Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
LH Logics: If the SEN/HON gets an upgrade he will book only cheap tickets. He just gets what he pays for. So it is economically (in the short run) not sensible to upgrade a frequent flyer.

Someone with no status may get excited by the brilliant product that LH offers in Business Class, that he will from that moment on only will book LH (because hoping for an upgrade) and hopefully the best Business Class in the world.

LH gives a *%&$ for your Loyalty! Just Nonstop you!
Fully agree.

The logic of LH is they op-up HON/SEN all the time, but if we take it from the individual pax point of view, the % of free op-ups we get are very small, so no way we will book a more expensive ticket and hope for the free upgrade.

Last but not least, HON/SEN, who are the ones that really travel frequently, will see blue M&M members being op-uped before them, so they will consider switching to one airline that prioritizes their elite members.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Rambuster
That's why more and more HONs end up with BA Gold cards, CX Diamond cards and EK Gold cards...
4-5 FT/VFTer HONs claim to have turned their back on LH ... which makes an interesting business case: attract frequent fliers to spend cash in order to gain a coveted status, then downgrade the status chasing away the said frequent flyers. The airline counts the money they earned from the flyer, the flyer doesn't use the facilities.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Is this now an official policy? Or just a trend that has been observed?

Just this weekend I was op-upped traveling on an award ticket flying with a 5 year old with no status whatsoever.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
4-5 FT/VFTer HONs claim to have turned their back on LH ... which makes an interesting business case: attract frequent fliers to spend cash in order to gain a coveted status, then downgrade the status chasing away the said frequent flyers. The airline counts the money they earned from the flyer, the flyer doesn't use the facilities.
I doubt that many European frequent flyers can really "turn their backs" on LH- however a number of trips that use to go to LH without question can go elsewhere.

The cycle outlined is a fun idea- thankfully however has probably not been implemented yet
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by creber

Just this weekend I was op-upped traveling on an award ticket flying with a 5 year old with no status whatsoever.
The official ranking/sorting of the list that the gate uses to decide/issue opups certainly ranks HON/SEN/*G/FTL/*S in Y-Q first, then riffraff Y-Q, then HON/SEN/*G/FTL/*S in V-K, I, X etc. If a gate agent or FM wants to decide HONs in X get the op-up, its their choice, they just have to pick a reason code that is plausible.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/130)

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Originally Posted by creber

The official ranking/sorting of the list that the gate uses to decide/issue opups certainly ranks HON/SEN/*G/FTL/*S in Y-Q first, then riffraff Y-Q, then HON/SEN/*G/FTL/*S in V-K, I, X etc. If a gate agent or FM wants to decide HONs in X get the op-up, its their choice, they just have to pick a reason code that is plausible.
This is valid for LH only. On LX it's a different story. No booking class is excluded and they can chose any pax within the same status level thus disregarding the fare class.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
No! They end up with other cards because the carriers have unfair economic systems, use predatory pricing to encroach on the LH "HOME" market, and price below cost for a future plan of monopolistic control of the airline industry.
I think this is a valid point for EK (and EY), but not so much for BA and CX - I don't see either of these airlines pricing below cost to buy up the market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.