Food Poisoning?

Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Food Poisoning?

This may explain the recent reports of illness in First Class and elsewhere:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...nation_ki.html
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Would you care to elaborate...?

In fact the incubation time for the particular type of e.coli infection going around right now is quite long - about a week. Must be a rather long flight then you are referring to...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:28 am

I always find it amusing when an American is eventually reading something about Europe which is happening for a week or more already and present it as "news"..

Cucumbers, even those that were carrying the bacterias, are safe once their shell is cut, they're safe when they're cooked/baked whatever.. just eating them raw is currently not suggested.. and even then, 16 death people, probably more people die daily when driving to the airport alone in the world..

This remembers me more and more about the Schweinegrippe.. (pork flue)

Don't panic people!

(I like the ultra-cheap veggies on the market, though..)
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: LH HON
Yesterday on LH 408 DUS-EWR: all salad was cancelled from the menu due to EHEC.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
There have been recent reports on this board about people getting seriously ill on LH flights. This is the third worse e.coli outbreak in current history. It is nothing to laugh at. Seventeen people have already died in Germany and thousands have been quite ill from this. This strain has a propensity to cause severe kidney damage and is one of the deadliest e.coli strains. I came across the article yesterday and realized the possible connection to other posters who complained about illness. And, no, simply washing or peeling a cucumber does not eliminate the bacteria.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KIXJNB
Would you care to elaborate...?

In fact the incubation time for the particular type of e.coli infection going around right now is quite long - about a week. Must be a rather long flight then you are referring to...
e.coli infections can manifest in as little as an hour. The amount of bacteria ingested and the overall health of the patient are factors in how fast the infection spreads. A poster in the menu thread stated she was hospitalized for 2 days after being taken off her flight where she became ill. She believes it was the salad she ate on board. These reports seem to indicate she might be right and now we have a poster in this thread who says LH has removed salads from meal service.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Aloha1
There have been recent reports on this board about people getting seriously ill on LH flights. This is the third worse e.coli outbreak in current history. It is nothing to laugh at. Seventeen people have already died in Germany and thousands have been quite ill from this. This strain has a propensity to cause severe kidney damage and is one of the deadliest e.coli strains. I came across the article yesterday and realized the possible connection to other posters who complained about illness. And, no, simply washing or peeling a cucumber does not eliminate the bacteria.
Again, I have not said it's "nothing", but still, 17 death in over a week is NOT something that you should spread panic. That's the amount of people who are killed on the road every DAY in Germany alone.

Oh, and about washing/cooking, that's exactly whats currently suggested:

Daher wird der Bevölkerung weiterhin geraten, strikt die Hygiene einzuhalten und sich häufig die Hände zu waschen, Salat - speziell Schlangengurken, Tomaten und Kopfsalat - gründlich zu reinigen und Gemüse sicherheitshalber nur gekocht zu verzehren.

Suggesting the population to keep hygienic standards by often washing hands and salad, especially cucumbers, tomatos and lettuce carefully and to cook all vegetable before eating.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I always find it amusing when an American is eventually reading something about Europe which is happening for a week or more already and present it as "news"..
Not only Americans who do this - why are you singling them out?

Sibling rivalry is amusing as well.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by shipsmail
Yesterday on LH 408 DUS-EWR: all salad was cancelled from the menu due to EHEC.
Same for me on a flight ex-Germany last week.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:05 pm

I would expect all flights from Germany are not serving salad now, as the government has advised against eating raw tomato, cucumber and lettuce. Even if you feel it has been blown out of proportion, as an airline has a 'duty of care' I think they have no choice to follow governent advice. I am personally surprised at the amount of restaurants that are still serving salad, though I have eaten a delicious tomato salad today!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by 8420PR
... I have eaten a delicious tomato salad today!
Let's see how you feel tomorrow!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by Aloha1
I read this board regularly, I can only recall one recent story of an unfortunate traveller who spent the flight on the loo.
It is not your classic E.Coli-bacteria. The incubation period is much longer (7 to 10 days).
Please stop spreading panic. If LSG would be the cause or in any way connected to this still local outbreak, we would already know as LSG has to store production samples on a daily basis and needs to keep them refrigerated for weeks to be able to defend themselves against people who claim they got e.g. EHEC on LH F. Also how should that work from a epidemiological point of view. The hotspot is northern germany (not even Hamburg), that is were people reside, if LSG would be part of the distribution chain, you would see hotspots all over the world. Even a connection to the local LSG shop in Hamburg is highly unlikely. Let me put it this way, the epidemoligists would love, if LSG would have been the source as then I case the case already would be solved since LSG has to document origins and production quite detailed.

Also, do not trivialize this potent bacteria and compare it to car crash victims. Yes, 17 dead because of HUS on a global scale is perhaps nothing special (still a tragedy), yet given the spread rate and mortality of normal E.coli strains in western civilizations, this is very significant and worrisome.

Last edited by mamb0; Jun 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since this has nothing to with Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners) I'm closing this thread. Discussions regarding potential pandemic effects may be started in OMNI or Newsstand. In fact a simple search for 'EHEC' on FT.com brings about a nice list of threads this was/is being talked about.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.