Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 Business Class Experience [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by ssh
Hello, LH experts!

I am booked on an upcoming FRA-IAH (LH440) flight which will be my first time on an A380 (shocking, I know. I lost my AvGeek card over this!). In reading through this thread, there seems to be some agreement that the rear "mini-cabin" is a good choice, and it's currently largely empty on this flight. I like the smaller feel of the mini-cabins on the 777 and the upper deck of the 747, but did read the comment that there's a bit more movement in the back and am curious for any thoughts on that.

Also, any difference in cabin noise in the different sections of business?

I'm currently in 23K, but there are some other window seats at the rear of the larger cabin (I think I'd like having the cubby for storage next to my seat, and I don't like the "footsie playing" of the /\ center section.

Any thoughts or advice you'd care to offer? TIA!
hey ssh,
as you can see from my post, I also had my first A380 flights recently...!
as to your questions about main cabin vs. aft. mini cabin in C, I would say the seat maps pre-departure can be misleading. My flights also had some empty seats at the back, but by the time the doors closed, C was all full. I think there are quite a bit of staff flying plus stand-by/op-up pax. You know its staff when the crew and/or pilots come to have a small chat and its a family traveling...

The other thing to consider is whether you want to be ahead at immigration upon arrival at IAH. Since the A380 has simultaneous upper and lower deck boarding/de-planing, don't forget the Y pax from the lower deck are also getting off at the same time as the premium pax from the upper deck. Which means, if you are in the mini cabin at the back, you really won't be ahead of the pack by the time you enter the terminal.

Regarding cabin noise, the A380 is quiet, but I was expecting even quieter based on how everyone raves about it...let's just put it this way, you can still fart and not be heard in the cabin...lol...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:10 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
hey ssh,
as you can see from my post, I also had my first A380 flights recently...!
as to your questions about main cabin vs. aft. mini cabin in C, I would say the seat maps pre-departure can be misleading. My flights also had some empty seats at the back, but by the time the doors closed, C was all full. I think there are quite a bit of staff flying plus stand-by/op-up pax. You know its staff when the crew and/or pilots come to have a small chat and its a family traveling...

The other thing to consider is whether you want to be ahead at immigration upon arrival at IAH. Since the A380 has simultaneous upper and lower deck boarding/de-planing, don't forget the Y pax from the lower deck are also getting off at the same time as the premium pax from the upper deck. Which means, if you are in the mini cabin at the back, you really won't be ahead of the pack by the time you enter the terminal.

Regarding cabin noise, the A380 is quiet, but I was expecting even quieter based on how everyone raves about it...let's just put it this way, you can still fart and not be heard in the cabin...lol...

What an awesome description! Thanks for the laugh on a Sunday afternoon (I'm actually home in Colorado for a change)!

Thanks so much for the response!

Got it on all points. I'm GE, so the backup at passport control usually doesn't effect me too much. It's been a while since I went through at IAH, but I don't anticipate it being a big deal (hand luggage only). In looking at the various videos, I definitely like the look of the mini-cabin better. The other C cabin really does look like an Air Bus.

I love the 787 for the more quiet environment and greater air pressure. I'm hoping to enjoy the A380 as much. Thanks, again!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by ssh

What an awesome description! Thanks for the laugh on a Sunday afternoon (I'm actually home in Colorado for a change)!

Thanks so much for the response!

Got it on all points. I'm GE, so the backup at passport control usually doesn't effect me too much. It's been a while since I went through at IAH, but I don't anticipate it being a big deal (hand luggage only). In looking at the various videos, I definitely like the look of the mini-cabin better. The other C cabin really does look like an Air Bus.

I love the 787 for the more quiet environment and greater air pressure. I'm hoping to enjoy the A380 as much. Thanks, again!
lol...you are welcome!
Enjoy your flight!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: LH HON**, Bonvoy Titanium
In my opinion, there is little difference between the cabins especially now with the "restaurant" service. The window seats have the perk of having tons of storage in the side bins on the A380, which comes in handy when you want to work. The 26 row, which really had the very best seats, has now disappeared with the premium economy revamp. Otherwise I am a big A380 fan, given the quietness and the space.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:39 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Thank you. I'm not sure the implication of the "restaurant" service is, but it appears that the mini-cabin might have a bit more quiet and feel a little more intimate. I think I'll stay back there to give it a go. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by ssh
Thank you. I'm not sure the implication of the "restaurant" service is, but it appears that the mini-cabin might have a bit more quiet and feel a little more intimate. I think I'll stay back there to give it a go. Thanks so much!
I was just in 19C for HKG FRA HKG, and really don't see anything special about "restaurant service". Perhaps it's because the passenger load was light (~50%) but it seems to be one stewardess who managed my zone on the left aisle. The one thing that stuck out vs. other airlines is that there are no trays and each course gets placed on to your table individually, so it's a lot of work for them.

I tried 19A, the window seat and found the footwell cramped enough that it was not great for sleeping, so the trade off is bin storage vs. cramped footwell. If I ever fly the LH A380 again I will stick with an aisle seat.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
Seat Choice in Business on A380

After some research, I saw the consensus that Rows 26-27 "mini-cabin" on the A380 provide the best experience due to the more private cabin and the fact that LH conducts service from back to front on this aircraft.

However, I'm flying in the version of the A380 that ends in Row 24 tomorrow (HKG-FRA). Right now, I have a choice between aisle seats in Row 21 (closest to the lavs/galley in front) or Row 24 (closest to the mini Econ section behind).

Any advice on which is preferable? Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:31 pm

Sorry for the bump, but can anyone help before my flight tonight?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
go for row 24, best there is! very quite since all the traffic for other Pax and lavatories are furhter up. I used to like 20 bulkhead, no more.

I will be sitting in row 24 center aisle tomorrow :-)
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by vielflieger
go for row 24, best there is! very quite since all the traffic for other Pax and lavatories are furhter up. I used to like 20 bulkhead, no more.

I will be sitting in row 24 center aisle tomorrow :-)
Thanks for the advice!

So the proximity to the Y cabin is not an issue? I was concerned there might be some Y passengers coming through to use the C lavatories?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
there is a curtain between the 2 cabins, also Y has 2 lavs in the back they use so no issue
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by vielflieger
there is a curtain between the 2 cabins, also Y has 2 lavs in the back they use so no issue
Excellent. I've moved myself to 24H. Thanks again!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:26 am

24H (or rather 23H, since I was asked to switch by its designated occupant so he could be next to his travel companion) was a great suggestion. The smaller cabin at the back offers some sense of intimacy that is completely lost in the massive main C cabin on the A380.

Thanks again for the advice, vielflieger!

For those interested, I documented my experience onboard here.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I am flying LH457 LAX-FRA and have selected row 24 in the back. I am quite tall 6'7 and have large feet. Is there a difference in footwell size on the 388 with bulkhead rows having better footwells for people with large shoe size?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by piemel
I am flying LH457 LAX-FRA and have selected row 24 in the back. I am quite tall 6'7 and have large feet. Is there a difference in footwell size on the 388 with bulkhead rows having better footwells for people with large shoe size?

Bulkhead seats IMHO have less "foot room" than the regular ones. I have a European size 46 and feel more comfortable regarding the foot space in the regular seat. I have the Feeling that the height of the "foot hole" is bigger in the regualr seat, but anyhow my püick would always be bulkhead if availiable, row 21 in the middle. Hope this helps. Might have a picture somewhere if you need to visualize :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.