M&M Flight Award Booking - FAQ and Help Thread

Old Mar 27, 14, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Definitely no free changes allowed for me. So I will just wait until about 14 days out, and try and change the long haul date so I have a few more days in California. Maybe SWISS will free up some seats nearer the time, maybe they won't. The annoying thing is I can't even see the availability now without calling. And I don't think ANA is all that reliable for SWISS 1st class.
Just out of curiosity, how does the 50 EUR fee to change the flights compare to the YQ charges you paid for these awards?
Old Mar 27, 14, 6:43 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The taxes on the ticket in 1st class (DUS-ZRH-LAX-SFO) were a total EUR570 per ticket, which seems terribly expensive for what is supposed to be an award ticket. But I suppose it's a good deal for being able to travel in 1st (although 170,000 miles is a hell of a mark up from the previous 140,000). I could just about put up with the high taxes and YQ as a necessary evil if they stopped putting mileage prices up and randomly devaluing the programme.
Old May 22, 14, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
The M&M website says:

There is a charge of 50 or CHF 70/USD 60 to cancel a flight award. This amount may vary depending on the flight award or there may be no charge at all.

Does anyone have any insight into when the fee may vary from the stated 50, and in particular, under what circumstances would the fee be waived?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 14, 5:05 pm

I thought it was less to cancel an award, something like 25 Euros, and the 50 Euros fee was for date changes to the award (routing changes are not permitted). Might be worth checking, although you know how they keep inventing stupid new obstacles and rules which just appear from nowhere. It's a shame they couldn't invest some of that effort and energy into actually improving the programme.
Old May 23, 14, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
M&M charges on non-LH itineraries

Lufthansa wants more or less the same charges (YQ etc) for MAN CAI (direct, non-stop with MS) as it does for the LH-operated MAN FRA CAI.

Do M&M redemptions reflect the charges imposed by the airline doing the flying, or does Lufthansa impose its own brand of usury on tickets?

I rather got accustomed to Egyptair's pocket-friendly extras on redemptions with British Midland's Diamond Club.
Old May 23, 14, 9:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Do M&M redemptions reflect the charges imposed by the airline doing the flying, or does Lufthansa impose its own brand of usury on tickets?
The plating carrier decides the level of YQ.
Old May 23, 14, 12:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN** HH Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
The M&M website says:

There is a charge of 50 or CHF 70/USD 60 to cancel a flight award. This amount may vary depending on the flight award or there may be no charge at all.

Does anyone have any insight into when the fee may vary from the stated 50, and in particular, under what circumstances would the fee be waived?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I thought it was less to cancel an award, something like 25 Euros, and the 50 Euros fee was for date changes to the award (routing changes are not permitted). Might be worth checking, although you know how they keep inventing stupid new obstacles and rules which just appear from nowhere. It's a shame they couldn't invest some of that effort and energy into actually improving the programme.
I was charged 50 for cancelling an award a couple of years ago. However, I recently changed one segment of an F award when the carrier (not LH Group) downgraded the aircraft to a type without F. I asked to be rebooked on a more convenient flight with the same carrier in C for the same city pair (but different airports) and was not charged a change fee.
Old May 23, 14, 1:57 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

My experience: If they change something (cancelled or significantly re timed flight etc) you can change (and most likely also cancel) without any charge.

Without that it is 50 Euro for changing (only date, origin and destination have to stay intact etc) or cancelling
Old May 26, 14, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
So I guess that only involuntary changes (or changes arising from involuntary rerouting/downgrading etc) are not charged.

I would have expected this as standard - but didn't realise this was what was meant by the wording, which implies that the amount itself can also vary (and be a value other than 50 or 0) or even that, for some voluntary changes, no fee may be charged.

Thanks!
Old May 26, 14, 3:20 am

Yes, but it will have to be a significant involuntary change in order to be able to change things for free. If it is a change of schedule on one of the flights on the trip, unless it seriously messes things up, they will just expect to you accept it. I'm not even sure it would be possible to cancel for free.

My big problem is, I would like to change the dates of the trip (on LX with domestic American sectors on UA) but they told me it would not be possible to due to 'married segments'. I mean, how was I able to create the original ticket if this stupid 'married segments' rubbish is always used as a reason to not make an award ticket, which it seems to be these days?
Old Jun 9, 14, 11:58 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I got the lufthansa M&M card recently and will soon have 55k miles in my account.

I've been thinking about how to maximize the stopovers on from the lufthansa program. Since they are only allowed on two zone awards and can't be used in the zone you start, I'm assuming this will work

buy SFO-HNL using BA avios or other program.

with M&M, Book
HNL-SFO on United
stopover at SFO
RT SFO - domestic destination
2nd stopover at SFO
SFO-HNL on UA again

So this way you can have two round trip flights with one award.
Old Jun 10, 14, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro View Post
I got the lufthansa M&M card recently and will soon have 55k miles in my account.

I've been thinking about how to maximize the stopovers on from the lufthansa program. Since they are only allowed on two zone awards and can't be used in the zone you start, I'm assuming this will work

buy SFO-HNL using BA avios or other program.

with M&M, Book
HNL-SFO on United
stopover at SFO
RT SFO - domestic destination
2nd stopover at SFO
SFO-HNL on UA again

So this way you can have two round trip flights with one award.
I am not sure of what you are trying to do but bear in mind that: 1) you can make 1 stopover only with one return ticket, and 2) backtracking is not allowed.

For most destinations X, the location of SFO allows you to book HNL-SFO-X-HNL as 1 RT but HNL-X-SFO-HNL would not be possible.

AFAIK, HNL-SFO-X-SFO-HNL would always be ticketed as 2 RT.

In the (hypothetical) itineraries above I refer to the stopovers (> 24h) and not the segments. The flight X-HNL, for example, would most likely be X-SFO-HNL but the connection at SFO would be a layover and not a stopover.
Old Jun 16, 14, 10:56 pm

Hi, I have one question which maybe someone here can clear for me.

I am flying business and my wife is flying on a economy award seat, I booked her ticket with my MM Frequent Flyer, does LH pass your status to the person flying on the award ticket? I will like to know if she can enter the lounge at Frankfurt until we wait for the connection.

pd: if you readed the article about do you offer your upgrade to your boss, I did not get an upgrade but... yes I will be the one in Economy
Old Jun 16, 14, 11:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Unfortunately she won't have access to the lounge, only you as a C flyer will. And don't count on them making an exception, that almost never happens....
Old Jun 17, 14, 5:45 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by mmff View Post
I am not sure of what you are trying to do but bear in mind that: 1) you can make 1 stopover only with one return ticket, and 2) backtracking is not allowed.

For most destinations X, the location of SFO allows you to book HNL-SFO-X-HNL as 1 RT but HNL-X-SFO-HNL would not be possible.

AFAIK, HNL-SFO-X-SFO-HNL would always be ticketed as 2 RT.

In the (hypothetical) itineraries above I refer to the stopovers (> 24h) and not the segments. The flight X-HNL, for example, would most likely be X-SFO-HNL but the connection at SFO would be a layover and not a stopover.
Interesting. I thought the rule was one stopover in each direction of travel. I won't be doing any backtracking as I'd be going to east coast from SFO.

If only one stopover is allowed for a RT itinerary then I guess the itinerary I mentioned won't work.

Search this Thread