snow chaos in new york december 2010 - what are my rights?

Old Jan 27, 11, 2:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22
snow chaos in new york december 2010 - what are my rights?

i was booked on a lufthansa flight from jfk to fra on monday, dec. 27.

with the blizzard moving in on sunday lufthansa decided to cancel all their flights to new york and newark. monday morning it took us a while to get lufthansa to book us on a singapore airlines flight - dec. 27. singapore airlines didn't cancel their flights to new york.

so instead of arriving in fra on dec. 28 around 5:50am, we arrived dec. 28 at 8pm.

it's so hard to get any information: what are my rights? do i have any? or because it was weather related i just have to get over it?

thanks!
nyc1234 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 11, 12:17 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,341
Originally Posted by nyc1234 View Post
i was booked on a lufthansa flight from jfk to fra on monday, dec. 27.

with the blizzard moving in on sunday lufthansa decided to cancel all their flights to new york and newark. monday morning it took us a while to get lufthansa to book us on a singapore airlines flight - dec. 27. singapore airlines didn't cancel their flights to new york.

so instead of arriving in fra on dec. 28 around 5:50am, we arrived dec. 28 at 8pm.

it's so hard to get any information: what are my rights? do i have any? or because it was weather related i just have to get over it?

thanks!
Get over it. You were delayed 14 hours because of weather, which is out of the airline's control. Many others faced far greater inconveniences/delays. The fact that you were "only" 14 hours late is actually a small miracle. Lufthansa did you a favor by rebooking you on Singapore...they could have bumped you to the next available Lufthansa flight, which might have been days later.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Jan 27, 11, 2:47 pm
  #3  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Posts: 1,658
... and you got IFE on your SQ flight, instead of a dull overhead screen on the LH 744. Since there were people all-over the place who had to sleep 2-3 days in the airports, consider yourself lucky.
CAlex is offline  
Old Jan 27, 11, 2:50 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Trenton, NJ (PHL, EWR)
Programs: Status...expired
Posts: 1,632
You have the right to come on here and complain, but that's about it. Sounds like you got just about the best possible outcome given the circumstances. I'd actually be thankful that they put you on a different airline and say they went above what was required. Since the event was due to weather (and out the airline's control), they only have to put you on the next LH flight.
FlyIgglesFly is offline  
Old Jan 27, 11, 4:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: near FRA
Programs: BA Silver, M&M SEN,FB Gold,EI Gold Circle Elite,HHonors Gold, A-Club Platinum, Goldpoints Silver
Posts: 150
you had the right to get some meals and make 2 phone calls. If you had to stay over night, you had the right to get a hotel room.
If you didn't get it, you can get a compensation for your cost (food, calls, hotel).
Ventus2 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 11, 4:32 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Crystal City, VA
Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 2,614
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly View Post
You have the right to come on here and complain, but that's about it. Sounds like you got just about the best possible outcome given the circumstances. I'd actually be thankful that they put you on a different airline and say they went above what was required. Since the event was due to weather (and out the airline's control), they only have to put you on the next LH flight.
+1. By the way, how was the SQ flight? Were you in a premium cabin?
mauiUAflyer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 11, 4:08 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22
i know that i was lucky to get to fra "only" 14 hours later. people at the airport were waiting for their air india or emirates flight for over 2 days.

my question was regarding the compensation system in europe. and also, as i wrote before, singapore airlines flew from fra to jfk and back on dec. 27. lufthansa didn't.

no i flew economy. the service was - as always with singapore - very good. but too be honest, i didn't care about the ife, since we got on board at 5am and finally left 2 hours later, with being at the airport since 8pm already.
nyc1234 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 11, 4:42 am
  #8  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,070
Originally Posted by nyc1234 View Post
my question was regarding the compensation system in europe. and also, as i wrote before, singapore airlines flew from fra to jfk and back on dec. 27. lufthansa didn't.
As you will see in this thread, weather-related cancellations entitle you to the right to care, but not compensation.

Weather in FRA before and after Christmas caused a lot of cancellations and delays which might have had knock-on effects on LH operations.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Jan 28, 11, 5:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FRA
Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Posts: 4,210
Originally Posted by nyc1234 View Post
i know that i was lucky to get to fra "only" 14 hours later. people at the airport were waiting for their air india or emirates flight for over 2 days.

my question was regarding the compensation system in europe.
So you consider yourself lucky, got to your destination faster than almost all others in the same situation and still look for a compensation.

In what a crazy world do we live today...
SleepOverGreenland is online now  
Old Jan 28, 11, 7:58 am
  #10  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,801
Four and five days later the news was still showing people camped out at the New York airports waiting for a flight, and they were getting nothing from the airlines. They were living pretty much off vending machine food, as they didn't want to leave in case they could get a seat.

I really think you should be thanking the airlines for getting you out in such a short time after one of the worst snow storms ever in New York.
cordelli is offline  
Old Jan 28, 11, 11:57 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by nyc1234 View Post
i was booked on a lufthansa flight from jfk to fra on monday, dec. 27.

with the blizzard moving in on sunday lufthansa decided to cancel all their flights to new york and newark. monday morning it took us a while to get lufthansa to book us on a singapore airlines flight - dec. 27. singapore airlines didn't cancel their flights to new york.

so instead of arriving in fra on dec. 28 around 5:50am, we arrived dec. 28 at 8pm.

it's so hard to get any information: what are my rights? do i have any? or because it was weather related i just have to get over it?

thanks!
Little help with a single exception upthread so if you are interested your rights are here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...4R0261:EN:HTML

Article 9 Right to Care is presumably what you were looking for. Dependent on the exact reason for the cancellation, compensation may be payable but the airline has a defence of proving 'extraordinary circumstances' in Art 5.3. Some examples of these circumstances can be found at Recitals (14) and (15) at the start of the Regulation.

The Regulation applies to all EU-based carriers and on all carriers when departing the EU.

Trust this is useful for both you and the uninformed upthread.
Centipede100 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 11, 1:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 7,580
Flying SQ Y instead of LH Y is almost like a free upgrade, so I wouldn't complain too much Yes, 14 hours is a lot, but they tried hard and with the weather, there simply wasn't much choice for them. Calm down, and enjoy that you had some hot 25 year stewardesses with a nice Sling (probably many of them) and good IFE (instead of none) for free
YuropFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread