Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M Flight Award Booking - FAQ and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:38 pm

Maximum tranfer time on domestic awards

Does LH adhere to the standard 4-hour rule on transfers on domestic awards booked on UA metal? Or is it 24 hours just like any other award? Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:44 am

I'm trying to book a united flight to Hawaii with Lufthansa miles. I searched the united site for the saver level award and when I call Lufthansa they tell me nothing is available. I thought if the saver award is available on united it should be available for Lufthansa as well?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Change Fees for Rebooking 2nd leg of Round Trip

May I ask what are the change fees for rebooking the inbound leg of round trip? Can I use the SEN waitlist for rebooking the inbound leg should my preferred flight not have award availability?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I'm trying to book a united flight to Hawaii with Lufthansa miles. I searched the united site for the saver level award and when I call Lufthansa they tell me nothing is available. I thought if the saver award is available on united it should be available for Lufthansa as well?
A few thoughts...
  1. Phantom space does appear on the UA site from time to time. So that could be the reason.
  2. Did it involve a connection? If yes, call and give them the segment by segment routing. For some reason, many times the LH system cannot see connecting flights but can do it when they book segment by segment.
  3. Did you call the USA line? IME, They tend to be the least knowledgeable and least helpful. Try a Skype call to the UK line (which is based in Germany). For some reason, sometimes they can see space the US agents cannot.

Good luck and please do report back.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by yonatan
Does LH adhere to the standard 4-hour rule on transfers on domestic awards booked on UA metal? Or is it 24 hours just like any other award? Thanks.
Such a standard rule does not exist.
Only Mileage Plus has some special rules.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
Such a standard rule does not exist.
Only Mileage Plus has some special rules.
IIRC, SQ's KF also applies such a silly rule to US domestic flights even when connecting from an international long haul.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Global321
A few thoughts...
  1. Phantom space does appear on the UA site from time to time. So that could be the reason.
  2. Did it involve a connection? If yes, call and give them the segment by segment routing. For some reason, many times the LH system cannot see connecting flights but can do it when they book segment by segment.
  3. Did you call the USA line? IME, They tend to be the least knowledgeable and least helpful. Try a Skype call to the UK line (which is based in Germany). For some reason, sometimes they can see space the US agents cannot.

Good luck and please do report back.
I think the problem is one of my segments was on Hawaiian Airlines. The only flight they could find was all united metal.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I didn't say you could cancel online. For €50 you will get your miles plus taxes and fees refunded.

This screen suggests you should contact M&M if you want to cancel your award booking.
I may have to cancel or try to change an LH award.

1. On cancellation, the LH website appears to say that on a cancellation at least 24 hours before the start of the trip, miles will be redeposited (except for bargain awards) for a 50 euro fee, but that fees are not refunded. The common thinking here seems to be that fees (and taxes) are refunded. Anyone with actual experience or good authority on this?

2. On changing the award, are there general rukes that must be followed? For example, does the itinerary have to be completed within a year of the day the old itinerary was booked? Can the new itrinerary be a different type of award?

3. If a cancellation has the same charge as a rebooking, why would anyone rebook?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I may have to cancel or try to change an LH award.

1. On cancellation, the LH website appears to say that on a cancellation at least 24 hours before the start of the trip, miles will be redeposited (except for bargain awards) for a 50 euro fee, but that fees are not refunded. The common thinking here seems to be that fees (and taxes) are refunded. Anyone with actual experience or good authority on this?
You can cancel anytime. You can even do a no-show and cancel later but it's probably best to cancel before departure as a matter of courtesy. And you will get the fees and taxes refunded minus the 50€ fee.

2. On changing the award, are there general rukes that must be followed? For example, does the itinerary have to be completed within a year of the day the old itinerary was booked? Can the new itrinerary be a different type of award?
I think the origin and destination must remain the same. You may want to change a connecting flight to an earlier one while keeping other flights unchanged. I once changed NRT-ICN on OZ F to HND-GMP on OZ C while keeping ICN-FRA on LH F unchanged. I was prepared to pay a change fee since HND-GMP was more convenient but I wasn't charged any fee on this occasion because OZ had cancelled F between Tokyo and Seoul.

3. If a cancellation has the same charge as a rebooking, why would anyone rebook?

Thanks in advance.
It depends on the nature of changes but in some cases it would be best to cancel and book a new award.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Is YQ applied to SK awards?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I've been trying to piece together a simple overnight (well under 24 hour) layover in FRA/MUC from MAD but the online system doesn't seem to give the option.

MAD-FRA (overnight)
FRA-LAX

Does M&M online not allow this? Only recourse is to do it over the phone? TIA
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:42 pm

You have to call.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You can cancel anytime. You can even do a no-show and cancel later but it's probably best to cancel before departure as a matter of courtesy. And you will get the fees and taxes refunded minus the 50€ fee.

I think the origin and destination must remain the same. You may want to change a connecting flight to an earlier one while keeping other flights unchanged. I once changed NRT-ICN on OZ F to HND-GMP on OZ C while keeping ICN-FRA on LH F unchanged. I was prepared to pay a change fee since HND-GMP was more convenient but I wasn't charged any fee on this occasion because OZ had cancelled F between Tokyo and Seoul.

It depends on the nature of changes but in some cases it would be best to cancel and book a new award.
Thanks for the detailed response. Wound up taking the booked flights so I can't add to the knowledge base on cancellations.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by coffee18
Is YQ applied to SK awards?
Yes. But it is lower than YQ on LH flights.

For intra Nordic flights it is around 20 Euro. For European flights it may be higher (but I have no idea).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by frudd38
I've been trying to piece together a simple overnight (well under 24 hour) layover in FRA/MUC from MAD but the online system doesn't seem to give the option.

MAD-FRA (overnight)
FRA-LAX

Does M&M online not allow this? Only recourse is to do it over the phone? TIA
Originally Posted by Lack
You have to call.
Found some space now online, but 3 call centers can't seem to see either segments.. Is M&M known to show phantom for their own metal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.