Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 2:24 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Crazy things happen. BRU seems to be a "hotspot" for these things.

I am in between two legs originating from a German airport and carry a trolley (10kg, max LH-legal size) and a laptop backpack 40-30-10cm (i.e. the perfect LH personal item), as always -- never any issues so far (touch wood).
The only time I had issues carrying a similar configuration of hand luggage on board was when I was sitting in an exit row seat and the gate staff in MUC said that I either have to check my trolley or move out to a different seat (non emergency exit row). The plane was 1/3 empty and when I told the crew on board they just shook their head. They asked me to wait until boarding was complete and then I was invited to move back to the emergency exit row where I had my original seat assignment. The row was completely empty and the overhead bin did have enough space to hold both my backpack and the trolley. *facepalm*
Old May 23, 2019, 2:25 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by cas_de
The only time I had issues carrying a similar configuration of hand luggage on board was when I was sitting in an exit row seat and the gate staff in MUC said that I either have to check my trolley or move out to a different seat (non emergency exit row). The plane was 1/3 empty and when I told the crew on board they just shook their head. They asked me to wait until boarding was complete and then I was invited to move back to the emergency exit row where I had my original seat assignment. The row was completely empty and the overhead bin did have enough space to hold both my backpack and the trolley. *facepalm*
BCN and its outsourced staff is normally the only place where I get in trouble regarding my carry on.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
At FRA today the fraulien gate agent tried to stop us when we scanned our BPs. However she got tied up with something else so we just stopped briefly and then continued on to the plane with our 21” rollaboards. which naturally had no problem fitting into the spacious A320 overhead bins. 👍 and plenty of space in business class bins.

I resent the selective enforcement as I saw numerous other business types boarding with similar 21” bags.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:36 am

How strict is Lufthansa with carry on luggage weight?

I am flying PDX-ORD-MUC-PRG in August for a week in business. I'm not too worried about the first two legs, booked on UA metal, it's the MUC-PRG leg that has me concerned. I typically travel with my cabin bag and a personal item. Both are within the baggage requirement for UAL but my carry on will definitely be above the 8kg limit. I'm gold on UAL, if that makes any difference. I'ts been a long time since I've taken an inter-european flight, so I was just wondering other people's experience. Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I am flying PDX-ORD-MUC-PRG in August for a week in business. I'm not too worried about the first two legs, booked on UA metal, it's the MUC-PRG leg that has me concerned. I typically travel with my cabin bag and a personal item. Both are within the baggage requirement for UAL but my carry on will definitely be above the 8kg limit. I'm gold on UAL, if that makes any difference. I'ts been a long time since I've taken an inter-european flight, so I was just wondering other people's experience. Thanks!
If you are flying MUC-PRG in business you can take two carry-ons 8kg each plus a personal item. If necessary be prepared to take some stuff out of your carry-on as the second hand luggage. *G only gives you an extra checked bag.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Highly dependent on who you chance on at the check-in counter. I recently flew LH multiple times and only got carry-on weighed once, at IAH check-in counter.

As NR said, be prepared to move stuff to checked luggage if necessary.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Msafiritx
As NR said, be prepared to move stuff to checked luggage if necessary.
No need to check anything. Just put whatever you can in a separate bag or carrier as a second carry-on if necessary.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
No need to check anything. Just put whatever you can in a separate bag or carrier as a second carry-on if necessary.
I respectfully disagree: moving excess to checked luggage is a more practical option. Not many people will have a second empty bag in waiting, plus the inconvenience of lugging 2 carry-ons and a personal item is less than ideal.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:52 pm

I respectfully disagree: moving excess to checked luggage is a more practical option. Not many people will have a second empty bag in waiting, plus the inconvenience of lugging 2 carry-ons and a personal item is less than ideal.
I'm not planning on checking any luggage but I suppose, worst case scenario is they gate check my carry-on bag. 8 kilos is just not a lot.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
UA is not going to care if the carry-on is over 8kg in PDX. LH might in MUC. Once at the gate in FRA, potential for disaster is small but not zero, especially if the bag is well over 8kg and and/or is pushing the limits on size. Gate checking is not always an option.

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I'm not planning on checking any luggage but I suppose, worst case scenario is they gate check my carry-on bag. 8 kilos is just not a lot.
Note that gate-checking is not always an option in MUC, and it could become an aggravating day if a walk to a customer service point becomes necessary to check the carry-on. I would recommend having a small fabric tote or duffel (there are cheap ones that weigh next to nothing and take up practically no space--the ones that often come in the LH business class amenities kits these days work well in a pinch) on-hand in the unlikely event your bag is rejected at the gate.

Yea, keeping a carry-on bag to the 8kg limit is a royal pain, but it is one of the challenges with some airlines, and sometimes at the rules are more strict than others. My experience is that being a little prepared can go a long way toward avoiding a major hassle at the gate.

Last edited by N1003U; Jul 2, 2019 at 2:12 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by N1003U
I would recommend having a small fabric tote or duffel (there are cheap ones that weigh next to nothing and take up practically no space--the ones that often come in the LH business class amenities kits these days work well in a pinch) on-hand in the unlikely event your bag is rejected at the gate.
That’s exactly what I had in mind. One of those Reisenthel shopping bags. Or something like what oliver2002 posted earlier in this thread.

There’s no need to lug two carry-ons. Before leaving the aircraft (or as soon as boarding the flight) the OP can put back the content of the shopping bag into the main carry-on.

Make sure the size of the carry-on does not exceed the limit in case they have something like this back in MUC.

MUC: Visual detection of handluggage
N1003U likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So ran into problems again (see post #600 about checking in at NAP).

This time, on a business class ticket, SFO-FRA-FLR and VCE-MUC-SFO.

They weigh my rollerboard and day it’s 15 kg. Actually between 14 and 15 kg. They say I have to check it in. I tell them it’s full of electronics with lithium batteries, including laptop and several drone batteries.

They say take some things out. So I remove the laptop, which cuts 1.5 to 2 kg. They say if I remove enough from the roller board and carry separately, I can carry those items, the laptop and a packing cube with some electronics, as well as the roller board itself, on board the Embraer.

Again it’s a third party company contracted by LH.

Ridiculous solution because as soon as I clear security, I’m just going to put that stuff back in my rollerboard.

On top of that I bought some duty free, probably 1-2 kilos worth of foods to take back as gifts.

Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by wco81

They weigh my rollerboard and day it’s 15 kg

Ridiculous solution because as soon as I clear security, I’m just going to put that stuff back in my rollerboard.

On top of that I bought some duty free, probably 1-2 kilos worth of foods to take back as gifts.

They were just enforcing the rules, which are published, your lucky they didn’t ask to gate check the roller board
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
So ran into problems again (see post #600 about checking in at NAP).

This time, on a business class ticket, SFO-FRA-FLR and VCE-MUC-SFO.

They weigh my rollerboard and day it’s 15 kg. Actually between 14 and 15 kg. They say I have to check it in. I tell them it’s full of electronics with lithium batteries, including laptop and several drone batteries.

They say take some things out. So I remove the laptop, which cuts 1.5 to 2 kg. They say if I remove enough from the roller board and carry separately, I can carry those items, the laptop and a packing cube with some electronics, as well as the roller board itself, on board the Embraer

Agree with your sentiment but please - which airport hassled you? I have never been stopped at SFO but would like to know if that has changed. We all know about FRA
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by chris63

They were just enforcing the rules, which are published, your lucky they didn’t ask to gate check the roller board
At least with a gate check the odds are in your favor that your bag will be on that plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.