LH Upgrades with UA miles?

Old Jan 18, 11, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

LH Upgrades with UA miles?

I fly LH US to Middle East four or five times per year, and credit my UA Mileage Plus account number. Since it's on my dime, it's in coach:

Several questions:

1. Can I use UA miles to upgrade to Business? How many miles would that require and what's the procedure?

2. UA just send me an offer to spend about $1500 to become Premier, is this worth while and will it help in getting upgrades on LH?

3. How can I use the LH lounges in Frankfurt?

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 11, 6:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ama66 View Post
1. Can I use UA miles to upgrade to Business? How many miles would that require and what's the procedure?
These are questions for the UA forum. Check the links below about using UA miles for *A upgrades and miles needed. It looks like you can only upgrade from fairly expensive booking classes (i.e. 20k miles to upgrade from Y or B).

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52927,00.html
http://www.united.com/ual/asset/SA_u...art_021110.pdf

2. UA just send me an offer to spend about $1500 to become Premier, is this worth while and will it help in getting upgrades on LH?
I doubt it helps you getting upgrades on LH but there are no doubt other benefits which you should ask about in the UA forum.

3. How can I use the LH lounges in Frankfurt?
Only if you qualify as *G or travel in C or F. As UA Premier (*S) you don't have access to LH lounges if travelling in Y.
Old Jan 18, 11, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I'd just add that as a Premier, you do get a 25% bonus on the miles you fly, which makes it that much easier to keep status and make the next level.
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:12 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by CrispyRice View Post
I'd just add that as a Premier, you do get a 25% bonus on the miles you fly, which makes it that much easier to keep status and make the next level.
Not for keeping status. LH's 25% is also for the EQM, UA's is not!
Old Jan 19, 11, 4:06 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ama66 View Post
..1. Can I use UA miles to upgrade to Business? How many miles would that require and what's the procedure?
You can if booked in the coach classes Y or B (or in the Biz classes C or D) on an LH operated flight under LH flight number iff upgrade inventory is available.

That means absolutely no code share tickets!

Details here.

Upgrade cost is 30K miles per direction.

B fares are filthily expensive and Ys even more so. It might be wiser to buy the cheapest upgradable fare on LH (that would be V) and then use printed Systemwide Upgrade certificates to process the ug.

You can use the lounges if you travel in Biz, not as a Premier.

Search this Thread