snow chaos in new york december 2010 - what are my rights?

Old Jan 27, 11, 2:41 am
Original Poster

snow chaos in new york december 2010 - what are my rights?

i was booked on a lufthansa flight from jfk to fra on monday, dec. 27.

with the blizzard moving in on sunday lufthansa decided to cancel all their flights to new york and newark. monday morning it took us a while to get lufthansa to book us on a singapore airlines flight - dec. 27. singapore airlines didn't cancel their flights to new york.

so instead of arriving in fra on dec. 28 around 5:50am, we arrived dec. 28 at 8pm.

it's so hard to get any information: what are my rights? do i have any? or because it was weather related i just have to get over it?

thanks!
Old Jan 27, 11, 12:17 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by nyc1234 View Post

with the blizzard moving in on sunday lufthansa decided to cancel all their flights to new york and newark. monday morning it took us a while to get lufthansa to book us on a singapore airlines flight - dec. 27. singapore airlines didn't cancel their flights to new york.

so instead of arriving in fra on dec. 28 around 5:50am, we arrived dec. 28 at 8pm.

it's so hard to get any information: what are my rights? do i have any? or because it was weather related i just have to get over it?

thanks!
Get over it. You were delayed 14 hours because of weather, which is out of the airline's control. Many others faced far greater inconveniences/delays. The fact that you were "only" 14 hours late is actually a small miracle. Lufthansa did you a favor by rebooking you on Singapore...they could have bumped you to the next available Lufthansa flight, which might have been days later.
Old Jan 27, 11, 2:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
... and you got IFE on your SQ flight, instead of a dull overhead screen on the LH 744. Since there were people all-over the place who had to sleep 2-3 days in the airports, consider yourself lucky.
Old Jan 27, 11, 2:50 pm

Programs: Status...expired
You have the right to come on here and complain, but that's about it. Sounds like you got just about the best possible outcome given the circumstances. I'd actually be thankful that they put you on a different airline and say they went above what was required. Since the event was due to weather (and out the airline's control), they only have to put you on the next LH flight.
Old Jan 27, 11, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, M&M SEN,FB Gold,EI Gold Circle Elite,HHonors Gold, A-Club Platinum, Goldpoints Silver
you had the right to get some meals and make 2 phone calls. If you had to stay over night, you had the right to get a hotel room.
If you didn't get it, you can get a compensation for your cost (food, calls, hotel).
Old Jan 27, 11, 4:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly View Post
You have the right to come on here and complain, but that's about it. Sounds like you got just about the best possible outcome given the circumstances. I'd actually be thankful that they put you on a different airline and say they went above what was required. Since the event was due to weather (and out the airline's control), they only have to put you on the next LH flight.
+1. By the way, how was the SQ flight? Were you in a premium cabin?
Old Jan 28, 11, 4:08 am
Original Poster

i know that i was lucky to get to fra "only" 14 hours later. people at the airport were waiting for their air india or emirates flight for over 2 days.

my question was regarding the compensation system in europe. and also, as i wrote before, singapore airlines flew from fra to jfk and back on dec. 27. lufthansa didn't.

no i flew economy. the service was - as always with singapore - very good. but too be honest, i didn't care about the ife, since we got on board at 5am and finally left 2 hours later, with being at the airport since 8pm already.
Old Jan 28, 11, 4:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
my question was regarding the compensation system in europe. and also, as i wrote before, singapore airlines flew from fra to jfk and back on dec. 27. lufthansa didn't.
As you will see in this thread, weather-related cancellations entitle you to the right to care, but not compensation.

Weather in FRA before and after Christmas caused a lot of cancellations and delays which might have had knock-on effects on LH operations.
Old Jan 28, 11, 5:40 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
i know that i was lucky to get to fra "only" 14 hours later. people at the airport were waiting for their air india or emirates flight for over 2 days.

my question was regarding the compensation system in europe.
So you consider yourself lucky, got to your destination faster than almost all others in the same situation and still look for a compensation.

In what a crazy world do we live today...
Old Jan 28, 11, 7:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Four and five days later the news was still showing people camped out at the New York airports waiting for a flight, and they were getting nothing from the airlines. They were living pretty much off vending machine food, as they didn't want to leave in case they could get a seat.

I really think you should be thanking the airlines for getting you out in such a short time after one of the worst snow storms ever in New York.
Old Jan 28, 11, 11:57 am

thanks!
Little help with a single exception upthread so if you are interested your rights are here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...4R0261:EN:HTML

Article 9 Right to Care is presumably what you were looking for. Dependent on the exact reason for the cancellation, compensation may be payable but the airline has a defence of proving 'extraordinary circumstances' in Art 5.3. Some examples of these circumstances can be found at Recitals (14) and (15) at the start of the Regulation.

The Regulation applies to all EU-based carriers and on all carriers when departing the EU.

Trust this is useful for both you and the uninformed upthread.
Old Jan 28, 11, 1:40 pm

Flying SQ Y instead of LH Y is almost like a free upgrade, so I wouldn't complain too much Yes, 14 hours is a lot, but they tried hard and with the weather, there simply wasn't much choice for them. Calm down, and enjoy that you had some hot 25 year stewardesses with a nice Sling (probably many of them) and good IFE (instead of none) for free

Search this Thread