747 vs 340-600 in F

Old Jan 29, 11, 4:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Programs: AA Platinum DL PLat, CO Gold,US Gold Avis Chairman, Centurion Amex
Posts: 11
747 vs 340-600 in F

I am flying to Russia this summer and have the choice of F in a 747 via FRA or 340-600 via DUS from Chicago. I have never flown LH in F. any suggestions?

I wasn't sure I could use the FCT in FRA if going on LH to Russia in C

Thanks
flyingmd817 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:02 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Posts: 1,734
Originally Posted by flyingmd817 View Post
I am flying to Russia this summer and have the choice of F in a 747 via FRA or 340-600 via DUS from Chicago. I have never flown LH in F. any suggestions?

I wasn't sure I could use the FCT in FRA if going on LH to Russia in C

Thanks
You can use the FCT in FRA. For FCT access you need a boarding pass for the F cabin on an LH/LX flight arriving on the same day you wish to access the FCT AND, as the FCT is a departure lounge only, a valid bp for a LH/LX/AUA flight departing from FRA in any class.

Although there are no dedicated F-Class ground services in DUS, I recommend you to take the flight on the A340 via DUS. The F-cabin is smaller and you have the chance to get a single window seat, whereas the F cabin on 747 has a 2x2 seating map (although this will change soon).
Additionaly, connecting in DUS is a breeze. Doing so in FRA is even in F a hassle, just because of the sheer size of that airport.
mamb0 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Posts: 2,563
It's up to you...you could get lucky with a retroed 744 and the FCT would be a treat, but the 346 is better imo than the old/current 744 and DUS is easier to navigate.
johndeere19 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 11, 6:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SYD & 35K ft.
Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Posts: 1,911
Are LH upgrading their existing fleet of 747-400's with the new F?

Cheers,

AG.
Airgroovin is offline  
Old Jan 29, 11, 7:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AMS
Programs: BA, TK, LH, KL
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by Airgroovin' View Post
Are LH upgrading their existing fleet of 747-400's with the new F?

Cheers,

AG.
No. Some of the 747 will get refurbished with another lay out. The window seat of every two seater will be come a 2 m long bed. So every guest will get a seat and a bed (so max of 8 guest on upperdeck 747).
amsflyboy is offline  
Old Jan 29, 11, 8:32 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SFO/JFK/MGA
Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Posts: 1,946
Originally Posted by johndeere19 View Post
It's up to you...you could get lucky with a retroed 744 and the FCT would be a treat, but the 346 is better imo than the old/current 744 and DUS is easier to navigate.
I prefer the 346 to the 747. It is more roomy and newer feeling. Very quite up front.
zoegksf is offline  
Old Jan 30, 11, 9:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BOS
Programs: UA 2P, DL PM
Posts: 366
If OP is flying in the summer, the 744 will have a guaranteed blocked seat next to them. So only 8 in F now
cityboy340 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 11, 12:17 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX/PHL
Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP75k, Nat'l Executive, and oh yea..Can't forget my UA, MR and UR collections
Posts: 879
I have an F ticket FRA-YYC at the end of November (scheduled to be on a 343). Any chance I'll be seeing the new F seats?

Sure hope so!
ariyo15 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 11, 2:27 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dusseldorf
Programs: LH M+M (dropped to blue since hardly flying with them anymore), EY Guest Silver
Posts: 541
Not that it makes a difference in F, but ORD-DUS is operated by an A340-300 and not an A340-600....
captainiglo is offline  
Old Jan 31, 11, 2:37 am
  #10  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 70,793
Originally Posted by ariyo15 View Post
I have an F ticket FRA-YYC at the end of November (scheduled to be on a 343). Any chance I'll be seeing the new F seats?

Sure hope so!
Nope. A380 has new F. 747 will get modified F. No change for A340s F.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 31, 11, 3:11 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SZG
Posts: 3,936
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Nope. A380 has new F. 747 will get modified F. No change for A340s F.
the 333/340 will of course get new F, same as in 380 with slight modifications...
sentom is offline  
Old Jan 31, 11, 3:29 am
  #12  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,063
Originally Posted by sentom View Post
the 333/340 will of course get new F, same as in 380 with slight modifications...
In less than 5 years!
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Jan 31, 11, 8:48 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SZG
Posts: 3,936
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
i know, none the less, there will be a retrofit...
sentom is offline  
Old Jan 31, 11, 10:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Posts: 2,563
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Nope. A380 has new F. 747 will get modified F. No change for A340s F.
False, 2 346s and 1 343 going under retro right now.
johndeere19 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 11, 11:56 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,161
Originally Posted by johndeere19 View Post
False, 2 346s and 1 343 going under retro right now.
Are the 346s the ones that previously had only C and no F?
TRAVELSIG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread