Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I'm with the OP. Lufthansa is one of the most rigid when it comes to carryons in premium cabins. For that reason they are far down on my list of preferred carriers. Shame because I do like the onboard service quite a bit.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
I'm with the OP. Lufthansa is one of the most rigid when it comes to carryons in premium cabins. For that reason they are far down on my list of preferred carriers. Shame because I do like the onboard service quite a bit.
I tend to agree with you. I still fly them but only if I do not have to check in at the counter. I have had a similar problem with BA.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
What airport are you departing from? I do not excuse it but in the USA I have (and friends have) noticed different airports have different levels of enforcement and it probably stems from whomever is the shift manager.

I remember being very wary flying LH business class but nobody said a word about my carry-on which is definitely at the max for a US carrier and typically over 30 pounds. Sounds like maybe I got lucky (LAX, and DXB).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N1003U

I agree with fassy about OS at VIE. OS will sometimes set up a portable scale at security and check everything that does not have a fresh cabin baggage tag on it, and reject anything overweight. OS can be extremely strict.
OS at VIE was the only time I've EVER had a carry-on weighed. I was with my mother. Mine passed but her's was too heavy. They let her go with a warning and told her repack before the next flight.

That said, I believe LH is the only airline that has ever made me put my (very compliant) carry-on into a sizer, and it's happened at a few different airports. It always fits.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SheratonPromiseGuy
...I have been stopped and forced to check a bag over a dozen times on Lufthansa. Not every time, but at least 30% of the time they weigh carry on bags...
If I bang my head against a wall three or four or over a dozen times, and each time I end up with a headache, my logical course of action is to shout from the rooftops that the wall is unnecessarily hard.

In all seriousness, by your own words you've handed Lufthansa your money over a dozen times. I'm not sure why you'd expect them to change their policies if you're not challenging their policies at the point of sale.
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: spg
While I have given them my money dozens of times, there were a couple hundred times I went out of my way to not give them my money. The purpose of this post is to warn other business travelers, so they don’t suffer the same way. LH spends a lot of time trying to improve the experience, but they just miss the boat on this fundamental topic when compared to other competitor experiences. Besides BA, AA is 40 lbs per item, KLM is 26 pounds, Delta is not limited by weight, etc.

I understand the certification/safety argument, but I don’t buy it relative to the experience with others. If I had a choice between Uber and Lyft, but Lyft made me wear a helmet in their car then, yes, Lyft would be safer, but way way off from an expected norm in the industry.

I experience this this at almost every airport. US, Europe, India. They often ask at the check in desk, but also at the gate.

Today they asked at the at the desk and the gate. Ironic, since I am flying in a 747 First cabin where I have a massive storage locker at ground level (not overhead).

After scanning my ticket at the gate today the gate agent had the audacity to tell me I could repack my bag to take 4kg away there in the jetway. While barking over and over that “everyone must follow the rules”. ...?? I’m going to spread my dirty underwear out right there in the middle of the boarding process??

in contrast, Emirates and Etihad have very similar weight policies, but in over 100 flights with them I’ve never been asked to weigh a carry on bag in business or first.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by andywaw
OP, your rude vocabulary is totally unacceptable, no matter how often you travel or how much you pay for your flight. And a word of advice, why don't you just buy another carry on bag, Lufthansa allows TWO carry on bags in Business Class. This way you will have over 35 pounds of weight in total. You're welcome.
Unless OP edited his post I don't see any reason to take him to task. BTW TWO carryo ns are not practical for some !
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by HMPS
Unless OP edited his post I don't see any reason to take him to task. BTW TWO carryo ns are not practical for some !
It states, at the bottom of the OP’s post, that they have edited it. And the time they did so.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:23 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
How large is your carry-on bag? In my experience, in order to draw the attention of the employees, it must be too large to begin with.

HTB.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by SheratonPromiseGuy
Not every time, but at least 30% of the time they weigh carry on bags.
Really? 30%?

What bag do you usually use as a carry on? I am asking as I have been LH SEN for a while, with 50-100 segments per year, and have never, literally never been asked to weigh my carry-on. And I rarely ever check bags.

One of the bags I like to use is a 46 liter carry on, with tons of space and often overweight:
https://www.worldshop.eu/de/product/...?p=oyvWQNbQFkQ

Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:22 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I may not be an extreme frequent flyer, but I have gotten around a bit. And neither on LX nor on LH I’ve been once, in the last 15 years, asked to weight my (usually two) carryons. And they have been 1-3 kg above the limit sometimes.

I remember a particular scene in MUC recently when I was flying to Zurich together with a *G on an ERJ190, i.e very limited overhead space. I (m&m base card was stuck in my reservation and I don’t have any other high status) was carrying the hand luggage for the *G (they are allowed two pieces) and would have explained so if necessary during boarding, but I was not even asked or looked at!

I might just be lucky or you may be unlucky, but my experience is a lot different than yours.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
???????

Do I understand this correctly?
This thread is about an airline that enforces carry on weight wich is clearly written in their carry on policy?
If yes why is someone flying with that airline when he or she doesn't be ok with this policy?
Grog, trooper and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Without endorsing OP's rant, I must say that it is less than ideal for LH to publish an overly strict carry-on weight limit, and then enforce it only randomly. It creates considerable uncertainty whether you will be able to carry-on a normal sized but technically non-compliant bag. But LH is hardly the only non-US carrier to do this.

BTW, to my knowledge, no major US carrier imposes a weight limit on carry-ons. The limits are all based on physical dimensions.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by zappa42m
Do I understand this correctly?
This thread is about an airline that enforces carry on weight wich is clearly written in their carry on policy?
If yes why is someone flying with that airline when he or she doesn't be ok with this policy?
Because it is stupid? But that is typica German inflexibility.

Have you seen the locker in first-class?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Because it is stupid? But that is typica German inflexibility.

Have you seen the locker in first-class?
My standard carryon doesn’t fit in the locker in F. And it’s just a plain old 45 inch.

zappa42... for premium pax I expect the published hand baggage allowances are ‘guidance’ only. If you are taking a few kg over it shouldn’t be an issue.
N1003U likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.