Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
... I was just op-upped by the system automatically in FRA, but found that the biz cabin was full of characters that were not status members. ...
How can you tell? Does not having a little or silver gold card in your pocket show?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
How can you tell? Does not having a little or silver gold card in your pocket show?
People yapping about what happened.

It's also pretty evident if you study people's behavior and facial expressions...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

A few years ago I was on a MAA-FRA flight where they were op-upgrading by the dozen (at checkin and onboard) and quickly ran out of SEN/FTLs to grade. The lounge and aircraft was full of people calling F&F to tell them the good news. Not necessarily bad for LH...

On Jul 20-22 a colleague did a one day trip FRA-BOM in Y booked in B as SEN and I was monitoring his flight to see if a op-up was possible. Surprisingly on both legs he was one of only 3-4 SENs in Y.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
On Jul 20-22 a colleague did a one day trip FRA-BOM in Y booked in B as SEN and I was monitoring his flight to see if a op-up was possible. Surprisingly on both legs he was one of only 3-4 SENs in Y.
And the result?

Was he op-upped?

I noted possibly only 4 exit row/other priority seats with SENs, HONs or *G on my flight, but there were others in priority seating, which could be LH affiliates/other *G. Note we cannot tell if FTs or *Ss are on board either, using this method...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:54 am

Sadly no.

I spot SEN/HONs by seat assignments before CI opens (as only SEN/HON can take seats in the 'V' zone) and once CI opens you see the '-' last off signs beside SEN/HON/*G travelling alone. The elites travelling with non elite companions don't appear on the top of the grading list, so probably fall into the same cesspool category as elites on a no-no booking class.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:00 am

I spot SEN/HONs by seat assignments before CI opens (as only SEN/HON can take seats in the 'V' zone) and once CI opens you see the '-' last off signs beside SEN/HON/*G travelling alone.
Where exactly can you see this? Is the seat blocking?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:12 am

In Amadeus...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:27 am

In Amadeus...
Seatmap or otherwise?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Seatmap or otherwise?
See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...upgrading.html
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Well, you are not HON or SEN and as the policy is meant to punish HON and SEN this is actually very consistent. :-)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:56 pm

Curious case of a HON and a SEN - perhaps the punishment is in place?

Recent LH758, FRA-MAA oversold by 30+ in economy
Boat loads of general members/ non-members get upgraded
but not a HON and a SEN (unrelated) booked in V class
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:49 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by indeus
Recent LH758, FRA-MAA oversold by 30+ in economy
Boat loads of general members/ non-members get upgraded
but not a HON and a SEN (unrelated) booked in V class
I wonder if LH seriously expects to increase revenue by alienating their best customers... How likely is it that someone books into Y/M/B instead of V/W/S in the hope of getting an OP-up? How likely is it that one actively tries to maintain status after observing such a feat?

HTB.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
LH Logics: If the SEN/HON gets an upgrade he will book only cheap tickets. He just gets what he pays for. So it is economically (in the short run) not sensible to upgrade a frequent flyer.

Someone with no status may get excited by the brilliant product that LH offers in Business Class, that he will from that moment on only will book LH (because hoping for an upgrade) and hopefully the best Business Class in the world.

LH gives a *%&$ for your Loyalty! Just Nonstop you!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
LH Logics: If the SEN/HON gets an upgrade he will book only cheap tickets. He just gets what he pays for. So it is economically (in the short run) not sensible to upgrade a frequent flyer.

Someone with no status may get excited by the brilliant product that LH offers in Business Class, that he will from that moment on only will book LH (because hoping for an upgrade) and hopefully the best Business Class in the world.

LH gives a *%&$ for your Loyalty! Just Nonstop you!
That's why more and more HONs end up with BA Gold cards, CX Diamond cards and EK Gold cards...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
That's why more and more HONs end up with BA Gold cards, CX Diamond cards and EK Gold cards...
No! They end up with other cards because the carriers have unfair economic systems, use predatory pricing to encroach on the LH "HOME" market, and price below cost for a future plan of monopolistic control of the airline industry.

Other carriers must be stopped through protracted court battles ensuring prices are set at economically sustainable levels.

The trouble is not the NEK seat nor OPUPS nor anything about the programs- the trouble really is that a competitor is making the NEK product look bad by giving the customer something much better than what they actually paid for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.