M&M Flight Award Booking - FAQ and Help Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Lack
50 EUR.

As far as the cost of US domestic segments, it shouldn't be more the $2,5 for their security fee.
Thanks Lack I figure I'll book the award and then worry about any date changes later.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Would a ATH-FRA-MUC-SFO ticket be valid on a single award one way or would miles and more try to force a ATH-MUC-SFO routing?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:00 pm

open jaw possible?

On a 3-region award, is it possible to have a stopover on the outbound, plus an open-jaw on the return? e.g.

outbound: A - B - C
return: C - D/E - A

where C = final destination, B = stopover, D & E = the open jaw cities

Update: Just called SEN line and was told that open jaw can only be at the final destination, not the stopover point.

Last edited by sfvoyage; Feb 15, 2014 at 5:39 pm Reason: update after call to SEN line
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:08 am

Not possible to combine M&M availability from two segments?

Wanted to book an 'easy' oneway award today:

As usual, GRU-BRU didn't return any availability on the M&M site but GRU-MUC did in F and there were plenty of options between MUC-BRU in C too. I was quite surprised the M&M agent told me I was not allowed to combine this availability in one award ticket. She would have to book both segments as separate tickets. (And thus more miles would be required)

Didn't realize the extra Senator award availability is limited this way. Any advice how to handle this one? Book the GRU-MUC in F and keep checking afterwards until M&M releases the GRU-MUC-BRU availability? In worst case, I buy MUC-BRU as revenue ticket. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bartla
Wanted to book an 'easy' oneway award today:

As usual, GRU-BRU didn't return any availability on the M&M site but GRU-MUC did in F and there were plenty of options between MUC-BRU in C too. I was quite surprised the M&M agent told me I was not allowed to combine this availability in one award ticket. She would have to book both segments as separate tickets. (And thus more miles would be required)

Didn't realize the extra Senator award availability is limited this way. Any advice how to handle this one? Book the GRU-MUC in F and keep checking afterwards until M&M releases the GRU-MUC-BRU availability? In worst case, I buy MUC-BRU as revenue ticket. Thanks.
Hmm, married segments issue. Did you try using the SEN waitlist for it or just telling them you see the two segments available as awards? I'm not sure how their system reacts when you have an award on hold (possible without ticketing for up to a week) for GRU-MUC and then you call to add a segment on waitlist to BRU in C.

If that doesn't work and you don't want to book that F award for a single segment, you could:
a) try SEN award waitlist in C (if there's D fare available) and Business works for you
b) book RT F GRU-EU-GRU and add a stopover in MUC (from where you use your revenue MUC-BRU), and then you have a couple of almost free segments in Europe you can use. You could not book a stopover on a O/W award.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just checking this...
I found LH 380 F FRA-JFK.

Can I do FRA-JFK (lh f)
Stopover in NY.
Continue onward EWR-SEA (ua f)

That should be 85k per ticket right?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have received an email about a change of schedule on a multisegment award ticket:

Change of Reservation

Please note that a time change has arisen in your booking which you can find out about from the updated itinerary. If you need to rebook, please contact us within the next 14 days and we will inform you about possible alternatives. Rebooking requests received later than 14 days after the timetable change do not count as involuntary and will therefore be subject to the original fare conditions.

What has happened is that the times of the US connecting flights at the destination end of the ticket have changed by 20-60 minutes. I take this to mean they will offer me a ticket change (time changes only) without having to pay the fee for changing an award. If that is so, then that's great because I wanted to make a change anyway!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
I take this to mean they will offer me a ticket change (time changes only) without having to pay the fee for changing an award.
That is my understanding of the statement, too.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Anyone know if a stopover is allowed? The website says "check with our team" by I want basis before arguing.

Considering flying GRU-XXX-LAS-EWR and then JFK-GRU.

Is that possible,

1) Beacause there is a stopover?

2) Because it MIGHT be seen as a open jaw, since I arrive in EWR and depart from JFK?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Question How to use 38K miles?

I am currently based in Tunisia and have been trying to redeem the almost 38K miles I have left on my MM account for an award ticket to Europe (I need 40K for this, but I could easily get the additional 2K).

However, every time I check award availability, the amount that MM requires me to pay for tax and fees is greater than the cost of purchasing a ticket without miles redemption -- which makes my miles worthless.

2 questions:

1. Is it just me (and fellow passengers flying ex Tunis) or are the fees and tax charged by MM for award flight redemption way too high?

2. Any tips on alternative ways to use my miles? The only other thing that comes to mind right now is a *A upgrade from Y to C for 35K.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Odd Situation with Booking Engine

I am trying to book an award ticket for ATH-FRA on 4/25 on LH 1285 (departs Athens 6:35 a.m.). Flight is unavailable on LH Miles and More and also UA Mileage Plus site.

However, and this is the odd thing, flight IS available for an award ticket on both award sites if I search ATH-SEA.

I've heard of married segments for paid tickets but never of the same for award travel. Does anybody know if this is a glitch or happens a lot?

Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by janehoya
I've heard of married segments for paid tickets but never of the same for award travel.
LH uses the MSC logic on everything, so what you see is normal.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmff
That is my understanding of the statement, too.
Offer me a free change? No chance, even though the wording comes across as such. Here's what has happened: the LAX-SFO timings on an award tkt (DUS-ZRH-LAX-SFO) have changed in both directions by about 30 minutes to an hour. I have made the LAX-SFO segment one day after the DUS-ZRH-LAX trip, with a night at Los Angeles.

So I hoped to effect the following changes: DUS-ZRH departure one day earlier (layover in ZRH), keep the ZRH-LAX as planned, and now make the LAX-SFO immediately after the ZRH-LAX flight, not the following day. Impossible, said the agent, because the main long haul flight is not affected they can't do any changes. Certainly not for free.

Ok, I don't expect anything else from this programme, really, least of all the flexibility to be able to change something. So what about a paid change, to do the above, the DUS-ZRH the day before, then the ZRH-LAX-SFO all the way through (no stopovers)? Impossible, not allowed because of married segments and I would have to change the long haul segment too. Is it just me, or is this programme so crap it's unbelievable? Or should I try the Diamond Club trick of calling back until I get an amenable and competent agent? Can you really not make date and time changes, even by paying 50 Euros or whatever?

Last edited by Concerto; Mar 25, 2014 at 11:50 am Reason: edited for clarity
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH uses the MSC logic on everything, so what you see is normal.
Thank you! You've never steered me wrong in the past but I'm having a hard time understanding this logic.

At least now I know I know it isn't a glitch.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely no free changes allowed for me. So I will just wait until about 14 days out, and try and change the long haul date so I have a few more days in California. Maybe SWISS will free up some seats nearer the time, maybe they won't. The annoying thing is I can't even see the availability now without calling. And I don't think ANA is all that reliable for SWISS 1st class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.