Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
OK updated their cabin luggage guidelines: 1 piece 8 KG in coach, 2 piece 12KG in Business:

Have now been on daily intra Europe for a week and a half , all in C , new and old. Only comment I can give is new C is *I&%*&% ,in every aspect. On several of the flights they forced C passengers to check their roll -on , regardless of size and weight , and just keep their briefcase , they let me slip through as a HON , but nevertheless new C is a joke.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
mr.pliner's tale of how a carry on discussion at the gate can quickly get out of hand...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...i-got-hit.html
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by seat 1a
Have now been on daily intra Europe for a week and a half , all in C , new and old. Only comment I can give is new C is *I&%*&% ,in every aspect. On several of the flights they forced C passengers to check their roll -on , regardless of size and weight , and just keep their briefcase , they let me slip through as a HON , but nevertheless new C is a joke.
Makes me feel better that I just today decided not to book LH on some upcoming short haul but am taking the train instead. I am curious to know how my 'laptop bag' which contains a laptop but isn't an official laptop case would fare, but not curious enough to take the risk at the moment.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:38 pm

By the way, how comes you have often seen people remove tags from their luggage, then take it on board to then be told again to check it in? Or are you talking about gate checking of bags like you do on small aircrafts?
The luggage was labeled at the gate and removed while walking through the jetbridge ... the FA had information about whos bag was labeled. A new tag was putted on it. Very embarrassing for the passenger! In other cases the FA didn't realize that the hand baggage was labeled. Last couple of weeks, administration staff was sometimes observing boarding process in the jetbridge and asked passengers to leave their checked bags right there.

Today at the gate in MUC, they didn't just check the size and counted the pieces but checked the weight as well! Some very funny discussions occurred with angry SENs. Behaved like little children and as rules wouldnt apply for them.

Makes me feel better that I just today decided not to book LH on some upcoming short haul but am taking the train instead. I am curious to know how my 'laptop bag' which contains a laptop but isn't an official laptop case would fare, but not curious enough to take the risk at the moment.
If you just have one bag with a laptop you shouldn't have a problem.

Congratulations on your first post, LaPlanche!
Thanks! Was reading for a very long time. I'm very sensitive about the hand luggage topic and thats why I joined this discussion. Had some very bad experience. Not because I had problems with my luggage, but with somebody else's trolley which caused serious injuries!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by LaPlanche
If you just have one bag with a laptop you shouldn't have a problem.
My concern is that in order to lighten my load I switched from a Titan to a Longchamp tote. I carry one regular laptop, one netbook size, and at least power source as well as smaller electronics. If people are reporting challenges with the 'extra' piece my fear is that someone may claim that it isn't a laptop bag. Because the rules appear to be unevenly applied at the moment I do not want to take the risk for now.

For several years now I have watched as LH weighed the bags at the B gates at ORD for Economy cabin passengers, and had no issues with those large, overstuffed trolleys being denied. But even though I officially am within the limits, this thread makes me think that I won't necessarily be safe. And I find it silly to have to go back to taking the heavier bag just in case when I am already doing my part to lighten the load.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
A friend flew MUC-ADB last weekend and was surprised with the vigour with which the two service agents were going after pax. He head two carryons and thought as a SEN he was allowed the C limit of two.

In MUC, the service agent was pretty (lets say) insistent and didn't hit the right tone in German, so who knows how his comments may sound in English. They were tagging bags like crazy.

In ADB, the LH staff knew him well so he got onboard but got a stern look from the gate agent after they did the manual 'arm lift' check of weight. Since he was op-uped to 1A, the missing overhead bin space hit him and the FAs stored his stuff in the wardrobe, but were not very happy either as it took away any available space in one go.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:56 am

the FAs stored his stuff in the wardrobe.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH/LO SEN, AF/KLM Platinum (Lite)
Somehow I didn't experience LH shorthoul this year yet (and now not looking forward to it very much), but I am sorry to read that... tagging SEn's and often even C class passengers trolleys, eliminating wardrobe for C...

aren't C pax and elites the ones who actually bring most revenue for the airline???

what does it really matter if the C pax has a 8 or 11 kg bag??? or even 15kg?
he/she is usually paying quite a lot of money for the travel!

what is the sense for such actions? is really getting maybe extra two cheap economy seats onboard (most of the time probably empty anyway) worth getting upset C pax and elite pax?

just my 2c

Last edited by JayPS; Apr 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
In MUC, the service agent was pretty (lets say) insistent and didn't hit the right tone in German, so who knows how his comments may sound in English. They were tagging bags like crazy.
In the past three month I have spoken to many FA, purser, PA and 4 station manager. Nobody is happy with NEK and the hand baggage thing. They are apologetic from the get go and encourage to complain.

It really is annoying.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:01 pm
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by mamb0
In the past three month I have spoken to many FA, purser, PA and 4 station manager. Nobody is happy with NEK and the hand baggage thing. They are apologetic from the get go and encourage to complain.

It really is annoying.
Interesting. Are they saying the same about the seats and catering, or just the hand baggage?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
This is one reason I am not looking forward to my travels inside Europe in June.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:39 am

aren't C pax and elites the ones who actually bring most revenue for the airline???

what does it really matter if the C pax has a 8 or 11 kg bag??? or even 15kg?
he/she is usually paying quite a lot of money for the travel!
Of course, C pax and elites bring a lot of revenue. And why shouldn't rules apply for them? Do they consider themselves as God and can do whatever they want? That is exactly the egoistic behavior a lot of people are complaining about, even FAs and FMs: "I'm elite, I do what I want". With Lufthansa, no elite can complain about too little special treatment (Lounges, Limos, Check-In, FC/T, ...)! It's definitely a difference if a 8kg or 15kg trolley falls on your neck. As far as I recognized it, the gate staff had a tolerance until 10kg. And in C, pax can have 2 pieces of 8kg each.

After the introduction of NEK, the FA's union, UFO, took legal actions against Lufthansa due to the limited space for carry ons and more people on board. In consequence, Lufthansa restarted the Baggage Excellence campaign. All FAs I know are really happy about labeling hand baggage at the gate! It means less stress for them on board. Gate staff is annoyed bcs they have to argue with some little children, pardon me, SENs and HONs. In MUC, the Schengen gates are mostly staffed with one agent and two when the flight is almost full (or FRA flights). Of course they are annoyed when they have to board, answer questions, sometimes do an additional document check and label bags within 20min! The loader are annoyed as well as they have to climb up the jet bridge and collect all the bags several times. Therefore, the present situation is probably just an interim solution.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by AHN
Interesting. Are they saying the same about the seats and catering, or just the hand baggage?
Seats, missing lockers/wardrobes and hand baggage... Food concept was not a topic.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH/LO SEN, AF/KLM Platinum (Lite)
Originally Posted by LaPlanche
Of course, C pax and elites bring a lot of revenue. And why shouldn't rules apply for them? Do they consider themselves as God and can do whatever they want? That is exactly the egoistic behavior a lot of people are complaining about, even FAs and FMs: "I'm elite, I do what I want". With Lufthansa, no elite can complain about too little special treatment (Lounges, Limos, Check-In, FC/T, ...)! It's definitely a difference if a 8kg or 15kg trolley falls on your neck. As far as I recognized it, the gate staff had a tolerance until 10kg. And in C, pax can have 2 pieces of 8kg each. .

I don't think you actually understood my point.
Handluggage space in C cabin and weight limit rules are not the act of God.
I don't mean breaking the rules, I mean simply configuring the cabin and setting the rules in such way, that would fulfill the needs of the people willing to pay much more for the travel or those travelling really frequently with the given airline.

One of the reasons to buy C ticket on shorthaul fligts is often ability to take more handlugggage or to have a jacket properly hanged for the journey (maybe small thing, but important for many of us).

If the bag is too heavy to be put in the overhead compartment (some other airlines have less restrictive rules though) it could be stored in the sufficient wardrobe (if the wardrobe exists).
Nowadays as we could read from the previous posts, with the new cabin concept, even the 2x8kg for C rule is not always observed and the pax are asked to check in their trolleys much more often.

As you can read above, it makes many pax upset - and the outcome can make LH less atractive for many potential business class travellers, especially those living outside Germany, who can sometimes choose as convenient connection with other airline.

Do I want to break the rules - no.
Do I want the rules to be sufficient for my needs if I am paying a few times more for the ticket or if I spent annualy a considarable amount of money with the airline/alliance - yes.

Last edited by JayPS; Apr 10, 2011 at 4:08 pm
Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by JayPS
I don't think you actually understood my point.
Handluggage space in C cabin and weight limit rules are not the act of God.
I don't mean breaking the rules, I mean simply configuring the cabin and setting the rules in such way, that would fulfill the needs of the people willing to pay much more for the travel or those travelling really frequently with the given airline.

One of the reasons to buy C ticket on shorthaul fligts is often ability to take more handlugggage or to have a jacket properly hanged for the journey (maybe small thing, but important for many of us).

If the bag is too heavy to be put in the overhead compartment (some other airlines have less restrictive rules though) it could be stored in the sufficient wardrobe (if the wardrobe exists).
Nowadays as we could read from the previous posts, with the new cabin concept, even the 2x8kg for C rule is not always observed and the pax are asked to check in their trolleys much more often.

As you can read above, it makes many pax upset - and the outcome can make LH less atractive for many potential business class travellers, especially those living outside Germany, who can sometimes choose as convenient connection with other airline.

Do I want to break the rules - no.
Do I want the rules to be sufficient for my needs if I am paying a few times more for the ticket or if I spent annualy a considarable amount of money with the airline/alliance - yes.
Prawilno! A cogent response, accurately summing up what many of us think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.