Search

M&M - SAA miles accrual on codeshares - Qatar and Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G | OW Sapphire
M&M - SAA miles accrual on codeshares - Qatar and Qantas

Hello all,

I'm still quite new to this world of mileage, and would like to request some help from you.

I'm researching some vacations - Buenos Aires and Sydney - departing from MPM.

With Matrix, I've been able to find nice fares in C+F if the flight is marketed as SAA but actually operated by either Qatar Airways and LAM (JJ) (stopover in Doha, crazy trip) or Qantas.
These prices are sometimes half the price of the similar flights operated and marketed by SAA.

How does it work for mileage accrual?
In M&M website there is no mention of Qantas, and Qatar Airways only accrue miles between Doha and Germany.

In this website http://tools.wanderingaramean.com/To...e_Mapping.aspx, i see no mention of SAA, Qantas or Qatar Airways, so i'm a bit lost.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by pjso; Feb 9, 2011 at 2:02 am Reason: adding JJ - LAM
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by pjso
How does it work for mileage accrual?
In M&M website there is no mention of Qantas, and Qatar Airways only accrue miles between Doha and Germany.
That tells you all you need to know. There is no way to earn M&M mileage credit on Qantas, and on Qatar Airways, mileage earning is restricted to DOH-FRA-DOH and DOH-MUC-DOH.

In general, M&M goes by which carrier operates the flight in question when crediting codeshare flights. If the operating carrier is not a M&M partner, then no miles are given (with two or three exceptions on specific flights in Europe).

If you want to earn miles on the fares you mention, the only sure way of getting them would be to sign up for SAA Voyager, which is not a particularly good FFP, in my opinion.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex0683de
That tells you all you need to know. There is no way to earn M&M mileage credit on Qantas, and on Qatar Airways, mileage earning is restricted to DOH-FRA-DOH and DOH-MUC-DOH.

In general, M&M goes by which carrier operates the flight in question when crediting codeshare flights. If the operating carrier is not a M&M partner, then no miles are given (with two or three exceptions on specific flights in Europe).

If you want to earn miles on the fares you mention, the only sure way of getting them would be to sign up for SAA Voyager, which is not a particularly good FFP, in my opinion.
Thank you for your input.
So, to be clear, if I chose the other way around, i.e., if the flight is marketed as Qantas/Qatar/Whatever, but is operated by SAA, i am eligible for miles in MM, correct?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: LH FTL
[QUOTE]on Qatar Airways, mileage earning is restricted to DOH-FRA-DOH and DOH-MUC-DOH.[QUOTE]

Has there been a recent change? About 1.5 years ago I flew FRA - DOH - DAR - DOH - FRA on QR and got miles to my M&M account for the whole trip, also the DOH - DAR leg.
Just curious, don't want to crash the thread
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
[QUOTE=ex-koelner;15831646][QUOTE]on Qatar Airways, mileage earning is restricted to DOH-FRA-DOH and DOH-MUC-DOH.

Has there been a recent change? About 1.5 years ago I flew FRA - DOH - DAR - DOH - FRA on QR and got miles to my M&M account for the whole trip, also the DOH - DAR leg.
Just curious, don't want to crash the thread
Not that recent. IIRC October 2009.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH FTL
[QUOTE=capetonian;15833409][QUOTE=ex-koelner;15831646]
on Qatar Airways, mileage earning is restricted to DOH-FRA-DOH and DOH-MUC-DOH.

Not that recent. IIRC October 2009.
Good to know. I flew before...
But what about TXL - DOH, btw?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
[QUOTE=ex-koelner;15833456][QUOTE=capetonian;15833409]
Originally Posted by ex-koelner

Good to know. I flew before...
But what about TXL - DOH, btw?
Nope, only FRA and MUC, seemingly. http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002

Qatar are also about to start a 3 times Weekly from Stuttgart to Doha, and that's not mentioned, either. I suppose i does say selected services only, but it does seem pretty shoddy.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
seems BMI will give you miles on Qatar
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
So, to be clear, if I chose the other way around, i.e., if the flight is marketed as Qantas/Qatar/Whatever, but is operated by SAA, i am eligible for miles in MM, correct?
Yes, as long as the operating carrier is a *A member, benefits and mileage apply (supposing the marketing carrier's booking class maps into an eligible one with the *A operating carrier).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:45 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Don't think so, never seen that.

Example: If you book VIE-TSR on OS-metal, but with TAROM-flightnumber, you won't get any miles with M&M.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by matt in france

Qatar are also about to start a 3 times Weekly from Stuttgart to Doha, and that's not mentioned, either. I suppose i does say selected services only, but it does seem pretty shoddy.

Correct, TXL is not part of the German mileage earning deal. Only on QR flights to and from MUC or FRA (from/to DOH) will you earn miles on MM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rorschi
Don't think so, never seen that.

Example: If you book VIE-TSR on OS-metal, but with TAROM-flightnumber, you won't get any miles with M&M.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...keted-non.html
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
I'll start flying any SAA operated flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.