Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
The posted signs during check-in and boarding in FRA are ominous, so I weighed mine. You may need to note the airport and route so others can be more precise in responding.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carry-on restrictions are set by the operating carrier of your flight. Does not matter how you booked it. LH is generally quite strict.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Avoid the check-in counters and you will be fine (unless it is obvious for the gate agent that your carry-on weight is a lot more than 8 kilo).
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wwtraveler1286
Biz booked on UA, flying LH. I'm assuming LH baggage rules apply here. How serious are they for carry-on baggage to be 8kg?
Originally Posted by Often1
Carry-on restrictions are set by the operating carrier of your flight. Does not matter how you booked it. LH is generally quite strict.
in business? Never had any issues with LH when flying C or F.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by cfischer
in business? Never had any issues with LH when flying C or F.
Agree. J/F hand luggage never an issue. Make sure you use the dedicated J/F boarding lines at the gate. They frequently check coach cabin bags, but I've never seen them pull aside folk in the premium lines.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Cannot agree. As posted above, I have been hassled several times (as recently as last year) by the fraulein at the gate just before or after I go thru the automated boarding pass scanner. In some ways business class is worse as you are the first through and easy to spot (can't hide in the crowd while agents are busy with others). It is crazy that LH is still enforcing this rule with the current loads but I guess it give the staff something to do and a feeling of power.

That said I never have a problem at outstations like SFO, DEN, SVO, etc. - only at FRA.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:22 am

Lufthansa - Baggage/Carry-ons

We'll be flying with Lufthansa Business Class in June (from LAX-FRA-MUC-ATH). How strict are they with the carry-on luggage? From what I understand, they allow two carryons however it is not allowed in the USA. I am thinking of bringing 22 inches luggage and backpack. Would that be an issue?

Last edited by KDHawaii; Mar 20, 2022 at 12:50 pm Reason: Corrected title
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
The official hand baggage rules for Lufthansa are as follows:
As carry-on baggage, you can take one item of baggage with you, such as a trolley case, a compact, foldable baby buggy or a foldable garment bag, or two items in Business or First Class.
Dimensions for carry-on baggage: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm
Dimensions for foldable garment bags: max. 57 x 54 x 15 cm
Maximum weight of each bag: 8 kg.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia, Accor Plat
Never seen it enforced of any sort on LH group (especially in business)
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by athome
The official hand baggage rules for Lufthansa are as follows:
As carry-on baggage, you can take one item of baggage with you, such as a trolley case, a compact, foldable baby buggy or a foldable garment bag, or two items in Business or First Class.
Dimensions for carry-on baggage: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm
Dimensions for foldable garment bags: max. 57 x 54 x 15 cm
Maximum weight of each bag: 8 kg.
According to LH website:

On certain flights with Lufthansa Regional or where country-specific variations apply (flights from Italy, India and the USA), First and Business Class passengers must check in their second piece of carry-on baggage.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Flying MSY-IAH-FRA-NCE in J with US-compliant carry-on luggage only (Travelpro 20" spinner, about 30lbs). Single record ticket purchased from UA, originally all UA metal, but now re-booked on LH for IAH-FRA-NCE due to a cancellation. I presume we'll have no problem as far as FRA, not sure about the last leg. Will LH let us carry our bags for FRA-NCE, or will we have to check them? If we have to check them, is a 3.5 hour lay-over enough time to take care of it?

(x-posted from UA forum)
Old May 20, 2022, 12:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The official weight limit is 8KG, but agents eyeball and let you thru if the bag is decently sized. Worst case they will take it away from you at the gate of the NCE flight and check it there, no need to go to a checkin desk.
jg70124 likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
FYI our bags did *not* fit in the bins in the upper level biz class cabin IAH-FRA. The flight attendants were nice enough to stow them in their closet.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:45 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by jg70124
FYI our bags did *not* fit in the bins in the upper level biz class cabin IAH-FRA. The flight attendants were nice enough to stow them in their closet.
Normal procedure on LH 747, easy just left of the stairs convenient for deboarding.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The official weight limit is 8KG, but agents eyeball and let you thru if the bag is decently sized. Worst case they will take it away from you at the gate of the NCE flight and check it there, no need to go to a checkin desk.
The only time I ever had my cabin bags weighed and rejected was a few years ago at CPH, because the check in was managed by SAS. I was so mad that I insisted in repacking my bags at the check in counter.

Moral of the story: if checkin is managed by another alliance partner, make sure to do OLCI and skip the checkin counters.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.