Wiki Posts
Search

customs when transiting FRA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
customs when transiting FRA?

Am on a CO Business reward ticket from PHL to Dublin via FRA. Do I clear customs in FRA or in DUB? First time flying through FRA or on LH.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
If your luggage is checked through to DUB, then you will clear customs (as well as passport control) in Ireland. In Frankfurt, you will just change planes.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Indeed. And it will probably be quite a bit quicker.

Next time, though, I suggest you book US Airways direct from PHL-DUB, which gives you the added substantial advantage of clearing USCBP in DUB on your way back.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Thanks. It is a saver reward ticket so had to juggle flights to find a seat on the dates I wanted. I am also visiting BRU so the ticket is TPA-PHL-FRA-DUB-FRA-BRU-LHR-IAD-TPA.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by olm022
If your luggage is checked through to DUB, then you will clear customs (as well as passport control) in Ireland. In Frankfurt, you will just change planes.
This is half true: Passport control in Ireland because you stay internationally in Frankfurt (in partcular you do not enter Schengen), customs for checked luggage in Ireland because Europe is civilized and we do not want our guests to schlepp luggage when transfering. However: Customs for hand luggage, duty free goods, cash and what else you might carry with you personally in Frankfurt because you enter into the EU in Frankfurt. On your return flight, passport control will be in FRA, however, no customs at all, because you stay intra EU. No passport control between Frankfurt and Brussels.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
This is half true: Passport control in Ireland because you stay internationally in Frankfurt (in partcular you do not enter Schengen), customs for checked luggage in Ireland because Europe is civilized and we do not want our guests to schlepp luggage when transfering. However: Customs for hand luggage, duty free goods, cash and what else you might carry with you personally in Frankfurt because you enter into the EU in Frankfurt. On your return flight, passport control will be in FRA, however, no customs at all, because you stay intra EU. No passport control between Frankfurt and Brussels.
This is two-third true: On the return flight, passport control will be in BRU.

Last edited by olm022; Mar 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olm022
This is third true: On the return flight, passport control will be in BRU.
Why that? Return flight is: DUB-FRA-BRU. Arriving from DUB the OP enters the Schengen region in Frankfurt and passport control will certainly be in Frankfurt. Or do we have a different understanding of his return flight?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lets do it systematically:

PHL-FRA: HLC
FRA-DUB: PP, CLC
DUB-FRA: PP
FRA-BRU: --
BRU-LHR: PP

PP = Passport
CLC = Checked luggage customs
HLC = Hand luggage customs
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why that? Return flight is: DUB-FRA-BRU. Arriving from DUB the OP enters the Schengen region in Frankfurt and passport control will certainly be in Frankfurt. Or do we have a different understanding of his return flight?
Perhaps we understand his/her return differently: TPA-PHL-FRA-DUB-FRA-BRU-LHR-IAD-TPA.

I assumed that the return is DUB-FRA-BRU-LHR-IAD-TPA, hence passport control would be in FRA for entering the Schengen and also in BRU when leaving the zone on the flight to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.