Lufthansa first timer

Old Feb 1, 11, 7:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 819
Lufthansa first timer

Forgive my ignorance, and I cannot find anything on Lufthansa's web site either, but I am flying them from MUN-IST soon. As it is my first European trip, I am somewhat unfamilar with logistics. Does Lufthansa charge for alcoholic drinks? Hoe about food? Their web site says they have a selection of fine wines, what about liquor or beer? Do they accept cash? If so, do I need Euro's or are US dollars OK? Thanks for any help......
cdepks is offline  
Old Feb 1, 11, 7:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HAM
Posts: 556
all drinks are free.
food quality depends on your class of service, C or Y
rotanes is offline  
Old Feb 1, 11, 8:55 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by cdepks View Post
Do they accept cash? If so, do I need Euro's or are US dollars OK?
As a general remark, USD are useless in Euroland.
Bob'sYourUncle is offline  
Old Feb 1, 11, 9:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SZG
Posts: 3,936
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle View Post
As a general remark, USD are useless in Euroland.
unless you only want to eat at golden arches!
sentom is offline  
Old Feb 1, 11, 9:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HAM
Posts: 556
Originally Posted by cdepks View Post
Forgive my ignorance, and I cannot find anything on Lufthansa's web site either, but I am flying them from MUN-IST soon....
Just for curiosity:
MUN ist the 3-letter code for Quiriquire Airport in Venezuela.
Make sure, your flight ist MUC-IST and not MUN-IST
rotanes is offline  
Old Feb 1, 11, 9:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,063
You have to at least 16 years old for beer and wine, hard liquor requires 18 years! Cheers!
Fendant is offline  
Old Feb 1, 11, 1:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich, Germany
Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,045
Originally Posted by cdepks View Post
Does Lufthansa charge for alcoholic drinks? Hoe about food? Their web site says they have a selection of fine wines, what about liquor or beer? Do they accept cash? If so, do I need Euro's or are US dollars OK? Thanks for any help......
It seems people are so used that US airlines charge for food and alcoholic drinks that they are totally puzzled that in other parts of the world you these things still for free. I remember the time when it was the other way around and people got outraged because main airlines started to charge you for such things. Oh good old times.
flyingfkb is offline  
Old Feb 2, 11, 6:24 am
  #8  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,404
Remember the days you had to pay to 'rent' the inflight headsets which were airtubes to a speaker in the armrest... to watch the movie shown on projector screens ahead. Its not been so long since I flew one of those (AFAIR BKK-MUC on a ratty MD11 in October 2000 in C )
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Feb 2, 11, 10:58 am
  #9  
AHN
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BGO
Programs: SK EBG
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Remember the days you had to pay to 'rent' the inflight headsets which were airtubes to a speaker in the armrest... to watch the movie shown on projector screens ahead. Its not been so long since I flew one of those (AFAIR BKK-MUC on a ratty MD11 in October 2000 in C )
10 years ago is practically yesterday!
AHN is offline  
Old Feb 3, 11, 2:24 am
  #10  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,404
Its all relative...
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:18 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CPH (Swedish side)
Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Posts: 194
Sorry to hijack this thread but thought it was better than creating a new one.

I was a little bit puzzled to see alcohol is free on a flight within Europe. Is that within all European destinations or over a certain flight hours?

I have 2 flights. Both economy. First is CPH-MUC (actually Lufthansa Citilines, not sure if that makes it totally different?) and the second FRA-CPH on normal Lufthansa.

Can I expect free alcohol on these flights too?

Last edited by micke100; Feb 4, 11 at 3:21 am Reason: Clarification
micke100 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:22 am
  #12  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,067
Originally Posted by micke100 View Post
I have 2 flights. Both economy. First is CPH-MUC (actually Lufthansa Citilines, not sure if that makes it totally different?) and the second FRA-CPH on normal Lufthansa.

Can I expect free alcohol on these flights too?
Yes.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:23 am
  #13  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,404
Free alcohol in economy on all routes at any time. Red, white, sparkling wine, one kind of beer.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CPH (Swedish side)
Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Posts: 194
And in SAS I believe I have to pay to get a glass of water. Unbelieveble.
micke100 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:40 am
  #15  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,404
Its always interesting to fly Scandinavia-Germany on LH and see all the locals pull out their wallets when the drinks cart comes down the isle and then note with surprise that anything on the cart can be had for free
oliver2002 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread