whether this is driven by some guy in IT or a conscious decision by the marketing folks. The FM will have lots of fun when the A3 *S gets an Op-Up while the HON does not.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
With only one confirmed longhaul upgrade every two years many SENs only stuck around due to the occasional op-up..
Considering that we have many people here (including myself) who never, ever got an upgrade on LH I don't hope that people keep SENhood just for the hope of an upgrade. They might find themselves to be very disappointed.
Old Jun 3, 11, 9:44 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
I find this very, very, VERY disappointing and annoying. As someone who has earned about 120K on LH on average for the last four years, *all* of it in paid economy, *rarely* in a fare bucket above V, and often in S, W, or L, this has a huge impact on me.

My op-up rate between FRA and NYC has been probably around 50% during the last three years, and certainly higher during certain periods. The chance of an op-up has been one, if not *the*, greatest benefit of my hard-earned SENhood. To learn that this benefit is now essentially being taken away and that some *G who may be flying their *first flight ever* on LH will be op-upped up and me not just pisses me off beyond belief.

It's like they are changing the grading rules just to affect me. Thanks LH... and screw off.
Old Jun 3, 11, 11:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by A380*G View Post
Perhaps LH believe that this will make status pax buy eco tickets in a higher fare bucket. The underlying reason for this enhancement may be that they intend to decrease the number of tickets sold in the lowest fare buckets in favour of the more expensive eco fares.
That doesn't make a lot of sense as long as it isn't even possible to deliberately book Q, H or M instead of V when V is what LH.com offers as "Economy Basic Plus" fare. Or is it (see fivesixseven's and my previous post)?
Old Jun 3, 11, 11:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BikeHelmet View Post
By the way, is there a way to book Q (H, M) instead of V on LH.com when V is what they sell by default as "Economy Basic Plus"? Or do you have to call / use a TA to do something like that?
It seems to vary depending on the route and date of travel. Try a dummy booking on LH.com and select your outbound and inbound flight. When you click "Continue to Fare Review" you should be able to see the booking class for each segment.

P.S. On some TATL flights I tried a dummy booking there's nothing available between Economy Basic (V booking class) and Economy Flex (B booking class).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 3, 11 at 11:58 pm
Old Jun 4, 11, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
P.S. On some TATL flights I tried a dummy booking there's nothing available between Economy Basic (V booking class) and Economy Flex (B booking class).
That's what I see all the time, flying mostly TATL routes. They offer Economy Basic (L, W etc), Economy Basic Plus (V, Q, H, M), Economy Flex (B, Y), and sometimes Economy Saver (S).
If I fly Economy, it's usually a combination of Basic Plus and Flex for the roundtrip. I never figured out how to select a higher "Economy Basic Plus" fare than the one currently offered by the booking engine, which is V many times. I never really cared, though, but the new "enhancement" may make me want to book Q, yet I don't know how to do that on LH.com.
Old Jun 4, 11, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BikeHelmet View Post
That's what I see all the time, flying mostly TATL routes. They offer Economy Basic (L, W etc), Economy Basic Plus (V, Q, H, M), Economy Flex (B, Y), and sometimes Economy Saver (S).
If I fly Economy, it's usually a combination of Basic Plus and Flex for the roundtrip. I never figured out how to select a higher "Economy Basic Plus" fare than the one currently offered by the booking engine, which is V many times. I never really cared, though, but the new "enhancement" may make me want to book Q, yet I don't know how to do that on LH.com.
I remember that I called KLM some years ago, and asked to book me in T instead of N, and that was possible. However, they charged 35 euro for booking at the call center. I wonder, like you, if LH does the same.
Old Jun 4, 11, 1:21 am

I am pretty sure they can put you into any available class you want if you call them... of course you pay for the privilege.
Old Jun 4, 11, 2:46 am

Programs: LH SEN**
Originally Posted by econprof View Post
My op-up rate between FRA and NYC has been probably around 50% during the last three years, and certainly higher during certain periods. The chance of an op-up has been one, if not *the*, greatest benefit of my hard-earned SENhood. To learn that this benefit is now essentially being taken away and that some *G who may be flying their *first flight ever* on LH will be op-upped up and me not just pisses me off beyond belief.
I agree that this new enhancement really sucks, as I also mostly fly Y (and am a SEN since 2006). I also do not see the point as these changes (and op-ups in general) do not affect LHs revenue. Clearly op-ups are an instrument that (aside from some additional C meals and drinks) do not cost LH anything. It probably even saves them money, as they do not have to pay compensation to passengers if Y is overbooked and they have to rebook them, possiblly pay for food, hotel etc.
On the other hand, op-ups became rare event: I was op-up'ed on 8 segments from Y to C out of a total of 23 segments in the last 4 years, which sounds not bad, but not a single time any more in the last 2 years. The higher frequency before was probably due to financial crisis and indeed as for econprof 4 out of my 8 op-ops were on JFK-MUC/FRA flights. In the last two years, most of the times when I flew longhaul Y, Y was far from being completely booked and C was completely full. If I wanted to upgrade with miles or e-vouchers, I was always on the waiting list, the upgrade cleared very late and C was always completely full.
For me, I will not pay the fare difference between Q and V just to get the (slight) chance for an op-up. Already, I am spending more money than necessary from my travel budget for V class flight, even though in most cases cheaper fare classes are still available. For me, the possibility to earn 100% miles and to be able to upgrade with miles are the more important factors.
Old Jun 4, 11, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Viennafly View Post
For me, I will not pay the fare difference between Q and V just to get the (slight) chance for an op-up. Already, I am spending more money than necessary from my travel budget for V class flight, even though in most cases cheaper fare classes are still available. For me, the possibility to earn 100% miles and to be able to upgrade with miles are the more important factors.
I could even kind of understand if they changed the grading status of W, S, and L fares, but V? Earning 100% miles and upgradeable, but not on the grading list? Makes no sense...

Given my typical route, I might pay extra for Q if it were marginally more expensive, but there's no way to book that on LH.com.

All in all feels like a big "F*** you" from LH.
Old Jun 4, 11, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Just book with a TA.
They can book you in whichever fare bucket you like, and often cheaper than LH.com
Old Jun 4, 11, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
Just book with a TA.
They can book you in whichever fare bucket you like, and often cheaper than LH.com
Did you call LH?
Old Jun 4, 11, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by fivesixseven View Post
Did you call LH?
No, I call my TA!
Old Jun 4, 11, 4:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
It seems to vary depending on the route and date of travel. Try a dummy booking on LH.com and select your outbound and inbound flight. When you click "Continue to Fare Review" you should be able to see the booking class for each segment.

Normally the higher fare buckets appear only when you are closer to the departure date, because the cheaper ones are already sold, but it is not always like this and depends in LH yield management(or whatever is denominated ).

Normally Q is 40/50% more expensive than V. I would not pay this amount for a chance(small) of being op-uped.

What would happen if all elites are booked in V or below? they would op-up Blue M&M and basic members from other *A FFP?
Old Jun 4, 11, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by saviox View Post
Normally Q is 40/50% more expensive than V.
Huh?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: